• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 778 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
LRCP: Will you be riding for SOQ next year?
Remco: Normally Yes...

View: https://youtu.be/LS7PSE0-3nw
He also mentions 'respect' and says "cycling isn't like football".

On one side he says things have to improve and he wants more and better riders next to him, but on the other hand he thinks the team is making progress and there is already knowledge present. He believes they can reach the level of UAE and Jumbo.

He is happy with Landa, but disappointed that De Plus and/or Sivakov didn't work out. Hopes for at least one more.

Doesn't sound like he wants to leave soon.

Last edited:
He also mentions 'respect' and says "cycling isn't like football".

On one side he says things have to improve and he wants more and better riders next to him, but on the other hand he thinks the team is making progress and there is already knowledge present. He believes they can reach the level of UAE and Jumbo.

He is happy with Landa, but disappointed that De Plus and/or Sivakov didn't work out. Hopes for at least one more.

Doesn't sound like he wants to leave soon.
Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling that Patrick Lefevere is still digesting the money that he has to pay to have top domestiques. He has to realize that some good domestiques in the big teams get money like leaders in other teams. And even more. He needs to get past that or he won't find anyone good available soon.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling that Patrick Lefevere is still digesting the money that he has to pay to have top domestiques. He has to realize that some good domestiques in the big teams get money like leaders in other teams. And even more. He needs to get past that or he won't find anyone good available soon.
After buying landa what remco needs more? Landa, hirt, wilder even masnada or alaphillipe are more than enough to help him in the mountains. They also have lampaert, cavagna, asgreen, cattaneo and some others to help in the flat and medium mountain stages. The team is and will be good to help him. They also have a good performance staff. The only reason he could not be satisfied is because of his salary.

He just needs to focus on being more stronger than pogacar and specially vingegaard. That's the most important thing to win a grand tour.

Don't have time to watcht this. Assume it's 1 hour of him praising Masnada and wishing a speedy recovery, and then 1 hour of him desperately trying to explain to the podcasts that he is not a Belgian spilak, slowly getting increasingly sweaty and glancing at his agent, whilst the hosts press him on the mickey mouse route of the 2022 la vuelta?
Sums it up rather nicely. No need for you or anyone else to press the play button anymore.

What I found very interesting (idk if he has ever said this before) but he clearly seems to think he dropped on stage 8 of the Giro due to covid. He didn't say so explicity but talks about how his body didn't respond to the effort as expected.

Another thing I really liked was how open he was about the mistakes there were made in the recovery following his Lombardia crash. Saying he was too eager to show he was back leading to the fracture opening up again. Telling the team to help Almeida before the team was willing to switch leaders. And now he's thinking he never should have started the Giro at all. I can't help but come away with the feeling QS really didn't know what they were doing at the time.

What I found very interesting (idk if he has ever said this before) but he clearly seems to think he dropped on stage 8 of the Giro due to covid. He didn't say so explicity but talks about how his body didn't respond to the effort as expected.

Another thing I really liked was how open he was about the mistakes there were made in the recovery following his Lombardia crash. Saying he was too eager to show he was back leading to the fracture opening up again. Telling the team to help Almeida before the team was willing to switch leaders. And now he's thinking he never should have started the Giro at all. I can't help but come away with the feeling QS really didn't know what they were doing at the time.
To the bolded, it's good to know he listens to us.

The key message is that his forearms are more aero than a skinsuit, given that he is shaving the hair on his arms every time before a TT.
View: https://youtu.be/LS7PSE0-3nw?t=6000

Remco just saved me a lot of money for a skinsuit. I am currently looking for my wife's ladyshave and will go 5s faster on my local training ride tomorrow.

On a more serious note, I really like his take on some of the races we have all seen and discussed, sometimes giving away some insights, and him being open and clear about a lot of things:
1. going up Jebel Hafeet at 7W/kg with Adam Yates
2. saying his Algarve TT was one of his best while we all know he pushed 392W average because he accidentally posted his power data for a short time on strava
3. saying he felt he had more left than Bilbao in San Sebastian on the last climb so he was more confident he had more energy left than Bilbao for the sprint
4. explaining why he was suffering in the World's and was subsequently out of the race
5. recalling he got dropped by Roglic at Sierra de la Pandera because he underestimated the climb
6. talking about his issues following wheels on downhills
7. admitting many mistakes in his come-back after his Lombardia crash and regretting having re-started in the Giro, and suggesting that he didn't want to do the Tour as his prep. would be equally bad (a bit better but still, not good enough)
8. clearly showing great respect for Tadej and Jonas (and all other GC riders) and while not explicilty saying so, I feel Remco knows his current place in the pecking order and while he clearly wants to beat Jonas and Tadej in GC races, he knows he shouldn't speak about that ambition too much but just try to show it first in the races.
9. him being open about the purpose of his youtube channel (to self-promote his image)
10. him considering avoiding taxes by moving to Andorra or Monaco without any sense of shame.

etcetera etcetera.

What he didn't speak too much about, was the sometimes strange atmosphere in the Belgian team that for sure was there in / after Leuven WC, the same with regards to Wollongong with Remco hardly ever training with the rest of the team and this behaviour continued in Glasgow but to a lesser extend.
What I found a bit strange was Remco talking about Alaphilippe as a mountain domestique, while it is rumoured Alaphilippe is talking with other teams about a transfer, so this is, at the moment, only applicable for the Vuelta?

Last edited:
Are you
Yeah for the first time it was a straight answer that he's staying at QS

Which begs the question, what the *** are Ineos doing?
I'm not sure using the reply 'normally - yes' is a straight answer. To me it sounded like Remco wants a strongermore prefessional team at rider and staff level, otherwise he will be dissapointed in staying. Either way, Ineos won't announce new signings with a GT still to race.

Reactions: Big Doopie