• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The second half and extra time made it a good game.

Rakitic was the best player on the pitch and he's had a brilliant season. Sevilla could have problems holding on to him.

gooner said:
The second half and extra time made it a good game.

Rakitic was the best player on the pitch and he's had a brilliant season. Sevilla could have problems holding on to him.

I hope this isn't a double post, my first one it seems didn't make it.

I am totally with you on this.
It's hartbreaking for Benfica to loose yet another final I thinkg.
Sevilla looked to loose Rakitic for the last couple of seasons I think. There are roumors that Real Madrid are interested, but I don't thinkg Rakitic would really go for it because I can't imaginge him and Modric playing alongsinde really. I am not really up to date about Sevillas financial sitiuation though. I guess a lot of teams should be interested in Rakitic now. I've been a fan of his since his Schalke days. Would love to see him back in the Bundesliga.

kingjr said:
They should skip the extra time at least and go straight to pens after 90 minutes.

Oh no! They should definitely not do that! A lot of the most legendary matches were made in extra time. What they should never do again are golden or silver goals. You just have to look at the 1970 World Cup to know that. Germany-England and Italy-Germany were to of the best matches to be witnessed in World Cup history.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
I hope this isn't a double post, my first one it seems didn't make it.

I am totally with you on this.
It's hartbreaking for Benfica to loose yet another final I thinkg.
Sevilla looked to loose Rakitic for the last couple of seasons I think. There are roumors that Real Madrid are interested, but I don't thinkg Rakitic would really go for it because I can't imaginge him and Modric playing alongsinde really. I am not really up to date about Sevillas financial sitiuation though. I guess a lot of teams should be interested in Rakitic now. I've been a fan of his since his Schalke days. Would love to see him back in the Bundesliga.

Last year there were problems financially but they recouped a lot of money in transfers back then.

Agree, always liked him at Schalke and when he first broke through for Croatia.

I think he has one year left on contract but Guillem Balague(Spanish football journalist on Sky Sports) said he and his family are happy there and might want to extend his contract. He said Madrid have told Rakitic they are willing to wait another year to get him. If I was United, I would test the waters right now with a big bid. He is exactly what they need to solve their current midfield problems.

This piece of skill against Madrid this season was class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDRakDK1d4

Rechtschreibfehler said:
Oh no! They should definitely not do that! A lot of the most legendary matches were made in extra time. What they should never do again are golden or silver goals. You just have to look at the 1970 World Cup to know that. Germany-England and Italy-Germany were to of the best matches to be witnessed in World Cup history.

But I just love penalty shootouts, I don't want my fun to be spoiled by the Extra-time :p. And I fully agree to your remark about the golden/silver goal rule.

kingjr said:
But I just love penalty shootouts, I don't want my fun to be spoiled by the Extra-time :p. And I fully agree to your remark about the golden/silver goal rule.

I do love penalty shoot outs as well. But really, would you rather have a penalty shout out or an epic extra time? Or even an extra time with a penalty shoot out at the end (for example France-Germany 82)?

Personally, I just don't think that you can really mean that!

gooner said:
Last year there were problems financially but they recouped a lot of money in transfers back then.

Agree, always liked him at Schalke and when he first broke through for Croatia.

I think he has one year left on contract but Guillem Balague(Spanish football journalist on Sky Sports) said he and his family are happy there and might want to extend his contract. He said Madrid have told Rakitic they are willing to wait another year to get him. If I was United, I would test the waters right now with a big bid. He is exactly what they need to solve their current midfield problems.

This piece of skill against Madrid this season was class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDRakDK1d4

Yeah, that was just very very cool indeed! I just hope he'll stay at Sevilla or play for a team in which he'll play a central role and be sucessfull at national and international level. In short term I think he could be a star of the world cup. Execpt for the CB maybe the Swiss have a great team at their hands this time. It has depth and quality, so they could play a good role. Plus they have a great coach.

I have to say though, if I had to choose one team execpt from my own (Germany) to do well it would be Bosnia and Herzegowina.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
And we lose again another final...

We couldn't score, the ref stole us 3 penalty kicks, Enzo,Markovic and Sálvio didnt play, but it was our fault not converting the opportunities.

Sevilla is weaker than Benfica, but they dont have a ****ing curse hauting them, so congratz to them.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hugo87 said:
And we lose again another final...

We couldn't score, the ref stole us 3 penalty kicks, Enzo,Markovic and Sálvio didnt play, but it was our fault not converting the opportunities.

Sevilla is weaker than Benfica, but they dont have a ****ing curse hauting them, so congratz to them.

Limpinho, limpinho :rolleyes:
It's funny as hell to see you talk about referees.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
b3n3v3nt3 said:
Limpinho, limpinho :rolleyes:
It's funny as hell to see you talk about referees.

It's funny as hell, to see a anti-benfica fan talking **** on a cycling forum.

Always stay like that you make us even bigger. :)

Even Marca biggest spanish sports jornal admitted refs errors, but you are probably a corrupto's/fruta's ( a club at North in Portugal or that so called "rival" that finished 7th 2 years ago ) fanatic, so you are just happy for the others misfortunes like small people do.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Not really, I'm not anti-anything at all. Just a portuguese football fan cheering for the best portuguese players on the field.

Thank you Beto, Carriço, and Figueiras :D

But while you're at it, let me quote a benfica player after scoring an offside goal in Europa League against PAOK:

"Fora-de-jogo? Foi golo e isso é o importante"
"Offside? It was a goal and that's all it matters".

Now i say: "3 penalties? You lost and that's all it matters" :D

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Amazing you know more quotations from Benfica's coaches and players than me, strange you are not from any of those clubs... :cool:

Best portuguese players?

Gomes,Almeida,Cavaleiro and Amorim from Benfica are all 4 on the World Cup list for the National team, most of any team. From those 3 only Beto is, but ok.

Not gonna spend more time on a Anti, Benfica seems to be your life motivation.

Cheers :)

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hugo87 said:
Amazing you know more quotations from Benfica's coaches and players than me, strange you are not from any of those clubs... :cool:

Best portuguese players?

Gomes,Almeida,Cavaleiro and Amorim from Benfica are all 4 on the World Cup list for the National team, most of any team. From those 3 only Beto is, but ok.

Not gonna spend more time on a Anti, Benfica seems to be your life motivation.

Cheers :)

Once again, not really, I just pay attention to our football.
And you're wrong, that player list is not final, as only 23 will travel to Brazil. Some of those 4 are only in the pre-list because they're from benfica. Tell me one country that puts a forward player (Ivan Cavaleiro) in a national team that scored only 1 goal in his main team. It's ridiculous.
André Gomes is also incredibly weak as everyone saw yesterday.
Only Gomes and Ruben Amorim deserve it, and even then I bet they'll watch the world cup in the bench as we have better players (just like it happens in Benfica, your strongest starting 11 doesn't even have a single portuguese player).

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say it was the final list, I just wanted to bait you again, because I knew you would argue against Benfica another time, just to see that hate working :D

Cavaleiro it's mostly a Right Winger, not a Forward, just in sub-21 national team sometimes he plays as second Striker because strikers there suck, in Benfica B and Benfica he plays as Winger.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hugo87 said:
I didn't say it was the final list, I just wanted to bait you again, because I knew you would argue against Benfica another time. :D

I'm just pointing out facts :p

I hope your team doesn't shake and goes with confidence on the Portuguese Cup Final on Sunday, it has more than enough quality to win vs Rio Ave again ;)

Sorry, but wingers are forward players, just like strikers.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
b3n3v3nt3 said:
I'm just pointing out facts :p

I hope your team doesn't shake and goes with confidence on the Portuguese Cup Final on Sunday, it has more than enough quality to win vs Rio Ave again ;)

Sorry, but wingers are forward players, just like strikers.

You hope? Yeah right, I bet Sunday you are caxinheiro since you were a baby.

"In football, a winger is an attacking midfielder in a wide position." It's wikipedia, not me.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hugo87 said:
You hope? Yeah right, I bet Sunday you are caxinheiro since you were a baby.

"In football, a winger is an attacking midfielder in a wide position." It's wikipedia, not me.

"Ivan Ricardo Neves Abreu Cavaleiro (born 18 October 1993) is a Portuguese footballer who plays for S.L. Benfica as a forward."

It's wikipedia, not me.

and...

4 Forward

4.1 Centre forward
4.2 Second striker
4.3 Winger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_positions#Winger

It's wikipedia, not me.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Cavaleiro it's a winger, a "extremo" like we say in Portugal and wingers are not supposed/use to score many goals, but to provide assists like Jesus Navas or Nani.

Do you know everyone can edit wikipedia right?

When I said " wikipedia, not me" I was being ironic, but I guess you don't know what that means. :D

ivan.jpg

ivan_cavaleiro_overview_profile.png

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Right, because when i used your phrase 2 times, I had no idea what it meant :facepalm:

Tell me if these can also be edited by anyone:

http://m.slbenfica.pt/Plantel/Futebol/Detalhe/tabid/1914/PID/1099/SeID/8/Ivan%20Cavaleiro.aspx
http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?id=142851
http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/ivan-cavaleiro/benfica/1575-10-26278
http://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/jogadores/1654/ivan_cavaleiro/119238/
http://www.dnoticias.pt/actualidade/desporto/435161-ivan-cavaleiro-de-regresso-aos-convocados-do-benfica

And I'll just stop here, as you don't deserve more time from me, it's the pre-list for the World Cup:
http://diariodigital.sapo.pt/news.asp?id_news=701899

Also, you say a winger's job is to assist, well, Ivan has zero assists. So yeah, keep talking...

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
If a winger was a midfielder than there'd be no sense in calling anyone a left or right midfielder. ;)

He might still be a midfielder though, but a winger is a bloody forward. ;)
If you consider, Navas, Nani, Bale, Di Maria, Robben and so on forwards, then Ivan Cavaleiro is no doubt a forward.

When Benfica plays 4-4-2, Cavaleiro plays at right or left midfield, when Benfica plays 4-3-3 he plays mostly right winger.

On sub-21 he plays as a second striker, in that case he can be called forward, but many many times he plays as a offensive minded midfield on the right side (4-4-2 formation), that for me isn't a forward player ;)

Edit: ( When on a 4-4-2 formation, Cavaleiro plays where Silva's plays at City, for me that's not a forward, but a right attacking midfielder/winger ) Yesterday, that was the position where Sulejmani played against Sevilla.

main_position.jpg

Ivan Cavaleiro 0 assists and 1 goal this season? You don't see Benfica's B on the II Liga, do you? It's a professional league and it's his main team this year.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
You don't get it, do you? Just because he can play on left or right midfield, it doesn't mean he is one. He's a winger.

"Ivan Cavaleiro 0 assists and 1 goal this season? You don't see Benfica's B on the II Liga, do you? "

There. My bait had some results. Besides his goal in the League Cup, he only scored and assisted in Benfica's B team. Are you really defending his selection for the National Team for what he has done in Benfica B? How ridiculous is that? We're not San Marino(no offense), we're Portugal.

TRENDING THREADS