• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
van Gaal deserves all the flack he's getting.
Main mistakes he's made, imo:
1. Taking trust away from Memphis
2. Continuing to play Rooney for way too long
3. Substituting and even benching Mata in important games / moments of the game
4. Not buying a younger, quicker, and more creative central midfield player
5. Moving Martial to the wing when he was having a run as a central striker
6. Stubbornly sticking to a conservative game plan

We knew this in the Netherlands. He has a history of ruining creative players by forcing them to play strictly according to his 'philosophy'.
It's not a coincidence he failed at Barcelona. The liga he won there was without attractive football.
Same in Germany, yes he won the league, but without attractive football and in a year when the competition was extremely weak. In addition, he was extremely lucky to reach the final of the CL with Bayern. Again without good football.

Van Gaal will be successful when you give him a group of very young, very hungry players, who will do exactly as he tells them.

Re: booby prize

ebandit said:
Archibald said:
ebandit said:
reckon there should be no second chances for the failed CL teams - such a crock

haha! that's no 2nd chance......the europa league is a joke big clubs really don't

wish to participate.............which why i'm happier seeing man u waste effort/

resources for............nowt!

Mark L
silverware is silverware
LVG brings in a european trophy, then the manc's will be happy

European Championship 2016 draw today:

Group A
France
Romania
Albania
Switzerland

Group B
England
Russia
Wales
Slovakia

Group C
Germany
Ukraine
Poland
Northern Ireland

Group D
Spain
Turkey
Czech Republic
Croatia

Group E
Belgium
Italy
Sweden
Republic of Ireland

Group F
Portugal
Iceland
Austria
Hungary

France will walk Group A, only the Swiss can challenge them and they lost twice to England in the qualifications w/o scoring against them.

England should win Group B, but you never know with England. The fight for second and third should be interesting; it's effectively Bale vs Hamšik for Wales vs Slovakia

Germany have Group C, but Poland aren't too shabby and neither are Ukraine. I reckon Northern Ireland will have a very tough time of it: Poland vs Ukraine is the key match.

Spain have an interesting group. Croatia are a good side and the Czechs will look to challenge them also. Cannot see Turkey doing too well in Group D.

Group E is probably the most interesting group, Belgium are overrated (they have a couple of good players, no way are they the best team in the world) and Italy are slowly finding themselves and are still a good side, the best in Pot 2, so that should be a tasty match. Sweden and Eire are also good teams that can cause an upset, although Sweden seem a bit Ibra-reliant and Ireland lack star talent. I was hoping for Italy to be in the same group as Germany though, to see if Italy are still their bogey team. :p

Another interesting group, mainly because there is no stand out side. Austria are quite a few people's dark horses and probably the in-form European team. The second best team in Pot 2 alongside Croatia, they should challenge Portugal, the worst Pot 1 team. Hungary and Iceland(!) are also good teams, and can beat Portugal, who not so long ago lost to Cape Verde. Portugal need, in CR7's own words, a couple more of him.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
European Championship 2016 draw today:

Group A
France 3
Romania 4
Albania 2
Switzerland 1

Group B
England 3
Russia 1
Wales 2
Slovakia 4

Group C
Germany 1
Ukraine 2
Poland 4
Northern Ireland 3

Group D
Spain 2
Turkey 1
Czech Republic 4
Croatia 3

Group E
Belgium 1
Italy 2
Sweden 3
Republic of Ireland 4

Group F
Portugal 1
Iceland 2
Austria 3
Hungary 4

France will walk Group A, only the Swiss can challenge them and they lost twice to England in the qualifications w/o scoring against them.

England should win Group B, but you never know with England. The fight for second and third should be interesting; it's effectively Bale vs Hamšik for Wales vs Slovakia

Germany have Group C, but Poland aren't too shabby and neither are Ukraine. I reckon Northern Ireland will have a very tough time of it: Poland vs Ukraine is the key match.

Spain have an interesting group. Croatia are a good side and the Czechs will look to challenge them also. Cannot see Turkey doing too well in Group D.

Group E is probably the most interesting group, Belgium are overrated (they have a couple of good players, no way are they the best team in the world) and Italy are slowly finding themselves and are still a good side, the best in Pot 2, so that should be a tasty match. Sweden and Eire are also good teams that can cause an upset, although Sweden seem a bit Ibra-reliant and Ireland lack star talent. I was hoping for Italy to be in the same group as Germany though, to see if Italy are still their bogey team. :p

Another interesting group, mainly because there is no stand out side. Austria are quite a few people's dark horses and probably the in-form European team. The second best team in Pot 2 alongside Croatia, they should challenge Portugal, the worst Pot 1 team. Hungary and Iceland(!) are also good teams, and can beat Portugal, who not so long ago lost to Cape Verde. Portugal need, in CR7's own words, a couple more of him.

I put numbers above on my guesses for final group standings.

On paper Portugal seems to be getting an easy group, but you never know how things pan out.
For me the lottery group is D, but we shall see.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought that was it after Mitrovic missed that chance.

Newcastle played well second half.

I don't think anyone saw that coming at half-time.

Great week for Arsenal.

gooner said:
I thought that was it after Mitrovic missed that chance.

Newcastle played well second half.

I don't think anyone saw that coming at half-time.

Great week for Arsenal.
you must be hating the way they're playing, right ;)

pity about the toon win - would have loved to see Utd get shoved out of the top 4. To have 2 of the 'big 4' out of the top four would be brilliant
would expect chelski to bump of leicester tonight, but who knows at the moment
certainly an interesting league these days - watford n palace both above pool n the toffees, and both 1pt from 5th... who'd a thunk that either??

Re:

ebandit said:
........strange days indeed......leicester top of the pile....the toon above chelsea

.......and jose with a different excuse........betrayed by his players for not following

instruction.............gotta! laugh at that.............harmony/team spirit destroyed

by the gaffa...............

Mark L
yeah, that was genius... "I like the way they train, but can't work out what they're doing during matches"...

Reminds me of Mr Teflon... "I'm a genius for keeping pompey up, and did wonders with bringing QPR up", then "the players are sh*t" when both were relegated or in the bottom 3 (coz he'd jumped ship prior to the R's dropping)

As for leicester - loving the payback Ranieri is reaping at the moment on the 'special one'. Just wish I could see his post match interviews - used to love those when he was at the stamford bridge. Most entertaining manager by far as he wrestled with english

It's a welcome change to see a team like Leicester top the league at this stage of the season, however it does back up the point I've been saying for at least 3 years now. There is no doubt the Premier league is a much poorer standard than it used to be compared to the other top leagues in Europe.

You cant fault the entertainment with a lot of very good matches, but this does come at a cost eventually. The TV companies are happy as they've got a goldmine to sell but the league has sold it's soul a long time ago.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Nice to see Chicharito blooming at Leverkusen.
Doesn't reflect well on Van Gaal's decision to let him go and waste his obvious goalscoring talents.
@pricey sky: Another interpretation of Chicharito's success in LEverkusen is that the Bundesliga is (defensively) weaker than the Premier League.
It's not what I would personally claim, though. Right now I think Van Gaal just wasted him.
I think the Champions League is a decent reflection of the comparative stregnth of the different leagues.

Re:

sniper said:
Nice to see Chicharito blooming at Leverkusen.
Doesn't reflect well on Van Gaal's decision to let him go and waste his obvious goalscoring talents.
@pricey sky: Another interpretation of Chicharito's success in LEverkusen is that the Bundesliga is (defensively) weaker than the Premier League.
It's not what I would personally claim, though. Right now I think Van Gaal just wasted him.
I think the Champions League is a decent reflection of the comparative stregnth of the different leagues.

I think there are some poorer teams towards the bottom of the the Bundesliga, however I've always been a fan of Chicarito and it's surely no coincidence he's now started regularly and he's scoring goals. A striker who is a 'confidence player' can suddenly bloom given some love and appreciation.

I agree regarding the champions league being a yardstick, Whilst Man City should make the QF's I think Chelsea and Arsenal are big underdogs against PSG and Barca. If City draw a top team in the last 8 they will be out too.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
gooner said:
Pep to confirm next week he's leaving Bayern at the end of the season.

Juande Ramos linked with Chelsea. Lol.

Ancelotti to Bayern then? Or will he do the only thing he hasn't done and coach a national team (Italy dopo Conte)
Can't see Carlo going back to chelski at all, which makes Bayern the most logical choice - unless Utd don't get Pep and still want to off LVG. But I'm not sure Ancelotti would want to go back to the premier league...

Ramos to chelski is gold! The only thing funnier would be Redknapp turning up there

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
CWb3n8aWEAEyjDW.jpg

:D :p :D

TRENDING THREADS