• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 913 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He didn't have a single elite performance on any of the mountains. He was good in breakaways, the Arinsal sprint and the short climbs. Before his bonk, he was already dropped on Javalambre.

Pogi on the other hand, had several of his best performances in the Tour.
It's like comparing Richie Porte and Mikel Landa. Sure, the tiny midget had the power to stomp climbs, but he never delivered on the most mythical mountains in the hardest stages like Landismo could.

8jcFJTY.jpeg

In a post-race interview he said there's no shame in losing to someone who's a bit faster. He expected that there would be less wind, and that he started his sprint too soon. If he doesn't run into any issues tomorrow he expects everything to go well. Which I read as winning the GC. He was also very happy with his team, which makes sense, they rode very well today.

In a post-race interview he said there's no shame in losing to someone who's a bit faster. He expected that there would be less wind, and that he started his sprint too soon. If he doesn't run into any issues tomorrow he expects everything to go well. Which I read as winning the GC. He was also very happy with his team, which makes sense, they rode very well today.

No shame, it was demonic sprint by Dani, no one expected that in headwind conditions

Very nice shot...
Now to the concept of a tiny midget. Just trying to sort of get the picture of such a person.
Sorry, my memory failed me: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/search/330083/?q=tlmrp&o=relevance

Or wait, seems it was right:
TLMRP = The Little Man Ritchie Porte
I thought it stood for Tiny Little Midget Ritchie Porte.
Technically, you are correct, but for those sensitive fans that would not accept such a "term", I had to come up with a politically correct version.

As you know, these days, especially the millennials and Aussies are a very sensitive bunch so it is better to have an alternative just to keep them happy

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazed and Confused
The discussion about training in altitude is interesting. I don't know of altitude is good to every rider. Maybe some riders respond better to training in altitude than others.
Almost everyone gets an increase in hematocrit from the hypoxia at altitude, then after return to lower elevation drops gradually to previous hematocrit level over the course of two weeks. This is without adding any clinic-related programs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Almost everyone gets an increase in hematocrit from the hypoxia at altitude, then after return to lower elevation drops gradually to previous hematocrit level over the course of two weeks. This is without adding any clinic-related programs.
Maybe the effect is not equal to everybody because riders like Remco and Pogacar will just do one altitude training camp before the Tour, and riders like roglic and Vingegaard will do 3/4 training camps. Vingegaard is at the moment in teide.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He beat him quite comfortably at his GT weight at the Giro...
Funnily enough, they sent him significantly heavier to the Giro than the '22 Vuelta for that very reason. Their explanation was that he needed to be lighter in the '22 Vuelta because it had more short and steep climbs, compared to the Giro, which supposedly had longer and less steep climbs and this way he could benefit more from the TT's. Which again shows you the masterminds that are surrounding him at SQS. Taking the risk of losing multiple minutes in the mountains, to gain a few seconds in the TT. Also, why does Vingegaard weigh so little for the Tour? Because the Tour has even longer and less steep climbs generally speaking than the Giro. Why hasn't Visma caught on yet? They should put Vingegaard in the Tour weighing 68 or something, he will do even better in the flat TT and the extra weight doesn't really matter that much in the mountains.

Funnily enough, they sent him significantly heavier to the Giro than the '22 Vuelta for that very reason. Their explanation was that he needed to be lighter in the '22 Vuelta because it had more short and steep climbs, compared to the Giro, which supposedly had longer and less steep climbs and this way he could benefit more from the TT's. Which again shows you the masterminds that are surrounding him at SQS. Taking the risk of losing multiple minutes in the mountains, to gain a few seconds in the TT. Also, why does Vingegaard weigh so little for the Tour? Because the Tour has even longer and less steep climbs generally speaking than the Giro. Why hasn't Visma caught on yet? They should put Vingegaard in the Tour weighing 68 or something, he will do even better in the flat TT and the extra weight doesn't really matter that much in the mountains.
Do you think the staff surrounding Remco is that bad?

Yep,
Remco not being able to win against the B-Teams crew is worrying - even at this early season's time
Still the same Evenepoel, by the looks of it. If he doesn't perform on Malhao - let's say a win or a VERY close 2nd place, I'd say a good TdF GC result is out of the question, UNLESS his mid-February form is worse than usual.

It's not only about who's the better medium mountain puncheur, Dani or Remco. No, the pace was high enough to the point that a generational GC talent with an uphill sprint should have dusted the subpar competition. The run-in to the final climb was hard.

Needless to say, this type of finish is not ideal for Kuss, who came in third.

Still the same Evenepoel, by the looks of it. If he doesn't perform on Malhao - let's say a win or a VERY close 2nd place, I'd say a good TdF GC result is out of the question, UNLESS his mid-February form is worse than usual.

It's not only about who's the better medium mountain puncheur, Dani or Remco. No, the pace was high enough to the point that a generational GC talent with an uphill sprint should have dusted the subpar competition. The run-in to the final climb was hard.

Needless to say, this type of finish is not ideal for Kuss, who came in third.
Lol, what type of conclusions are you drawing out of a February race

TRENDING THREADS