The Real Football Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
4,924
0
0
The Hitch said:
Yeah, what a joke for the team facing Ajax to suggest "they no longer felt safe". Its not like their goalkeeper had just been attacked from behind or anything:rolleyes:
Look at the pictures, smartarse. Yes, it was a joke, a sham perpetrated by their manager, and one that he's apparently got away with.They spent a full minute feeling perfectly safe on the pitch until the ref showed the red card. It was only then that their manager repeatedly called them off the pitch, since none of the AZ players looked remotely likie they were worried about their own safety and none were in any hurry to leave the pitch.

One individual idiot attacked the goalie. There was no pitch invasion. There was no rioting or any other form of aggravation going on in the stadium. How often have single individuals run onto pitches without one of the teams leaving the pitch before the ref has made any ruling about the game continuing? This ref saw no reason to suspend the game! He only did so after one of the teams refused to continue because their manager was p!ssed off about the red card.

You might want to check the facts in future before having a pop at me.
 
Amsterhammer said:
You might want to check the facts in future before having a pop at me.
Yep, lets have a look at the "facts".

They spent a full minute feeling perfectly safe on the pitch until the ref showed the red card. .
Definitely not a "fact". Assumption at best. Only they know what they were feeling inside.

AZ players looked remotely likie they were worried about their own safety and none were in any hurry to leave the pitch.
Again, definately not a fact. There is no set look people have for when they are worried and no scientists who can be certain what the players felt inside.
Moreover they may have felt they would be putting themselves and others in even more danger by leaving the pitch, or the option did not come into their heads.

Also people often take a while to realize what they are feeling or make a logical decision. They were right to wait for their manager, but that does not mean they felt "safe".

Another assumption.

One individual idiot attacked the goalie. There was no pitch invasion. There was no rioting or any other form of aggravation going on in the stadium.
And no one ever suggested there was. The manager took his players off because 1 had been attacked not because he thought there were riots.

But on a good note, yes those are facts. But don't really contribute to your argument. The fact that there was no rioting does not mean the players felt safe.

How often have single individuals run onto pitches without one of the teams leaving the pitch before the ref has made any ruling about the game continuing?
How many times have the single individuals attacked a specific player?

This ref saw no reason to suspend the game! He only did so after one of the teams refused to continue because their manager was p!ssed off about the red card
Refs make mistakes.
 
I thought a complete do-over of the game was usually what happened in situations where a match is abandoned for whatever reason? Teams have been leading 3-0 when floodlight failure or a waterlogged pitch end the game, and have been forced to restart at 0-0. It happens. That's why you get something like Cóndor Rojas cutting himself and pretending to be hit by a flare, because with Chile losing the game and about to fail to qualify for the World Cup, they were hoping to get a do-over.

Euskal Selekzioa playing Tunisia at the moment. Should be fun.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
I thought a complete do-over of the game was usually what happened in situations where a match is abandoned for whatever reason? Teams have been leading 3-0 when floodlight failure or a waterlogged pitch end the game, and have been forced to restart at 0-0. It happens. That's why you get something like Cóndor Rojas cutting himself and pretending to be hit by a flare, because with Chile losing the game and about to fail to qualify for the World Cup, they were hoping to get a do-over.

Euskal Selekzioa playing Tunisia at the moment. Should be fun.
I remember Real Madrid were winning some match 1-0 back in 04 or 05 or some such, and in the 83rd minute, or some such, the floodlights went. They then replayed the last 7 minutes of the game at a later date with the 1-0 scorline.

This is a bit of a different situation since a fan had attacked a player.
 
The Hitch said:
I remember Real Madrid were winning some match 1-0 back in 04 or 05 or some such, and in the 83rd minute, or some such, the floodlights went. They then replayed the last 7 minutes of the game at a later date with the 1-0 scorline.

This is a bit of a different situation since a fan had attacked a player.
Now you mention it, there might be some limit on whether they replay or not based on the time played in the game, I do recall hearing something to that effect but have no idea of any details or whether it was somebody mentioning something within the rules of the game or just what they thought should happen.
 
ferryman said:
We really need goal line technology:(
Personaliy I would rather the video evidence was used for everything rather than just goal line technology.

Wrong red cards can often be more damaging than a disallowed goal, and disallowed goals come a lot more often because of an wrong offside decision or an alleged foul than from the very very rare case of the ref not seeing the ball cross the line.

Besides I'd like if if video technology was used against cheats, especially divers.

No one tries to cheat by making the ball seem it didnt cross the line (well other than Roy Carrol), its just a mistake the ref makes, like a lot of other things on the pitch.
 
Euskal Selekzioa about to pick up their first defeat in five years and their worst defeat since the 5-1 drubbing by Hungary in 1980. No Muniáin, no Llorente, Aduriz taken off after an hour and they look pretty toothless. Have had most of the play, far more shots and chances than Tunisia, but Tunisia have taken their opportunities while the Basques have not.
 
Dec 30, 2009
3,187
0
0
The Hitch said:
Personaliy I would rather the video evidence was used for everything rather than just goal line technology.

Wrong red cards can often be more damaging than a disallowed goal, and disallowed goals come a lot more often because of an wrong offside decision or an alleged foul than from the very very rare case of the ref not seeing the ball cross the line.

Besides I'd like if if video technology was used against cheats, especially divers.

No one tries to cheat by making the ball seem it didnt cross the line (well other than Roy Carrol), its just a mistake the ref makes, like a lot of other things on the pitch.
Up here red cards can be appealled and divers and other cheats (eg sneaky elbows/punches) can also be brought to task after a post game review.

Surely though it is time for real time technology for goal line incidents and penalty decisions and possibly some offsides. At least worth a trial to see how disruptive or not it is.
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,793
0
0
Does anyone watch roma? if so how is erik lamela doing there, I always remember him from the news reports that barca or real(I forget which) wanted to sign him when he was 12 or some stupid age, interesting to see roma pay a fair bit of money for him..
 
MOTD "experts" talking about how Sunderland scoring 3 late goals under oniel tells us that he is a manager that tells players not to give up.:cool:

1 was a own goal 1 was offside and 1 was a free kick. as if other managers want their players to let go of the pedal after 80 minutes.

Its like blaming CVV's 2 crashes in the Giro on the fact that he was born in May.:cool:

I guess they need something to talk about to make the program an hour long.
 
gooner said:
One of these so called "experts" alan hansen is on 40 grand a week. His punditry is boring and repetitive. All himself and linekar do is crack scripted jokes.

You should the punditry we have over here on irish tv for the premiership. I remember steve bunce saying he seen it on you tube and the pundits wouldnt last 5 mins on a channel on britain. Have a look at this and see what yee are missing out on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fvsg_Ct1cw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgxJXRly5g
Well Souness is seen as like the main expert on Sky's football coverage. But his predeccesor in that position - Andy Grey, was too stupid to remember not to be a sexist pig on tv and got thrown out.

During the WC the bbc had Adebayor as an "expert" (has your name something with his former club btw?) and not only was he difficult to understand, he could not name a single player in some of the games he was "assessing" and would then laugh about it, yes laugh about the fact that he could not name any players, live on tv.

And this was tax payers money that was funding this. They evenpaid thousands to install a lift so that the poor pundits wouldnt have to walk up like 30 stairs to reach the studio.


Adebayors performance was deemed impressive enough to make him a "expert " for the final.
 
palmerq said:
Does anyone watch roma? if so how is erik lamela doing there, I always remember him from the news reports that barca or real(I forget which) wanted to sign him when he was 12 or some stupid age, interesting to see roma pay a fair bit of money for him..
Have seen him playing a couple of matches. Lot of potention but has still a lot to learn. Great left foot.
 
gooner said:
Poor performance from arsenal today especially 2nd half. This will be 7 years without a trophy. I dont think wenger would get away with that at any other big club in europe. Even mancini said it wouldnt happen in italy and mourinho has said it repeatedly about wenger many times. All wenger does is talk constantly about the economics of football. He tries to run the club and has been given too much power by weak board. I remember the former real madrid president ramon calderon saying they were thinking of appointing him but had to back off because his policy wouldnt be acceptable to the madrid fans.

Walcott and gervinho were terrible once again today. Van persie"s class has been covering up the cracks and flaws in this team. If the signing of gervinho is anything to go by his once famous judgement in the transfer market could be on the wane also.
There is no coming back for Arsenal. If Usmanov took control of the club instead of Kroenke, and Wenger was sacked, they might have stood a chance. With financial fair play coming from next year it's now too late.
Wenger and his boys will continue falling short, and if they are lucky, get a top 4 spot, and entertain us for a couple of rounds in the CL. If Van persie get's injured it's bye bye for that too.
 
May 6, 2009
8,314
0
0
A big result there, Newcastle 3 - 0 Man U, for Newcastle to get some points before Demba Ba goes away for the ACN and for Manchester City who still retain a 3 point gap over United.
 
I wonder whether Liverpool can bounce back after losing to City. Bad loss for Man U. Newcastle are starting to look very good as a team. I do not want them to sell Ba ( because they get rid of all their players and they could become in 2 or so years title contenders ).
Did anyone see Tim Howards' goal against Bolton???
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY