• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Question here for everyone but mostly for the brits:

How do you guys feel about the lack of young English players on English teams?

Doesn't it bother you the lack of investment put into your young players and how that affects the national team?

The Sun tomorrow claim Januzaj wants to play for England.

The FA commission set up by the FA chairman Greg **** recently is done to tackle this and dearth of top class English talent. Hodgson, Rio Ferdinand, Danny Mills, and Glenn Hoddle are some of the people working on that. Interestingly Brailsford was supposedly offered a role with it and didn't deny this was the case when he got asked about it.

Academies in the top clubs now are just stacked up with foreign players due to rule of having at least 8 homegrown players(3 years at a club between 16 and 21) in a 25 man squad. It just means clubs can go out and raid academies abroad and still adhere to the above rule in the process.

The best young player we have coming through in Ireland is Jack Grealish who's on loan at Notts County from Aston Villa. An excellent young player at 18 and who England are fighting tooth and nail at the moment at trying to declare for them. He was born in Birmingham but has refused on a number of occasions call-ups to the England youth set-up. He qualifies through having grandparents in Ireland but it says it all about the dearth of English talent that they are battling everywhere for talent at the moment even in the case of Januzaj who has no blood connection to England.

I ask this because in Portugal the hot topic right now is the investment, or the lack of it to be more accurate, in young portuguese players. Particularly with Benfica who has a huge amount of talent on their younger squads and pretty much refuses to give them a chance to shine on the first squad over average serbians and south americans.

Roony Lopes was in Benfica and wasn't even on the top 5 more talented players on the team in his age category, but he now plays for Man City while the biggest talent Portugal produced since Cristiano Ronaldo is yet to be given a single minute on the first team this season. I am talking about Bernardo Silva:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3qEEdjRhk

I don't think i have ever seen such intensity, maturity and class on an 19 year old portuguese player, even on Cristiano Ronaldo. Hardly ever loses a ball, never misses a pass, pressures so much and carries the game so fast from the back that sometimes it looks like he is playing number 10 and box to box at the same time just brilliant.

Anyway i am ranting a bit. . . . what do you guys think about that?

Lopes was excellent for City recently against West Ham away in the second leg of the League Cup. He would have no problem in qualifying for the homegrown rule if he stays at City beyond 21. Still not a fan of Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool like vultures raiding academies across Europe while these clubs have raised and developed the players and get little in the way of a fee as a result.

Don't know Bernardo Silva but will keep a an eye for his progress now. No rights of Portuguese football are on in UK/Ireland at the moment so it's hard to keep track. I did watch some of Portugal U-20s last summer and Bruma was the stand out player from what I've seen. He got a big money move to Galatasaray on the back of it but I don't really know how he has got on since.

Swifty's Cakes said:
I have no interest in the national team. Libpool would be top of the league if Sturridge hadn't missed 10 games because of an England injury.

Majority of fans in England of the big clubs have that mentality to the national team.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Watched Stoke v United where Stoke were deserved winners. Conditions were terrible. Adam was the best player on the pitch(what a strike for the winning goal) but United didn't do enough going forward.

Wasn't happy with the Kallstrom signing yesterday and I know him well for years right from his Rennes days. He was decent at them and later at Lyon but I wouldn't say he has pulled up any great trees in his career. Underwhelming.

Just a major facepalm with what I just heard in the last half hour about signing him. Check it up. Baffling why Arsenal still signed him.

gooner said:
Watched Stoke v United where Stoke were deserved winners. Conditions were terrible. Adam was the best player on the pitch(what a strike for the winning goal) but United didn't do enough go forward.

Wasn't happy with the Kallstrom signing yesterday and I know him well for years right from his Rennes days. He was decent at them and later at Lyon but I wouldn't say he has pulled up any great trees in his career. Underwhelming.

Just a major facepalm with what I just heard in the last half hour about signing him. Check it up. Baffling why Arsenal still signed him.

Its pretty remarkable how little energy and willpower United delivers until 15-20 minutes from the end. A "cultural" problem inherited from more dominant years perhaps. Anyway I'm happy for stoke. Very important win.

The relegation battle is shaping up to be one of the best in years. Personally shifting focus already.

gooner said:
Watched Stoke v United where Stoke were deserved winners. Conditions were terrible. Adam was the best player on the pitch(what a strike for the winning goal) but United didn't do enough going forward.

you'll be pleased to know he wont be troubling the kit man for the next 2 months then. Crocked in a training ground accident.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Great match, Chelsea totally deserved it.

Hazard is genius, skillfull and very intelligent.

Top saves by Petr Čech.

Matić played amazingly, again. Hope he continues to improve if there is anything to improve.

Fernandinho, Nasri and Aguero are huge loses. Even Javi Garcia could have done a job in midfield in place of Fernandinho if he was available. Pellegrini is a great manager but he has a blind spot in the team with Demichelis. Toure was practically up against Matic, Luiz and Ramires on his own in midfield. Now we can see why they wanted to sign Fernando and Mangala with Porto in the last week of the window.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Guess I was wrong about Liverpool and Rodgers.
Complete annihilation of the Gunners.

Most of the "big" games today were dull however, except maybe the Walsh derby. Some intensity there. And why does Bellamy looks so good against other players still?

Looks like it paid of to get rid of Laudrup.

The Swansea/Cardiff game was decent in the second half. Hernandez made a big difference coming on. Chelsea v Newcastle was dull other than Hazard's two great goals.

I think we're in the territory where Arsenal will be found out and Wenger's dithering in the transfer market will come home to roost once more. Take the last 3 windows, one top class signing in Ozil, an average full-back in Monreal for 8.5m when he's not even better than Gibbs, Flamini who wasn't even a regular at Milan on a free and a washed up Kallstrom past his best on loan. He doesn't go the extra mile in the transfer market when needed, especially for positions that the dogs in the street know need addressing. No doubt he has the money, they just announced a new huge deal with Puma and there is extra money from the new Sky/BT deal this year that came in. They were in for Draxler last month which shows they have the cash, but Wenger sees him as another experiment where he thinks he can convert him into another striker in the mould of Henry and RVP. A more recognised one is needed like Diego Costa.

Giroud isn't good enough and he wouldn't have made the bench in the days of Wenger's great teams of the past. Wenger is getting a new three year deal by the sound of things and for me, he doesn't deserve it. It should be no more than a one year extension at best and put the pressure on him to earn future contracts.

I have been saying it for years now, Arsenal will not win another league under Wenger again and I see no reason to change my mind so far. Mark my word to that.

Lets see of they prove me wrong, but if not, I do think it's time for a change. This can't continue and the club isn't a playground for Wenger to try his policies on while fans pay the highest season tickets in the game. Next season there is even a 3% hike in that. All this while there is bucket loads of cash in reserve. No other manager would get away with that at another big club. He would be pushing to spend it as his job is on the line in a pressure cooker situation. That's not the case at Arsenal with Wenger where there is too much of a comfort zone around him.

Wenger is still a good manager but I don't think he has the same winning mentality that he had in his first decade at the club which meant he was a great one. He was a lot more pragmatic and there was no business approach to the transfer market in the spell back then. All the money he had or recouped from sales he tried to put back in the team. There was no comments like "4th was a trophy." I don't put Wenger in the same bracket nowadays as guys like Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola, Conte, Klopp, and Simeone.

Dazed and Confused said:
Napoli 2 - 1 AC Milan, ongoing

Wonderful play by Napoli with Higuain doing the final touch with the head.
Still 30 minutes to go.

Milan are a pity. Jorginho played well and Higuain was the signing Arsenal should have done instead of abandoning it to put all their eggs on trying to get Suarez. That's all I was thinking watching the game. You can't just say it's a Suarez or a no one.

Massive mistake on Wenger's part.

Swifty's Cakes said:
I quite enjoyed yesterday, Arsenel were garbage but sadly I think there will be a backlash next Sunday in the cup, we should have just coasted to a 2-0 win and not humiliated them.

Naah i enjoyed it thoroughly i danced like hell in front of arsenal supporters :D . magpies going down eh ebandit and del hihihi

Zam_Olyas said:
Naah i enjoyed it thoroughly i danced like hell in front of arsenal supporters :D . magpies going down eh ebandit and del hihihi

Down, nah, more like mediocrity, which we are doomed to under the current custodian, no relegation battle to fight, no cup run, just caught in no mans land, between nothing and the poison chalice of a europacup place

I will have to content myself in that I have seen much worse, like losing to Southend 4-0 and staring down the barrel of third tier football (before the messiah returned), something that those from the as e-bandit puts it, the dark place, have actually experienced.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Well done Wenger. Arsene knows.

Not having a top class striker costed us again tonight. Giroud has to be scoring that chance from Sagna's cross. Even outside of that, his link up play is mixed to say the least and the creative midfield players around him seem frustrated with him at times. You could see fans were getting on his back tonight and it was similar against Chelsea earlier in the season. Not good enough at this level. Wenger talks about "special, special quality" but he paid 12m pounds for Giroud but wouldn't pay just over 25m for Higuain before Napoli came in with a higher bid at a later stage. His dithering in the transfer market is hindering all this and it's a reoccurring them over the years(Mata in 2011, Schwarzer back in 2010 when Almunia was in goal, Jagielka in 2010 and 2011). I can't understand his methods. I think fans are growing a bit tired of it judging by the booing tonight at the end of the game. A rake of money in reserve and an injured midfield player on loan is what he brings in when a striker was needed. Even when he's fit, Ramsey will be back and Flamini's 4 game ban will be finished. Take Mourinho for example, he can't put things off to the next window and talk about only signing "special, special quality" as this dithering that is so systematic of Wenger's approach could cost him his job. Matic who has been excellent so far and Salah came in January. Wenger has the comfort zone cushion to get away with this and he just doesn't give himself the best chance possible to win things by not addressing the glaring weaknesses that the team has. That's where the justified criticism is coming from now.

Giroud, Bendtner, and Sanogo are Arsenal's main strikers through the middle. That simply shouldn't be acceptable.

United were there for the taking in the second half.

gooner said:
Well done Wenger. Arsene knows.

Not having a top class striker costed us again tonight. Giroud has to be scoring that chance from Sagna's cross. Even outside of that, his link up play is mixed to say the least and the creative midfield players around him seem frustrated with him at times. You could see fans were getting on his back tonight and it was similar against Chelsea earlier in the season. Not good enough at this level. Wenger talks about "special, special quality" but he paid 12m pounds for Giroud but wouldn't pay just over 25m for Higuain before Napoli came in with a higher bid at a later stage. His dithering in the transfer market is hindering all this and it's a reoccurring them over the years(Mata in 2011, Schwarzer back in 2010 when Almunia was in goal, Jagielka in 2010 and 2011). I can't understand his methods. I think fans are growing a bit tired of it judging by the booing tonight at the end of the game. A rake of money in reserve and an injured midfield player on loan is what he brings in when a striker was needed. Even when he's fit, Ramsey will be back and Flamini's 4 game ban will be finished. Take Mourinho for example, he can't put things off to the next window and talk about only signing "special, special quality" as this dithering that is so systematic of Wenger's approach could cost him his job. Matic who has been excellent so far and Salah came in January. Wenger has the comfort zone cushion to get away with this and he just doesn't give himself the best chance possible to win things by not addressing the glaring weaknesses that the team has. That's where the justified criticism is coming from now.

Giroud, Bendtner, and Sanogo are Arsenal's main strikers through the middle. That simply shouldn't be acceptable.

United were there for the taking in the second half.

Sadly I locked onto the wrong game tonight somewhat against gut feel. A typical battle of two teams trying to avoid defeat. Poor play for the most part, low intensity and zero leadership on the pitch.

The two best players on the pitch were the goal keepers.

Wenger is like a politician who have been in power for too long. Ragged, low on new ideas, too much baggage now. But who would you hire? Martinez?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Sadly I locked onto the wrong game tonight somewhat against gut feel. A typical battle of two teams trying to avoid defeat. Poor play for the most part, low intensity and zero leadership on the pitch.

The two best players on the pitch were the goal keepers.

I was talking to my United fan friend on the phone before the game and called it exactly as how it went. Arsenal have no threat in behind, all players who come to the ball than run in behind the defence. The movement ahead of the play is how you utilise the likes of Ozil's and Cazorla's creativity. That football will not suffice against well organised teams. It's too easy to defend against at times and it becomes predictable. One player who is getting away with criticism at the moment is Wilshere.

Wenger is like a politician who have been in power for too long. Ragged, low on new ideas, too much baggage now. But who would you hire? Martinez?

Lets see how it goes in the next few months but I think they will get found out. If that's the case, I do think someone else deserves a chance. I don't think it will happen, Wenger will get another nice easy cushy contract 24m pounds over 3 years which is crazy coming off nearly 9 years without a trophy. A lot of managers would love those conditions.

Martinez would be one I would look at if it comes to it. Look at Moyes's record against the top 4 away when he was at Everton. Not one win. The club record in this instance was tied in with him. In comes Martinez and they win at Old Trafford and outplay Arsenal at the Emirates. Wenger's recent record against United and Chelsea is pathetic and that is similarly tied in with him which feeds down into the players. He can't do it in the big games, watch the status quo continue against Bayern. He couldn't even get his team over the hurdle against Birmingham in a cup final. Stability and loyalty with Martinez is something that goes in his favour. Remember he turned down Liverpool and Villa in 2 different summers to stay at Wigan when he didn't feel the working conditions were to his liking. He wouldn't have to worry about that at Arsenal.

I'm a huge fan of Martinez ever since his days managing Swansea. I remember watching them play Fulham in the FA Cup when they were still in the Championship and their football was a joy to watch. He got them promoted from League 1 and changed the whole culture of the way they club played which made it easier for his successors in Paulo Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup to take on. Also loved listening to him as a pundit for Sky Sports La Liga coverage when he was still a player with them before taking over the manager reins there.

EDIT: The main thing I want in a manager is one that will run the team, not the whole club.

gooner said:
I was talking to my United fan friend on the phone before the game and called it exactly as how it went. Arsenal have no threat in behind, all players who come to the ball than run in behind the defence. The movement ahead of the play is how you utilise the likes of Ozil's and Cazorla's creativity. That football will not suffice against well organised teams. It's too easy to defend against at times and it becomes predictable. One player who is getting away with criticism at the moment is Wilshere.

Lets see how it goes in the next few months but I think they will get found out. If that's the case, I do think someone else deserves a chance. I don't think it will happen, Wenger will get another nice easy cushy contract 24m pounds over 3 years which is crazy coming off nearly 9 years without a trophy. A lot of managers would love those conditions.

Martinez would be one I would look at if it comes to it. Look at Moyes's record against the top 4 away when he was at Everton. Not one win. The club record in this instance was tied in with him. In comes Martinez and they win at Old Trafford and outplay Arsenal at the Emirates. Wenger's recent record against United and Chelsea is pathetic and that is similarly tied in with him which feeds down into the players. He can't do it in the big games, watch the status quo continue against Bayern. He couldn't even get his team over the hurdle against Birmingham in a cup final. Stability and loyalty with Martinez is something that goes in his favour. Remember he turned down Liverpool and Villa in 2 different summers to stay at Wigan when he didn't feel the working conditions were to his liking. He wouldn't have to worry about that at Arsenal.

I'm a huge fan of Martinez ever since his days managing Swansea. I remember watching them play Fulham in the FA Cup when they were still in the Championship and their football was a joy to watch. He got them promoted from League 1 and changed the whole culture of the way they club played which made it easier for his successors in Paulo Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup to take on. Also loved listening to him as a pundit for Sky Sports La Liga coverage when he was still a player with them before taking over the manager reins there.

EDIT: The main thing I want in a manager is one that will run the team, not the whole club.

Agree about Martinez.

I do admire the continued support of a club, but mine went out the window awhile back. Just too many millionaire players who couldn't care less and owners with shifty eyes. Anyway the occasional good game keeps me coming back.

Good luck to Arsenal.