• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 307 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Sending Remco to do gc in any race is stupid
If he doesn't crash out he can't last 3 weeks yet. Or at least he hasn't proven he can get close to it (obviously he is a phenomenonally talented rider).

Giro is for Fausto Masnada and Cattaneo as a lieutenant.

Tour is for Alaphillipe, classics guys and sprinters stage hunting. Usual strategy.

Vuelta makes sense to send a joung Belgian team with Remco trying a GC. Vansevenont, Van wilde, etc .
I’d be surprised if they don’t send Cav or Jakobsen to the Giro with 7 stages they could win and 4 within the first six stages (at least according to PCS and wiki about the race, I’m not sure the exact profiles) and minus that , Ballerini or Senechal. Not with full team like they would at the Tour but able to ride for the sprint stages. They might even send whatever one doesn’t go to the Tour the ability to do Giro and Vuelta.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I’d be surprised if they don’t send Cav or Jakobsen to the Giro with 7 stages they could win and 4 within the first six stages (at least according to PCS and wiki about the race, I’m not sure the exact profiles) and minus that , Ballerini or Senechal. Not with full team like they would at the Tour but able to ride for the sprint stages. They might even send whatever one doesn’t go to the Tour the ability to do Giro and Vuelta.
I would think they send Jakobsen to the Tour, but then I'm wondering how willing Cavendish would be to go the another GT that isn't the Tour.

I would think they send Jakobsen to the Tour, but then I'm wondering how willing Cavendish would be to go the another GT that isn't the Tour.
I would think Jakobsen would go over Cav as well unless he isn’t preforming as well and Cav is. But then there was an article stating if all things are even they don’t see how Cav will sign again if he is unable to ride the Tour. I would like to think he knew he had his chance this year and bow out to Jakobsen who he has been supportive of and visit Giro and Vuelta for the first time since 2013 and 2011. Try and get the points classification in those two to have two in all 3.

His 2022 schedule:

Valencia
Algarve
Tirreno-Adriatico

Itzulia Pais Vasco
Brabantse Pijl
Flèche Wallonne
Liège Bastogne Liège

Tour of Norway
Tour de Suisse
NC ITT
NC RR

Clásica San Sebastián
Burgos
Vuelta a España
Great schedule, really good that he gets a proper one week stage races schedule of high level under his belt before Vuelta to see what his form is like. I especially like the Tirreno, Basque, Tour de Suisse combination as it provides a good mix of different styles. Good selections of classics in there as well although I don't really see the point of Flèche Wallonne.
But yeah, overall way better schedule than last year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Great schedule, really good that he gets a proper one week stage races schedule of high level under his belt before Vuelta to see what his form is like. I especially like the Tirreno, Basque, Tour de Suisse combination as it provides a good mix of different styles. Good selections of classics in there as well although I don't really see the point of Flèche Wallonne.
But yeah, overall way better schedule than last year.
FW to see if it can ever be possible to win solo before the final Mur De Huy :hearteyes:

FW to see if it can ever be possible to win solo before the final Mur De Huy :hearteyes:
I think he could. Attack on the penultimate ascent of the Mur, only a few will be able to follow, even less would be willing. Then power through on the local lap and stay out of reach. If he can start the last km with 25s i think he could hold it. If not, his teammate will be surfing wheels and finish the job.

I think he could. Attack on the penultimate ascent of the Mur, only a few will be able to follow, even less would be willing. Then power through on the local lap and stay out of reach. If he can start the last km with 25s i think he could hold it. If not, his teammate will be surfing wheels and finish the job.
I think he could win that way but I also think 25s wouldn't be enough.

Ilan van Wilder could really bring a lot to Remco and the team this year, sharing the spotlight and taking the role of Almeida on key races (Lefevered mentioned the Giro).
They did a 15' test 2 days ago during the team stage :
  • Remco : 14'50"i - 430Wii - 7W/kg if 61kgiii
  • Ilan : 15'00"i - 402W i- 6.3W/kg if 64kgiii
Remco's power numbers seem too high for such a small time difference meaning that either the numbers aren't accurate (not the first time) or that Ilan did the first part of the climb in Remco's wheel (seems possible since they have the same climbing time for the first 3km of this 6km segment, then Van Wilder lost 10' on the second part of the climb).

Anyway, Van Wilder finished second of this all-out test with really nice numbers so early in the season and lost only a few seconds on Evenepoel, meaning he probably closed the DSM chapter, ready to open a very nice new one.

i Source : Strava
ii Remco hid his power data but some followers saw it before he did and shared it in the Strava comments
iii Source : ProCyclingStats

Reactions: Sandisfan and Wvv
Ilan van Wilder could really bring a lot to Remco and the team this year, sharing the spotlight and taking the role of Almeida on key races (Lefevered mentioned the Giro).
They did a 15' test 2 days ago during the team stage :
  • Remco : 14'50"i - 430Wii - 7W/kg if 61kgiii
  • Ilan : 15'00"i - 402W i- 6.3W/kg if 64kgiii
Remco's power numbers seem too high for such a small time difference meaning that either the numbers aren't accurate (not the first time) or that Ilan did the first part of the climb in Remco's wheel (seems possible since they have the same climbing time for the first 3km of this 6km segment, then Van Wilder lost 10' on the second part of the climb).

Anyway, Van Wilder finished second of this all-out test with really nice numbers so early in the season and lost only a few seconds on Evenepoel, meaning he probably closed the DSM chapter, ready to open a very nice new one.

i Source : Strava
ii Remco hid his power data but some followers saw it before he did and shared it in the Strava comments
iii Source : ProCyclingStats
Yep, already saw this. I have also heard Ilan looks lean, so he might have lost some weight, which could help with those power numbers.
Compare his numbers to those of Bagioli who did the same test with them, who pushed way higher numbers than Van Wilder and supposedly weighs 4kgs less... yet finished way behind Ilan. In fact, looking at all three of their numbers, it's not Remco's that seem off. But indeed Van Wilder might be one of the few that could actually benefit in Evenepoel's wheel.

Furthermore, Lefevere said Ilan hasn't been training as long as the others, so he might have some more room to improve as well.

But they won't ride a lot of races together this year it seems. Different prep races and different GT.

Last edited:
Its a very obvious tactic for his team to adopt as it both frees them from any responsibility to keep things together and allows Ala to sit back and just position himself menacingly whilst also taking Remco off the leash and giving him a live chance of victory.

Its a very obvious tactic for his team to adopt as it both frees them from any responsibility to keep things together and allows Ala to sit back and just position himself menacingly whilst also taking Remco off the leash and giving him a live chance of victory.
It's what they should have done at the WCC between Remco and Wout as well.

I think he could win that way but I also think 25s wouldn't be enough.
Well that's what they thought in Classica San Sebastian as well.

Yep, already saw this. I have also heard Ilan looks lean, so he might have lost some weight, which could help with those power numbers.
Compare his numbers to those of Bagioli who did the same test with them, who pushed way higher numbers than Van Wilder and supposedly weighs 4kgs less... yet finished way behind Ilan. In fact, looking at all three of their numbers, it's not Remco's that seem off. But indeed Van Wilder might be one of the few that could actually benefit in Evenepoel's wheel.

Furthermore, Lefevere said Ilan hasn't been training as long as the others, so he might have some more room to improve as well.

But they won't ride a lot of races together this year it seems. Different prep races and different GT.
When the Van Wilder news came, I was actually thinking about how he could be ideal in combination with Remco in the TTT in the Vuelta. Pretty much everyone else is going to die in Remco's wheel.

When the Van Wilder news came, I was actually thinking about how he could be ideal in combination with Remco in the TTT in the Vuelta. Pretty much everyone else is going to die in Remco's wheel.
Yeah, i also thought he would do the Vuelta with Evenepoel for the TTT, but also for himself to be able to learn without pressure, ride mainly for himself but help Remco if needed.
Also them being the exact same size would mean he could give his bike in case of a mechanical issue in the heat of battle.

Well that's what they thought in Classica San Sebastian as well.
It's true, San Sebastian was really impressive and unexpected, but one would have to note the very different nature of the two finishes. FW is another beast entirely, requiring a very different kind of physiological effort not as well suited to EV. Not saying he can't do it, just that the comparison to SS still leaves big questions.

It's true, San Sebastian was really impressive and unexpected, but one would have to note the very different nature of the two finishes. FW is another beast entirely, requiring a very different kind of physiological effort not as well suited to EV. Not saying he can't do it, just that the comparison to SS still leaves big questions.
San Sebastian's "virtual" finish was on Tontorra. That's where the favorites had to close the gap if they wanted/could. Not in the descent following it towards the finish. They didn't come significantly closer. Maybe 5 or so seconds. It might not be the exact same thing as the Mur de Huy, but it's definitely the same ballpark. Overall it's steeper and longer.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n7-5567f6d6e9.jpg
la-fleche-wallone-2021-result-climb-n12-8a44a1ca8b.jpg

To win Fleche, Remco needs to be more explosive than Alaphilippe. If he attacks before the penultimate ascent of the Mur, then Julien sits on the wheels and has a free ride. If he waits till the final ascent, then he has to leave Alaphilippe in the dust. A frightning querry.

To win Fleche, Remco needs to be more explosive than Alaphilippe. If he attacks before the penultimate ascent of the Mur, then Julien sits on the wheels and has a free ride. If he waits till the final ascent, then he has to leave Alaphilippe in the dust. A frightning querry.

Remco in great form could win Fleche if he goes early on the Mur I believe, even if he is not as explosive as some others. He could tire the others out to the point they cant sprint past him, but he would have to be super-strong that day. I dont think that is too farfetched though. It might/could happen in the future.

Someone like Ala can just have a bad day also.

Reactions: Extinction
Remco in great form could win Fleche if he goes early on the Mur I believe, even if he is not as explosive as some others. He could tire the others out to the point they cant sprint past him, but he would have to be super-strong that day. I dont think that is too farfetched though. It might/could happen in the future.

Someone like Ala can just have a bad day also.
Sure, but I don't think Alaphilippe arrives on a bad day and Remco would have to really attack at the right moment, otherwise he surely is defeated on the Mur at the finish against the Frenchman (which is as explosive of an uphill sprint you can imagine). Either way, I'd be happy. But is Pogacar riding? The Slovenian potentially could upset the best laid plans of Deceunick.

San Sebastian's "virtual" finish was on Tontorra. That's where the favorites had to close the gap if they wanted/could. Not in the descent following it towards the finish. They didn't come significantly closer. Maybe 5 or so seconds. It might not be the exact same thing as the Mur de Huy, but it's definitely the same ballpark. Overall it's steeper and longer.

Understood. That the Mur is a finishing climb makes a significant difference in terms of how it's raced and what kind of effort riders need to put out.

But are you really expecting Remco to be so weak that he only has 25s?

I actually think he can win solo, but not by only having 25 seconds at the base.