• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So the 4 best VO2 max test are Norwegians..?

Recorded yes, looks like it.

It seems quite simple. Either you make something out of this capacity like Dæhlie, LeMond, Big Mig, Svan did or you don't. Like Svendsen (retired at the age 20 due to lack of motivation), Bjerke or Arvesen (U23 world champion beating Freire in a sprint, still had a really good career).

Sled-dog huskies have been recorded at 240 ml/kg/min. Can you beat that, Wouter Poels. ;)

This is very limited data. Hinault had a number over 90 as well. You would expect Eddy Merckx likewise.

It has been talked a lot on the Clinic I believe about the method of measurement as well. There was an explanation as to why those Norwegians Cross Country athletes had the biggest numbers recorded. Not sure about the thread.

Here is some reading about Lemond and Hinault. It is nice reading. Enjoy. (Hope I am not derailing the thread too much).

http://www.gitaneusa.com/Hinault.asp

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/oralhistory/lemond.html

Vo2 max is also different for different sports, which in turn is affected by the sport you do. In general athletes score higher on a vo2 maxt test in their own sport, yet some sports get higher measures on average. I did 2 vo2 max tests a week apart and scored higher on the treadmill despite the fact that I cycle a lot more than I run.

Also, its possible for amatures to score in the high 80s too.

If I've understood it correctly, VO2 max is more about really intensive, above threshold, aerobic stuff bordering anaerobic and therefore favours more explosive endurance athletes over the more diesel type of riders who can sustain a bit lower power for much longer. I don't know if Im completely off here, but a 1 hour FTP-test (and the rider's weight as a bonus) should tell you more about the athlete, alltho we again face a similar problem - can the athlete sustain that for 4-5 hours, can the athletice reproduce that same power the day after (or something very similar) etc. etc.

FTP, lactate or anaerobic threshold and ventilatory threshold are all terms describing a roughly similar thing and it's usually around 75-80% of the VO2 max but it could be higher in great endurance athletes.

Vo2 max is usually applicable to efforts of 3-8 minutes. There are formula's predicting how riders perform over different durations, but you rarely see consistent effort longer than an hour by top riders

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
A few weeks ago Beppe Conti mentioned Movistar and Sky.
That said, I could also see Astana or Saronni's team trying to buy him out of his contract.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Movistar would be a terrible choice. They already have quintana for the next 5 years at least
I think Astana would be the smartest from a sporting perspective, but obviously hoping for Movistar.

Incredible consistency.
Astanas has aru and miguel angel lopez. I would like to see him in trek (contador will retire next year) or bmc, these teams are very solid and don't have a leader for the next 3 years. Bernal could be that man.

But he won't be expected to lead WT-races right off the bat, that would be suicidal. Astana is a pseudo Italian team (he speaks Italian) and I'd love to see him and Lopez race together (If I cant see him and Quintana). He will still get plenty of chances to lead or co-lead.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
We don't know if Aru will actually resign with them (apparently Saronni's team and Trek are interested in him), in that case Astana would be a great option for Bernal.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
But he won't be expected to lead WT-races right off the bat, that would be suicidal. Astana is a pseudo Italian team (he speaks Italian) and I'd love to see him and Lopez race together (If I cant see him and Quintana). He will still get plenty of chances to lead or co-lead.
I'm pretty sure that bernal will have a progression very similar to the likes of contador and quintana. I think in 3 years he will be in contention for gt's. Until there he has to race minor races but i want him to be leader in those minor races and in movistar is impossible because they have valverde (who is racing in a very strong level), quintana and marc soler is flourishing in a future gt contender. In my opinion movistar would be a terrible choice.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Second today in Appennino, which is a great result for him but a bad one for the team, as they had three riders in the final group of six. However, in more important news: two World Tour teams have an offer on the table for his services. We already heard about Movistar making an enquiry for Bernal, but now a second team has done so, too.

https://twitter.com/mundociclistico/status/851166076117413893
BMC would be my guess. They have the $$$ and are way short on climbers.

It would also be entertaining to see the Movistar-BMC beef continue.

Astana is also a serious possibility, of course. Sky may also need a future leader for the Giro...

Sky would still be better than Saronni to be honest. Probably it's better to stay with Savio for his progress than to stagnant at Abu Dhabi.

Let Abu Dhabi get Aru. If he fails again dramatically this season I guess Astana got little desire to match a big offer from Saronni or Trek anyway. Would be better for the Kazakhs to get back Landa, add Bernal and build a classics squad around Lutsenko instead. They need to spend their cash wisely nowadays.

Re:

portugal11 said:
Movistar would be a terrible choice. They already have quintana for the next 5 years at least

Yes, because Quintana will be at the start of every race :rolleyes: Why do you think Movistar is a terrible choice? The last seasons they have developed young riders very well like I.Izagirre, Jesus Herrada, Lobato, Quintana and more recently Soler and Fernandez. There are plenty of minor races where he could lead, even the likes of Romandie, Pologne and why not P-N.

Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
portugal11 said:

Yes, because Quintana will be at the start of every race :rolleyes: Why do you think Movistar is a terrible choice? The last seasons they have developed young riders very well like I.Izagirre, Jesus Herrada, Lobato, Quintana and more recently Soler and Fernandez. There are plenty of minor races where he could lead, even the likes of Romandie, Pologne and why not P-N.

Movistar will be very good for his career development but he'll have to leave them after 3-4 years to become a GT leader.

Quintana will be there for at least 7-8 years and Marc Soler is showing great potential as a future GC contender and being Spanish , Movistar will obviously retain him.

TRENDING THREADS