• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 980 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
For a healthy person including an athlete, balancing caloric intake with effort is the only thing that really matters except of course the usual proteins, fast sugars and fluids to perform optimally during the day of a sports event. All those "JV diets" are either marketing stuff or give the resemblance of control while in practice there is no real science behind it. It may have a "feel good" placebo effect for those that want control but those that enjoy the idea of eating cake after a hard training effort may perform worse if they are confronted with a harsh diet.

For a healthy person including an athlete, balancing caloric intake with effort is the only thing that really matters except of course the usual proteins, fast sugars and fluids to perform optimally during the day of a sports event. All those "JV diets" are either marketing stuff or give the resemblance of control while in practice there is no real science behind it. It may have a "feel good" placebo effect for those that want control but those that enjoy the idea of eating cake after a hard training effort may perform worse if they are confronted with a harsh diet.
What's a JV diet?

I can see it already, Landa and Evenepoel working for Van Wilder. As it should be.
Ironic or not. but yes, in the Dauphiné both riders could. But Van Wilders is so irregular and always has a few bad stages. In fact I think Van Wilders will never reach the level some predicted. That level should be a top 10 an a GT. But that will be difficult in the future

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ironic or not. but yes, in the Dauphiné both riders could. But Van Wilders is so irregular and always has a few bad stages. In fact I think Van Wilders will never reach the level some predicted. That level should be a top 10 an a GT. But that will be difficult in the future
Van Wilder. No s at the end. He already finished the Giro in 12th place, after deliberately losing time in the first week, and taking it easy in the 2nd TT to help Evenepoel the coming days... just to see Evenepoel retire with covid. He was climbing with the other top 10 contenders just fine. He also has plenty of margin to improve, since he is taking a conservative approach to his career. His 1 week results in races he targets are very comparable to those of top 5-10 contenders in a GT. He was 5th in Burgos, 3rd in Algarve, 4th in Romandie, 4th in UAE Tour, 4th in Pologne, 4th in Luxembourg, 12th in the Giro and he won Germany Tour, all in the past 2 years. Saying he can't reach a top 10 in a GT in the future, while he just turned 24 two weeks ago and has not been living like a monk or training like a mad man yet (he wants to take things slowly and make sure he peaks in his career when he is physically the strongest between 25-30), seems like a dangerous prediction. Had he not deliberately lost time in the 2nd TT in the Giro alone, he would already have finished the Giro in the top 10.

So my money is on Remco to take yellow at the Tour very early on and hold to after the TT after that who can tell ...we will be in unchartered territory from there to the end

All these updates that come from the teams on riders conditions don't phase me ...who can believe what anyone says but I think remco will be in a position to take on Pog on the hilly and lower mountains finishes in the first week and the TT and win

So no shouting and roaring about safety or light, etc Remco...just focus on winning

Don't think he will win Dauphine though as not there yet

So my money is on Remco to take yellow at the Tour very early on and hold to after the TT after that who can tell ...we will be in unchartered territory from there to the end

All these updates that come from the teams on riders conditions don't phase me ...who can believe what anyone says but I think remco will be in a position to take on Pog on the hilly and lower mountains finishes in the first week and the TT and win

So no shouting and roaring about safety or light, etc Remco...just focus on winning

Don't think he will win Dauphine though as not there yet

I don't know, the crash has made it impossible to gauge what level of fitness he brings to the Tour. The Dauphine should provide indications in this regard. If he's not with the best in the mountains (or way off the pace) next week, then the Tour won't be about GC for him.

In any case, if Pog is even better at the Tour than the Giro, it won't matter much how fit his rivals are unfortunately.

I actually think people are running away with how good Pog is because his opposition were so poor, not just the riders but the teams

At the Tour things will be a bit more even . There will be more teams able to take on UAE for one and better climbers and faster finishers like remco

I know we have to wait and see how Remco is at the end of the Dauphine

I actually think people are running away with how good Pog is because his opposition were so poor, not just the riders but the teams

At the Tour things will be a bit more even . There will be more teams able to take on UAE for one and better climbers and faster finishers like remco

I actually have been considering this, but, at the same time, factor in that it was the B-team UAE and Pog was holding back. For all intents and purposes, he won the Giro on a luxury training block.

Last edited:

Fair points about the teams as well as Pogi's relative strength. The opposition was not the best. However...

It's hard to imagine any of the other competitors trashing even that crew in the way Pogi just did. I feel like he'd have beaten anyone in the world other than a top Vingegaard by 5 mins, even if Remco or Roglič would have been 3-4 mins in front of the guys who made the podium.

Fair points about the teams as well as Pogi's relative strength. The opposition was not the best. However...

It's hard to imagine any of the other competitors trashing even that crew in the way Pogi just did. I feel like he'd have beaten anyone in the world other than a top Vingegaard by 5 mins, even if Remco or Roglič would have been 3-4 mins in front of the guys who made the podium.
Yea, his climbing and TT levels were too superior. As you say, only top Vingegaard could have been a real challenge.

I actually have been considering this, but, at the same time, factor in that it was the B-team UAE and Pog was holding back. For all intents and purposes, he won the Giro on a luxury training block.

ah yes but I dont think UAE team at Giro was a B team

Maybe team at Tour will be B as while better on paper not always in the right place doing their job...a team is not just about individual strengths

Ineos and Bora will be much better at the Tour

And Kus and Jorgenson if top can put up a very good showing on the climbs...but of course Vinge is the big mystery

That you didn't quote it is actually the point.
I usually quote the part I reply to.

I happen to think that you believe both of your statements as they were written. They do not contradict each other, so the latter statement doesn't change the former. I don't see how "I feel like he'd have beaten anyone in the world other than a top Vingegaard by 5 mins" implies that you are "accounting for the fact that Vingo is currently kaput".

So he would have beaten a top Vingegaard by 3½ minutes and thus you cannot imagine Vingegaard winning the Giro by almost 10 minutes? That seems to fit your first post of this exchange.

If you truly weren't looking to argue with me, you could just have clarified that you agree with me, and that by "any of the other competitors" you mean any other than Vingegaard.

Last edited:
ah yes but I dont think UAE team at Giro was a B team

Maybe team at Tour will be B as while better on paper not always in the right place doing their job...a team is not just about individual strengths

Ineos and Bora will be much better at the Tour

And Kus and Jorgenson if top can put up a very good showing on the climbs...but of course Vinge is the big mystery
I'm under the assumption that the team they fielded at the Giro was not the A-team. Aside from Mika, who is in the twighlight of his career, there really weren't guys to do what's necessary in the mountains at the Tour. Thus the Tour team will be significantly stronger and more adept at getting the job done.