• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
don't think it will happen, Wenger will get another nice easy cushy contract 24m pounds over 3 years which is crazy coming off nearly 9 years without a trophy. A lot of managers would love those conditions.

Martinez would be one I would look at if it comes to it. Look at Moyes's record against the top 4 away when he was at Everton. Not one win. The club record in this instance was tied in with him. In comes Martinez and they win at Old Trafford and outplay Arsenal at the Emirates. Wenger's recent record against United and Chelsea is pathetic and that is similarly tied in with him which feeds down into the players. He can't do it in the big games, watch the status quo continue against Bayern. He couldn't even get his team over the hurdle against Birmingham in a cup final. Stability and loyalty with Martinez is something that goes in his favour. Remember he turned down Liverpool and Villa in 2 different summers to stay at Wigan when he didn't feel the working conditions were to his liking. He wouldn't have to worry about that at Arsenal.

I'm a huge fan of Martinez ever since his days managing Swansea. I remember watching them play Fulham in the FA Cup when they were still in the Championship and their football was a joy to watch. He got them promoted from League 1 and changed the whole culture of the way they club played which made it easier for his successors in Paulo Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup to take on. Also loved listening to him as a pundit for Sky Sports La Liga coverage when he was still a player with them before taking over the manager reins there.

EDIT: The main thing I want in a manager is one that will run the team, not the whole club.

Whilst I think Martinez is a prospect and is doing a good job at Everton, think at this point in time it's a misplaced hope that he'd do better than Wenger at Arsnenal, this is understandable considering the desperation at the club to win something ... However..
In terms of quality managers out there once you take out 'guardiola' as out of the league, Mourinhou as a complete non fit , what are you left with? Martinez - already mentioned, Harry Redknapp? - now that would be a laugh ...
Array Redknapp's mother is a wh.... A what. . . ? Don't think Arsenal fans would be able to stomach that, I seriously can't think of many contenders that would actually take the job and realise what it means in. The same way Wenger does.

Having said that I also appreciate more than most the amount of time without a serious trophy and tbf without a team that is seriously up there with the best of Europe is not on either...

Ps. Wenger came from nowhere or out of the blue so to speak.. So maybe there's hope!

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Tom375 said:
Whilst I think Martinez is a prospect and is doing a good job at Everton, think at this point in time it's a misplaced hope that he'd do better than Wenger at Arsnenal, this is understandable considering the desperation at the club to win something ... However..
In terms of quality managers out there once you take out 'guardiola' as out of the league, Mourinhou as a complete non fit , what are you left with? Martinez - already mentioned, Harry Redknapp? - now that would be a laugh ...
Array Redknapp's mother is a wh.... A what. . . ? Don't think Arsenal fans would be able to stomach that, I seriously can't think of many contenders that would actually take the job and realise what it means in. The same way Wenger does.

Having said that I also appreciate more than most the amount of time without a serious trophy and tbf without a team that is seriously up there with the best of Europe is not on either...

Ps. Wenger came from nowhere or out of the blue so to speak.. So maybe there's hope!

Conte came from Siena and Atalanta to manage Juve. He got Siena promoted but he failed at Atalanta. Look at him now. Klopp got Mainz promoted and then relegated before Dortmund. When I see their career progress, I don't see why Martinez couldn't manage a top club.

Rudi Garcia is another as well but I can't see him leaving Roma at the moment. He speaks good english which helps and I loved the football that Lille played when they won the league.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Guillem Balague has said that Alvaro Morata has agreed personal terms with Arsenal to join them in the summer. It's just the negotiating of the fee with Madrid left to do.

I'm a big fan of him and I think he would be a great addition.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hiddink to take over the Dutch team after the World Cup.

Supposedly wants Stam, Van Bronckhorst and Van Nistelrooy in his backroom staff.

I can see Van Gaal coming to the Premiership, maybe with Spurs.

theres only one........................

only one 'rocky' pardew.............what a lot of fuss over nowt

reading the BBC review full of moral outrage over pardew but no mention of the hull player who barged pardew out of the way

who gives a ****...............great win for the toon

Mark L

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I watched the Arsenal game and it was abysmal. No penetration whatsoever, like I have said before, their play is too much in front of teams and they have a problem against well organised teams. It's all the more baffling when Chamberlain started on the bench and did well when he came on. If you want in a nutshell the failed policies of Wenger, the pull back by Chamberlain at the end of the game for Sanogo to blaze over is exactly it. A more prolific proven cultured striker was lacking here and was definitely the difference once again. As for the other guy, it doesn't help matters when we have the equivalent of Tony Cascarino or Lee Chapman up front. He wouldn't be the main striker at the other top 6 clubs in the League.

In the last couple of days the papers are saying that Wenger has stalled on signing a new deal and the board are concerned about it. This is the longest he has ever went in the last year without signing, if memory serves me right, that was November 2001 when he did so in his last year. I remember he signed in October 2004, September 2007 and August 2010 in his previous last years of contract. Those were all 3 year extensions which is the exact same as now on the table for him to sign. He spoke recently about the question of whether Arsenal can win trophies would decide his future, this month is crucial to that, Spurs and Chelsea away, City at home and Everton in the FA Cup. Forget the Bayern game. There could be serious doubt if this spell of fixtures go badly wrong. Interesting times ahead here.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Throw the book at Pardew. Taunting Wenger and O'Neill in the past when his teams scored and pushing a linesman. The pushing of the linesman thing is one where "I'm above you" where he was sense of entitlement. Pardew mentions heat of the moment on all this occasions but this has happened a few times now that this excuse doesn't wash no more. David Bernstein who was the former head of the FA said recently after he left the role that the behaviour of managers was unacceptable nowadays. Pardew isn't the only one though but he's up there as one of the worst. Forget this passion nonsense, you don't see guys like Martinez behaving like this and this is one of the reasons I hope he goes to the very top in the game. Many a manager could learn a thing or two from him.

hang him out to dry

seriously? while pardew deserves to sit in the stands for the next match

this incident was mere 'handbags' no-one was hurt just a quick confrontation

after the hull player barged into pardew.....................if he had been

throwing punches i could agree

now to the real fun....................mackems thrashed in a one sided cup

final...............come on you blues!

Mark L

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think Campbell's comments are bang out of order this morning. His new book is being serialised in The Sunday Times today. I think Walsh has interviewed him also for this.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
ebandit said:
seriously? while pardew deserves to sit in the stands for the next match

this incident was mere 'handbags' no-one was hurt just a quick confrontation

after the hull player barged into pardew.....................if he had been

throwing punches i could agree

now to the real fun....................mackems thrashed in a one sided cup

final...............come on you blues!

Mark L

It's not an isolated incident with him. It's a bad sign when Richard Bevan at the LMA is criticising him and they are staunch defenders of managers.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it was a decent game but Costa's reputation went before him. It was a penalty when Ramos came across him.

In two minds what to watch tonight, PSG v Marseille or Milan v Juve.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Liverpool just released their financial results for the year. This a good graph by the respected Swiss Ramble site detailing the wage bills of the top clubs in the Premiership.

Bh6dSPLCIAAsQvZ.jpg:large

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Hard to feel any sympathy with the outfit. How many BCs will Redknapp be responsible for?

Agree. No sympathy whatsoever for Redknapp. I don't want him a near the Premiership next season.

Remember this beauty when he took over.

Redknapp, who replaced Mark Hughes as manager in November, questioned recent signings after a 1-0 loss at Newcastle.

"There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money," he said.

"Far too much for their ability and what they give to the club.

"I don't really want to see the owners have their pants taken down like they have in the past."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/20828024

Then you look at the disaster of him signing Samba on a 100 grand a week. He's been backed hugely even in The Championship and January just gone proved it. Have one look at their loan signings where they are probably subsiding a fair amount on in terms of wages. The likes of Kranjcar wouldn't be exactly on peanuts.