• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are you being sarcastic?

Is there any moving images of the celebrations?
I am confused???
They broadcasted the whole celebration on Colombian's television. It was fantastic. He will have some issues living in Colombia now. Everyone wants to have a piece of him. He is Colombian's hero now.
He flew from Europe to Colombia and they celebrated with him in the plane. Then it was transported immediately by helicopter to Zipaquira.

I am confused???
They broadcasted the whole celebration on Colombian's television. It was fantastic. He will have some issues living in Colombia now. Everyone wants to have a piece of him. He is Colombian's hero now.
He flew from Europe to Colombia and they celebrated with him in the plane. Then it was transported immediately by helicopter to Zipaquira.

I was confused as well - as you said he only travels by plane or helicopter now and immediately add he is a humble human being, this could be seen as a contradiction, but I understand now.

Is the broadcast (or part of it) available on the internet? I've seen some ultrashort clips but can't find much else.

Well if he doesn't stagnate like some other Colombians, he is going to win a lot of climby races. I don't hold it impossible for him to win races like LBL or Fleche Wallone even.

He seems far more well rounded then Chaves or Quintana. Actually Bernal is far more like Uran, better TT, better one day abilities. Not just a pure climber like those other two

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well if he doesn't stagnate like some other Colombians, he is going to win a lot of climby races. I don't hold it impossible for him to win races like LBL or Fleche Wallone even.

He seems far more well rounded then Chaves or Quintana. Actually Bernal is far more like Uran, better TT, better one day abilities. Not just a pure climber like those other two
Yes he's a very complete rider.
He once said Lombardia is the only Monument he can win, but I also think LBL is not completely out of the question if he peaks for it. The endurance is there.

Overall this was an incredible season for him. Winning the Tour + a number of WT one week stage races and podium in a Monument at 22 years old.

Reactions: JRanton
Yes he's a very complete rider.
He once said Lombardia is the only Monument he can win, but I also think LBL is not completely out of the question if he peaks for it. The endurance is there.

Overall this was an incredible season for him. Winning the Tour + a number of WT one week stage races and podium in a Monument at 22 years old.
It's obvious LBL isn't completely out of question, but I think it's a very big step between the 2 races. Especially if you're pretty much a pure climber.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I saw a quote on Feltet.dk yesterday (which had probably been poorly translated into Danish). If we translate it back to English, the quote was:

"Il Lombardia is a big one day classic. It's much more unpredictable than a Grand Tour, and things happen that prevent you from winning."

You know you're a Grand Tour rider of some calibre when nothing ever happens there to prevent you from winning...

I saw a quote on Feltet.dk yesterday (which had probably been poorly translated into Danish). If we translate it back to English, the quote was:

"Il Lombardia is a big one day classic. It's much more unpredictable than a Grand Tour, and things happen that prevent you from winning."

You know you're a Grand Tour rider of some calibre when nothing ever happens there to prevent you from winning...
The quote seems to come originally from https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bernal-third-place-at-il-lombardia-is-a-success-for-me/
"Il Lombardia is a big one-day Classic. It's far more unpredictable than a Grand Tour and things happen that mean you don’t win," he pointed out

But I don't get the criticism about a GT rider when: 1. He's talking about Lombardia 2. He just won TdF

It's pretty clear that in one-day races, you have a mechanical, a bad day, hesitate for 10 seconds... whatever in the last hour of racing and you're gone... In a GT, chances are you have a team around and rivals are far more conservative tired from previous stages and thinking about the upcoming ones.

Think its extremely hard for a rider like Bernal to win Liege, but I wouldnt rule it out.

I think Liege is now more winnable by a range of very strong riders than it was when it finished in Ans and was very much for explosive puncheur-climbers. With the finish still on the short climb to Ans it would be nearly impossible for him. It’s not necessarily going to always be contested only by the same subset of guys as Fleche now.

Normally I'd wonder if he'd add the Vuelta, but how much is Bernal targeting the Olympics and Worlds next year?

Well, I think targeting all four is a bit too much. In theory he could ride the Tour for GC, forget about the Olympics, and then ride the Vuelta for GC also as a build up for the Worlds.

However I feel that the Olympics will likely be too big to miss and after such a hard Tour I don't think he can't prepare properly for the Vuelta. In this scenario its more likely that he does a slower build up for the Worlds and then rides the Italian classics.

Well, I think targeting all four is a bit too much. In theory he could ride the Tour for GC, forget about the Olympics, and then ride the Vuelta for GC also as a build up for the Worlds.

However I feel that the Olympics will likely be too big to miss and after such a hard Tour I don't think he can't prepare properly for the Vuelta. In this scenario its more likely that he does a slower build up for the Worlds and then rides the Italian classics.
I didn't really mean aiming for all 4, I was assuming with the Olympics and Worlds the Vuelta be a no-go, even if it would've been the logical next step for him.

In any case I do think a slower build to the season would be a little better, but that's basically the case for everyone next year.

Impressive to see how often Bernal finishes in the front of the bunch.

All of Egan's friends. All South American Ineos team.

https://www.revistamundociclistico....en-boyaca-para-afrontar-el-tour-colombia-2-1/

Team-INEOS-Boyaca-TourColombia2020.jpg

TRENDING THREADS