• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think GC riders in general are the toughest type of road cyclists. Their lifestyle demands the most sacrifices all year long. They need to be attentive and go all out basically every stage of a multi day race, while all the other riders can have multiple days off. They've learnt how to suffer the most during races.

As for Bernal...well, he is one of the best GC riders in the world which automatically makes him one of the toughest riders in my view. Then if you also consider that he excels in tough conditions, rain and cold, where the majority of riders suffer the most and if you take into account how he reacts to adversity and setbacks (in 2018 he injuried himself in a crash in Catalunya, a month later comes back strong in Romandie and in July in the Tour. Then crashes quite heavily again in San Sebastian, but comes back and next season wins the Tour. Then in 2020 he has problems with a back injury which forces him to DNF the Tour, but comes back next year and wins the Giro.)

Oh yeah, he is tough.
Thanks for the context. And yes I knew that GC riders were tough with the caveat that their physiology is unique so they can withstand conditions and circumstances non GC riders don't have the physical capacity for. But I am comparing Bernal with others of his ilk. Thanks for elaborating - I agree!

An extremely unfortunate accident, for the young, and highly talented Egan Bernal. My heart goes out to this guy. I hope and pray that he makes a full recovery. An eye-opening reminder of the dangers of road cycling.

Reactions: noob
Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
I really feel sad for Bernal. This crash and the injuries are horrific. I cannot but wonder if the modern need to keep looking at the numbers on the handlebar stem, a la Froome, may have had a part to play. The pro's are so fixated in my opinion on the data that they forget to take note of their surroundings. Particularly in training, when not in the peleton as in TdF.

Bernal out of the hospital and standing up. Good sign I guess:

Egan-Bernal-Clinica-Sabana-Alta-Medica.jpg

There were also reports of a broken knee cap, right? Surely there would be more visible effects from this (at the very least scars caused by surgery and/or bandages)? This photo is a very curious development.

Edit: apparently he was in a wheelchair for most of this press event, a.o. evidenced by below photo. This photo shows more of the damage to his knee. I'd consider it a very good sign that he can bend his knee and hip with apparent ease at this stage of his recovery.

FK7XvUPWUAAyEIf

Interview with the Doctor. You will have to use Google translate if you want to read it completely. Some conclusions from the interview:

• Walking without help? everyone is different but might be between 2 to 3 months.
  • Going back to normal? again, everyone is different but he mentioned a year. And when we say normal I think they refer to normal civil life and probably start training.
  • Most critical surgery? the one to the spine. The first priority was to identify that he could walk and have a normal life. Everything else had less importance.
  • He talked about the Knee cap surgery and that they left some hardware in there that can be removed later if needed. The surgeries in the knee were done thinking about him being and sportsman, so they left a lot more mobility that they would have done otherwise for therapy purposes.
  • He talked about the quickness of doing the surgeries and being so close to the place of the accident were very helpful.

Dr. Gutierrez is the son of a cyclist from the 80's called el "Sardino" Gutierrez. I remember him. He was a little chubby but tough as nails. Some of the stages where he was a leader at the Vuelta a Colombia were very fun to watch. He wasn't in the league with Parra and Herrera. But good cyclist nevertheless. His son never thought to be a cyclist and was always interested in being a Doctor. It is a nice coincidence that he was the main Doctor for Egan's surgeries. :)

Interview with the Doctor. You will have to use Google translate if you want to read it completely. Some conclusions from the interview:

• Walking without help? everyone is different but might be between 2 to 3 months.
  • Going back to normal? again, everyone is different but he mentioned a year. And when we say normal I think they refer to normal civil life and probably start training.
  • Most critical surgery? the one to the spine. The first priority was to identify that he could walk and have a normal life. Everything else had less importance.
  • He talked about the Knee cap surgery and that they left some hardware in there that can be removed later if needed. The surgeries in the knee were done thinking about him being and sportsman, so they left a lot more mobility that they would have done otherwise for therapy purposes.
  • He talked about the quickness of doing the surgeries and being so close to the place of the accident were very helpful.
Dr. Gutierrez is the son of a cyclist from the 80's called el "Sardino" Gutierrez. I remember him. He was a little chubby but tough as nails. Some of the stages where he was a leader at the Vuelta a Colombia were very fun to watch. He wasn't in the league with Parra and Herrera. But good cyclist nevertheless. His son never thought to be a cyclist and was always interested in being a Doctor. It is a nice coincidence that he was the main Doctor for Egan's surgeries. :)

Thanks for that summary. Interesting note about the doctor!

Reactions: Sandisfan
An extremely unfortunate accident, for the young, and highly talented Egan Bernal. My heart goes out to this guy. I hope and pray that he makes a full recovery. An eye-opening reminder of the dangers of road cycling.
Not just "an extremely unfortunate accident". Bernal is fully responsable. This has nothing to do with adversity. One must behave carefully on the public road. And here, it was not just trafic. The bus was simply standing still or parked, like other cars on the public road. But Bernal was racing a time trial bike on the public road, head down, without looking ahead. Irresponsible !

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
In the area where he was training was maybe one of the the worst parts of Colombia to be doing that. Autopista Norte or the Parallel road. If it is a rush hour then it is really bad. I am shocked that they were even training there. I would never put a wheel there with my bike. I understand that they had a car and moto accompanying them but still. It was a big risk.
Nothing to do with a rush hour. Look at the video of the accident ! Bernal has a view of hundreds of meters of the bus that is parked, but continues to drive towards the bus...and against it at tremendous speed, without slowing down. This had nothing to do with heavy traffic, or with a dangerous road ! But with irresponsible behaviour.
View: https://youtu.be/7tv62Qr0GJo

It seems crazy for the richest team in cycling to send their number one rider out doing a TT like that on a public road without any sort of protective measures (car in front, other riders etc.).

Considering this is professional cycling, the fault is with his team. It's not like Bernal is a cyclotouriste doing whatever just for fun, he's actually a real pro doing training for a professional team.

There should have at least been someone telling him what's in front & behind in an earpiece. That video just looks so crazy considering the context (Giro & Tour winner in his Ineos gear).

Nothing to do with a rush hour. Look at the video of the accident ! Bernal has a view of hundreds of meters of the bus that is parked, but continues to drive towards the bus...and against it at tremendous speed, without slowing down. This had nothing to do with heavy traffic, or with a dangerous road ! But with irresponsible behaviour.
View: https://youtu.be/7tv62Qr0GJo
I understand, and I knew that he was distracted because Botero and other cyclists who had inside information indicated the same thing that the video is showing. I still support what I am saying. And especially with a TT bike. Look at the car that almost came out and hit them. That is one of the worst highways to train. Training with a TT bike in itself is very dangerous, just to add more danger to the training.
Thanks for the video. Horrible what happened to him.

I understand, and I knew that he was distracted because Botero and other cyclists who had inside information indicated the same thing that the video is showing. I still support what I am saying. And especially with a TT bike. Look at the car that almost came out and hit them. That is one of the worst highways to train. Training with a TT bike in itself is very dangerous, just to add more danger to the training.
Thanks for the video. Horrible what happened to him.

What did Botero and others indicate? Bernal might've been looking backwards to that car, thereby missing the bus.

Still, it's a pretty big thing to miss and is on the side of the road etc, which buses tend to do, so at the very least we can establish that the bus is not at fault. Very unfortunate overall.

Yes, it should now. In a few weeks everyone has forgotten. And the pro cyclists (and others) will continue "to race" on public roads.

And that's the problem! So, maybe instead of just going "We gotta talk about it now, later people will forget about it", we - or the people with any incluence to do anything about it - should focus on making sure people don't forget until next time there's a severe accident.

Reactions: noob
What did Botero and others indicate? Bernal might've been looking backwards to that car, thereby missing the bus.

Still, it's a pretty big thing to miss and is on the side of the road etc, which buses tend to do, so at the very least we can establish that the bus is not at fault. Very unfortunate overall.
Botero and Company, and also Victor Hugo Peña agreed that he was distracted with his position. He forgot to look up. Peña said that cyclists are so absorbed in performance that they forget about safety. I think they came out to say this to defend the bus driver or to avoid further miss-judgement. After that people just didn't want to talk about it for respect for Bernal. Especially at that moment.

Peña said that the car behind was honking like crazy but as you saw in the video he was flying!

Reactions: Arnout

TRENDING THREADS