• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't really believe them. The DS tells Woods "start sprinting in the last corner, take the inside line". The next scene they are talking about "Woods didn't know it was the last lap". Doesn't make sense to me.

It could be the way the film was edited, or perhaps radio communication was not working at that point.

It was kind of funny to see JV explain what happened.

TGBM decided to play the long game in order to shock all.

Somebody else predicted that TGBM would suddenly stop getting a million placings and would start winning races for like a year in his early thirties, before signing a big contract and reverting to always coming seventh. The thing is that they predicted it would start with Lombardia! It might have been @Leinster ?

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I don't really believe them. The DS tells Woods "start sprinting in the last corner, take the inside line". The next scene they are talking about "Woods didn't know it was the last lap". Doesn't make sense to me.
Mollema denies it, too:

Surgery was succesful, Mollema is already on his way home.

Expected recovery time is 6 weeks, the team don't expect him to ride again this season

he was also less powerful when he was younger.

Dont forget Mollema started biking pretty late. When he became pro he only had like 3 years on a bike
Yeah, that could really be the reason why he has become a lot better at reading races over time. I hope he shows up at LBL in peak condition, him and the team could make the race really hard and interesting to watch.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's definitely not simply reading races and tactics. He races with more conviction, do or die. The young Mollema was more of a follower that was hard to get rid of in stage races. Now he's focusing more on classics it seems and one day races. He races more like Evenepoel than anyone else in the peloton that i can think of right now. If he didn't get a 30s gap by the time Bernal attacked, they would have caught him again, and people would be saying he went too soon considering there were still two climbs and Bernal and Landa were on his tail. Maybe they'd even say it was dumb or naïve. Being able to extend that gap, made all the difference though, and that was not due to tactics.

The era of TGBM has finally begun.

y83lsya.png

TRENDING THREADS