• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
Lyon v APOEL
Napoli v Chelsea
AC Milan v Arsenal
Basel v Bayern Munich
Bayer Leverkusen v Barcelona
CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid
Zenit St Petersburg v Benfica
Marseille v Internazionale Milano

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Europa League:

Porto v Manchester City
Ajax v Manchester United
Lokomotiv Moscow v Athletic Bilbao
SV Salzburg v FC Metalist Kharkiv
Stoke City v Valencia CF
Rubin Kazan v Olympiacos
AZ Alkmaar v RSC Anderlecht
SS Lazio v Club de Atlético Madrid
Steaua Bucharest v FC Twente
Viktoria Plzeň v FC Schalke 04
Wisła Krakow v Standard Liège
Sporting Braga v Beşiktaş
Udinese v PAOK FC
Trabzonspor v PSV Eindhoven
Hannover 96 v Club Brugge
Legia v Sporting Clube Portugal

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Europa League Round 16:

SV Salzburg or FC Metalist Kharkiv v Rubin Kazan or Olympiacos
Legia or Sporting Clube Portugal v Porto or Manchester City
Steaua Bucharest or Twente Enschede v Viktoria Plzeň or FC Schalke 04
Wisła Krakow or Standard Liège v Hannover 96 or Club Brugge
Stoke City or Valencia CF v Trabzonspor or PSV Eindhoven
AZ Alkmaar or Anderlecht v Udinese v PAOK FC
SS Lazio or Club de Atlético Madrid v Sporting Braga or Beşiktaş
Ajax or Manchester United v Lokomotiv Moscow or Athletic Bilbao

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Lyon v APOEL
Napoli v Chelsea
AC Milan v Arsenal
Basel v Bayern Munich
Bayer Leverkusen v Barcelona
CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid
Zenit St Petersburg v Benfica
Marseille v Internazionale Milano

That will result in nice quarter-finals.
Looking forward to it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Incredible! Barca are doing to the champion of South America what they do to everyone else when they're on form like today - run rings around them. HT score, 3-0 to Barca, game over, Neimar can't even get a sniff of the ball.

What an honor to watch the best team of this generation!:cool:

It's a farce of a tournament really, and the Brazilian season has just come to an end, so you'd expect them to be more tired than European teams anyway, even notwithstanding the fact that the level of football is higher in Europe and Barcelona are on the highest level of those.

It's nice to be able to switch a match off after 20 minutes knowing the result though. It means I don't have to look at Messi, or Hernández, or Guardiola any longer.

Edit: 4-0, with 71% possession. Sounds about as exciting as a Grand Prix in the Schumacher era.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Edit: 4-0, with 71% possession. Sounds about as exciting as a Grand Prix in the Schumacher era.

Oh god, I think it was 2001 or 2002 when Schumacher was champion by the GP of France, when he won cause Raikkonen spinned with only a few laps to go over the oil.

My goodness that was so boring..

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It's nice to be able to switch a match off after 20 minutes knowing the result though. It means I don't have to look at Messi, or Hernández, or Guardiola any longer.

Why don't you just skip the match then. It's not like the two teams were randomly chosen to play each other a couple of minutes before kickoff...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thomsena said:
Why don't you just skip the match then. It's not like the two teams were randomly chosen to play each other a couple of minutes before kickoff...

He's obviously not happy unless he can moan about Barca or certain of their players - it seems to be his mission. Sad that Santos could provide no opposition, even sadder that Neymar doesn't get a red card for that absurd hair on his head.:eek:

I do, however, agree with LS that this competition is a joke. At least from 2013 we'll have the games at sensible times as the tournament will be played in Marocco.:rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I thought santos might have put up a bit of a fight.. i was wrong, shame, the south americans usually take this a bit more seriously than the europeans, santos have some good players, it's a very impressive win for barca, I like this competition, hopefully it becomes more prestigious or errr they just give you more money for winning it(that'll work)..

maybe barca will make a move for neymar in january seeing as villa broke his leg, if they can afford it....

Thomsena said:

TBH they should just make it the old fashioned way and just have the Champions' League winners play the Copa del Libertadores winners, since they both got free passes to the semis anyway.

Barcelona are good to watch when they're losing - the game against Getafe, with their desperate pushes to score, or the nervewracking finale against Athletic, were very good football to watch. When it's too easy for them, it's just no fun. Yes, the football is pretty, but it ceases to be pretty when the domination is so easy (71% possession!) because they don't need to try. Just like Michael Schumacher's laptimes ceased to be impressive when he had a 30 second lead at the head of the race, because you're not watching a competition anymore.

I had hopes for Santos putting up a fight, but the combination of the end of the season for them and Barcelona's sheer quality turned it into the usual exhibition, so I turned it off.

The only good club world championship was the one in 2000 where Man u skipped the FA Cup, it was group stages, 2 clubs from every continent.

It was quality. Both European clubs - Man U treble winners, and Real Galacticos, got absolutely owned by the South Americans, and they were both trying.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The only good club world championship was the one in 2000 where Man u skipped the FA Cup, it was group stages, 2 clubs from every continent.

It was quality. Both European clubs - Man U treble winners, and Real Galacticos, got absolutely owned by the South Americans, and they were both trying.
That was cool, the south americans and club necaxa(I like their name :S) did great, edmundo was on good form too, I think the heat killed man united .. i think that tournament is a bit big though to fit into the calendar.. but it was the best one.. I think they way it is just now is the best way unless fifa make the world football calendar mandatory which they might be trying to do with the world cup in qatar :S, could be interesting if those rumours happen..

Long live the club world cup :cool: