• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pentacycle said:
It's hard to tell what Mollema did at the collapsed arch in the replay, so after having seen that I thought Mollema was talking BS when he said he almost caught the two up front. The TdW photograph however gives us a better insight.

He was as far back as he was with 3k to go. Easy to see from the video i posted.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Who cares, Mollema still won the only MTF of this Tour. Solo. That's what counts :cool:

In two weeks time nobody will care about this race anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if someone who currently sits at roughly 40th in GC gets the best results in the Tour.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He also did a miracolous final 3km. From 1'19 down to Froome to 1'10 at the finish. Only guy who actually gained time on Froome somewhere on the climb lol

He rode very good. He'll no doubt be talked up as a podium contender, and finish 4th or lower in the end. (2011 Vuelta) No shame in that though. I kinda hoped Poels would too contribute to the revival of that great race, but his lack of shape is what you can expect when your expectations are up.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
And ride the last 3km 9 seconds faster than Froome.
He has this weird capability to ride his own pace and then suddenly accelerate greatly at the end.

I always knew Mollema was that good, but today he was excellent had it been 2kms more he might catch Porte as well and finish within a minute of Froome.

The question will be if he holds this for 3 weeks. I predicted a lower end top 10 finish between 7-10...

But now it looks like Rodriguez doesn't have it and Pinot is gone. Rolland doesn't look that great either (even though he attacked). BMC also gone.. So there is some competition gone. But I do think Contador will bounce back and if Quintana starts to race smart he'll do much better (even maybe battle Froome in some stages).
Valverde however might be beatable

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The question will be if he holds this for 3 weeks. I predicted a lower end top 10 finish between 7-10...

But now it looks like Rodriguez doesn't have it and Pinot is gone. Rolland doesn't look that great either (even though he attacked). BMC also gone.. So there is some competition gone. But I do think Contador will bounce back and if Quintana starts to race smart he'll do much better (even maybe battle Froome in some stages).
Valverde however might be beatable

My thoughts exactly, only I think that Porte is beatable too, but that Roman is a threat.

Bushman said:
Because I don't think he could have kept that speed for 2 kms more. If the last mountain had been 2 km longer he would also likely have accelerated later.
No one would have gone as fast, so it's a bit of a useless statement.

BTW he's been riding every stage on an aero road bike ever since the Tour de Suisse, which might explain why he did so well when the climb flattened out ;)

Dazed and Confused said:
Mollema just continues to impress.

Competitive in quite a few races all season. Chapeau.

It would appear Mollema goes well on mountain stages where the pace has be high all day. Perhaps something that Belkin can explore later.

Actually, in the Tirreno he got dropped pretty early on Tivo when Sky upped the pace. He said then he realised he has problems when the pace is near/over the limit all the time. Then made that a focus in training, long high speed intervals on mountains to get used to the crushing speed of the Sky train.

TRENDING THREADS