• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He hasn't won the Vuelta. And the Tour is packed with the strongest GC contenders.
A podium spot is up for grabs. Or have folk on here already decided who the first three are. Anything can happen between now and the Tour, and even during the Tour. Maybe he could do a Carapaz, TGH, Hindley, or Remco and win against the odds in a GT again.

I like how he hasn't given up hope of getting back to the top. Little by little, he's getting there, and I hope he progresses well throughout the season.

A podium spot is up for grabs. Or have folk on here already decided who the first three are. Anything can happen between now and the Tour, and even during the Tour. Maybe he could do a Carapaz, TGH, Hindley, or Remco and win against the odds in a GT again.

I like how he hasn't given up hope of getting back to the top. Little by little, he's getting there, and I hope he progresses well throughout the season.
Yeah, but he has won the Tour. He needs the Vuelta on his palmares.

For what happened to him, I would like to see him winning Vuelta even if it's almost impossible with Vingegaard there. However, another face of him would not like to see him winning Vuelta because a rider with his talent can't be in the same league as Merckx, Froome, Contador, Hinault, etc. Even Nibali shouldn't belong there.

For what happened to him, I would like to see him winning Vuelta even if it's almost impossible with Vingegaard there. However, another face of him would not like to see him winning Vuelta because a rider with his talent can't be in the same league as Merckx, Froome, Contador, Hinault, etc. Even Nibali shouldn't belong there.
What do you know?
You almost want a rider not to perform even though he has immense talent, but cannot accept it. What are you talking about?
Remember that he was the one who started this youth movement, not Pogacar!

What do you know?
You almost want a rider not to perform even though he has immense talent, but cannot accept it. What are you talking about?
Remember that he was the one who started this youth movement, not Pogacar!
He doesn't have the talent/capacity to be in the same league of Contador, Froome, etc. Not in a million years. Winning Giro, Tour and Vuelta is for legens of this sports, not riders like Bernal. Even if he didn't have that horrible crash, he would not be able to beat the likes of Pogi or Vingegaard. Even his Tour win was extremely lucky, specially after Froome's crash.

He doesn't have the talent/capacity to be in the same league of Contador, Froome, etc. Not in a million years. Winning Giro, Tour and Vuelta is for legens of this sports, not riders like Bernal. Even if he didn't have that horrible crash, he would not be able to beat the likes of Pogi or Vingegaard. Even his Tour win was extremely lucky, specially after Froome's crash.
Everyone who wins all three GT is a legend.

I can assure you that he has more talent than Froome!
You don't need million years.

I'm not sure yet if he can regain the necessary stamina.

5th in the Vuelta last year would mean beating Landa there. Possible (hopefully), but it's another step up in addition to what he already has done.
He did complete both GTs last season, which was probably an important step into what we are seeing now.

He got and got better with each stage here.

His body seems to be responding and confidence is back.

Might not be able to do anything about Vingegaard or Pog, but he is definitely not far off anyone else.

Winning Giro, Tour and Vuelta is for riders who manage to win Giro, Tour and Vuelta. Whether this is a sufficient or necessary condition to be considered a legend of the sport is just a matter of opinion.

Reactions: xo 1 and Sandisfan
If talent is related to big injuries, then yeah he doesn't but Bernal certainly has the innate talent on the level of those guys. The Tour win stuff is absolute bollocks anyway. Bernal was seen as one of if not the top favourites going in and was also seen as that for the Giro before he crashed in training and had to forgo the start there. He was also quite competitive early on in 2020 Tour even struggling with a back injury that would ultimately lead him to DNF the Tour and have to take months off the bike and spend large parts of the next year rehabbing and still having issues with it

You'd think Bernal didn't have incredible performances constantly in 2017-2018-2019 by the way certain people characterise his career.