• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Bernal's confidence was greatly damaged last year, therefore the change of plans for him. I was suspecting something like this would happen. However the door seems to be open in case of something going wrong at the Giro. If not injury related. JB also made comments about him not being happy. So I agree with him if that is case. Something else could have happened at the Tour last year that made JB and Bernal change the plans. Bernal looked very discouraged.

My opinion is that it will be great for him and the spectacle to go to the Giro. Italy is like his second home and he always wanted to do the Giro.

I think Bernal's confidence was greatly damaged last year, therefore the change of plans for him. I was suspecting something like this would happen. However the door seems to be open in case of something going wrong at the Giro. If not injury related. JB also made comments about him not being happy. So I agree with him if that is case. Something else could have happened at the Tour last year that made JB and Bernal change the plans. Bernal looked very discouraged.

My opinion is that it will be great for him and the spectacle to go to the Giro. Italy is like his second home and he always wanted to do the Giro.
Great for us viewers as well!!

If his back was hurt it may take more than one season to rehab and learn a riding position that doesn't cause it again. The Giro would seem to be right up his alley anyway. He's a brilliant climber on terrain that rewards it and it would be great for fans.

Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
Lots of positives. Getting those racing kilometers as he is building his base form towards Giro; easiness of outsprinting Ala in the final meters, even that we know who worked in that chasing group; finally, a clever little dig to disrupt Ala's tempo. It made me laugh when the Frenchman was clearly unhappy with Egan, having chased him, to realise he was being being played with

I thought (don't know!) the problem was longer ascents?
I'm no physician, but the back suffers due to pressure and wear and tear. The maximal forces acting upon your back in a race like today will always be more severe than in a grand tour raced over three weeks including long climbs where the pressure and watts are never as high as today. But maybe this is just my optimism for Bernal who I like as a rider?

But on the pessimist side, injury can also result from overuse (wear and tear). So I guess there is chance if his back is not fully healed it could cause problems again. But having suffered lumber problems myself I know that you can prevent such issues by strengthening your core which stabilizes the lower back. I would assume Ineos would have Bernal on a program to do just that. Lets see what eventuates but great show from him recently.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS