• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sad how many players of that generation just fell to injury and the one that didn't had the most disgusting matchup with Federer. Hewitt was the first player I became a fan of.
Yeah I hate the weak era discussion surrounding Federer. Hewitt , Safin, Roddick, Ferrer etc would in my opinion slaughter Thiem , Merdevev, Zverev. Obviously as an Aussie our media is intense and overbearing so we copped an onslaught about Hewitt but I still think his peak stands up to the test of time as a very good player

Yeah I hate the weak era discussion surrounding Federer. Hewitt , Safin, Roddick, Ferrer etc would in my opinion slaughter Thiem , Merdevev, Zverev. Obviously as an Aussie our media is intense and overbearing so we copped an onslaught about Hewitt but I still think his peak stands up to the test of time as a very good player
A fellow man of culture I see. They would slaughter those guys though I can see Thiem grab RG before Nadal. The only thing I ever get from Ozzy commentary is

tHatS jUsT tOo gOoD fRoM dE mInAuR

A fellow man of culture I see. They would slaughter those guys though I can see Thiem grab RG before Nadal. The only thing I ever get from Ozzy commentary is

tHatS jUsT tOo gOoD fRoM dE mInAuR
I’m an active dissuader of the colombian talk that goes on here but Australian media will
Talk up a world number 30 in long jump
Likes HES winning gold at Tokyo we are terrible haha. I was young and will
Admit bias to Evans because of this. Though not sure where you are from but Hewitt did not have a great look here. He was treated like *** compared to aussie tennis greats of the past

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
I just heard his interview with RAI and I gotta say I kinda pity him.
First time in the maglia rosa, has to immediately become a spokesperson for the peloton, while having the most bland personality I can remember.

Best moment was when Vegni talked for 10 minutes about how disrespectful the riders decision was towards sponsors, organization, history of the Giro and most of all fans who were waiting for the race in some village on today's route.
Wilco was asked to comment on that and said something like: "I understand Mauro's frustration but this was a very good decision for us. Today we gave the people a great show anyway..."
To which Vegni replied: "Yeah great show, they came in 15 minutes after the break".

I just heard his interview with RAI and I gotta say I kinda pity him.
First time in the maglia rosa, has to immediately become a spokesperson for the peloton, while having the most bland personality I can remember.

Best moment was when Vegni talked for 10 minutes about how disrespectful the riders decision was towards sponsors, organization, history of the Giro and most of all fans who were waiting for the race in some village on today's route.
Wilco was asked to comment on that and said something like: "I understand Mauro's frustration but this was a very good decision for us. Today we gave the people a great show anyway..."
To which Vegni replied: "Yeah great show, they came in 15 minutes after the break".
At least with that burn he can't possibly get cold anymore

Since the 1990s, there has only been one real world class Dutch rider destined to win several GT's. His name is Tom Dumoulin.
One tier below that are riders like Kelderman and Kruijswijk, who are capable enough to win a single GT if the stars align for them. Kruijswijk had his moment in 2016 and failed. This is Kelderman's moment.
I disagree, the rider most destined too win GT's was clearly Gesink. He was looked at as a huge talent. Dumoulin was destined when he won the Giro perhaps but he was not looked at as a huge talent for GT's like Gesink.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I guess you must not really like the average GT winner of the past 10 years then.
I would personally say Kelderman would be the weakest GT winner since Cobo(and even then Cobo did performances uphill Kelderman could only dream of). Yes i know he belongs in other forum but still. Kelderman palmares trumps Cobo's by miles though. Ryder Hesjedal you could perhaps say was fairly weak but even he was up against a ok field and had top 10'd a TDF before. Kelderman did get a 5th or 4th i think in the Vuelta Froome won which was a strong field but them guys did the TDF aswell. So all in all yes i feel he is an extremely weak GT winner. Reminds me of some of them no name Vuelta winners early 2000's

For me the key difference would be Cobo won it on the toughest climb, Hesjedal still beat all the main favorites head on, while Kelderman has seen Yates and Thomas crash and COVID out, is getting dropped by 2 rando's and needed one of 2 Tappones to get nerfed into oblivion to still have a shot
Damn dude. What was her name? The girlfriend he stole.

There's a strong argument to be made that Hindley should have waited on the Stelvio and sacrificed himself in the valley. Kelderman would have been 40-60 seconds ahead of Hart in the GC, with a much better chance to win the Giro. Now Sunweb risks finishing second and third.

For me the key difference would be Cobo won it on the toughest climb, Hesjedal still beat all the main favorites head on, while Kelderman has seen Yates and Thomas crash and COVID out, is getting dropped by 2 rando's and needed one of 2 Tappones to get nerfed into oblivion to still have a shot
He also probably wouldn't have been in pink without having one of the 2 strongest climbers as his teammate.

Reactions: Red Rick
There's a strong argument to be made that Hindley should have waited on the Stelvio and sacrificed himself in the valley. Kelderman would have been 40-60 seconds ahead of Hart in the GC, with a much better chance to win the Giro. Now Sunweb risks finishing second and third.
Kelderman got dropped badly by Fuglsang and Bilbao, so Hindley wouldn't have been much help. Also TGH would have done the final climb without arguing with Hindley and done it much faster.

The Giro would've been over in a matter of minutes if Hindley had waited on the Stelvio.