• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
imo he's going to do serious damage before the race is done. He finally started to look like the Bernal cycling knows today.

I also think Ineos being non-existent is a bit overblown. Lots of pulling off early and not going too deep. If Egan has his legs I think we'll see a lot more support suddenly present itself.

Bernal in the interview said about the reporter asking him why the Ineos team was at the front?:

"Because I told them to. I was feeling good. Things didn't work out the way we wanted but you have to try. If don't try you don't win. Sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. But you got to try".

About today's attack he said: "I was feeling good and I was having fun going around the streets of the city. I went by instinct. You have to enjoy the race"

There you have it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This was one of the worst climbing performance of Bernal's career in the WT, and possibly ever.

It's pretty clear something is off. Might be related to his back injury or a mistimed preparation due to lockdown or even an undisclosed illness.

I think anything happening in 2020 shouldn't automatically be taken as an indication of riders present or future level. And this applies to Bernal as to many other riders. It's been an odd year for everyone. Some respond better than others, physically and emotionally. I still consider Bernal a champion and look forward watching him fight for a GT win again soon.

This was one of the worst climbing performance of Bernal's career in the WT, and possibly ever.

It's pretty clear something is off. Might be related to his back injury or a mistimed preparation due to lockdown or even an undisclosed illness.

I think anything happening in 2020 shouldn't automatically be taken as an indication of riders present or future level. And this applies to Bernal as to many other riders. It's been an odd year for everyone. Some respond better than others, physically and emotionally. I still consider Bernal a champion and look forward watching him fight for a GT win again soon.

Agree- to finish 7 minutes down suggests it is something more than just a bad day.

Yes. I think having won the Tour de France at age 22 is a pretty good entry for Bernal's palmares. He's not looked like himself the past several weeks. I expect to see him back competing for grand tour wins in 2021.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS