• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 211 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
It's mainly DQS responsible for all that over-hype and confusion that has been created around Remco and his chances in this Giro. Not media, journalists, fans his teammates or Remco himself.

Why? Because no one ever in their right mind gives a leadership in the GT and puts so much pressure on a 21 year old guy, coming back straight after serious injury, with only 2,5 months of training, no racing for 9 months, being a debutant in a GT, never done a single real mountain race in his life, racing on a bike no longer than 4 years = also seriously lacking bike-handling skills.
Pretty much. They made their intentions clear by having Almeida, Masnada and them dom for him. Forgoing any chance of stage success. Of course the media will notice. Can't blame it all or mostly on them.

The Flemish media is not just fangirling - they have their sources, also from within the team, as a reporter pointed out when Lefevere countered that the hype surrounding Remco in this Giro - was all on them.

The team has done an awful job at managing him, because they know how eager he is. Remco has always gone full gas. He's always raced full gas. He wants to win, he wants to compete. It's who he is. Last year i got straight up hate comments in this topic, because i held the team responsible for what happened in Lombardia. Like i said before, he'd only raced for 18 months before turning pro, he doesn't have the technical skills, the tactical baggage that other riders have when they turn pro, or better, when they start competing. The writing was on the wall, so many times. First 6 months after turning pro he crashed time after time. Turkey, Romandie (3 or 4 times in one week), UAE, Adriatica Ionica... The team did nothing. Going into Lombardia last year, a descent that has caused so many problems for experienced pros, he got pushed to his limits by Nibali. How did the team prepare him for this? So he crashes, recovery is going well... and after a few months the team lets him go to Spain on his own. At this point you have to start wondering about the intellectual capacities within the DQT staff. So something nobody could ever have imagined happening, he pushed himself too hard, too fast. What. A. Shocker. Now he has to stay off the bike for another two months. Oh, now he only has 3 months to get ready for the Giro. But he really really really wants it so... ok!

They seem to have a hard time guiding him.

Well, I think after Lombardia I said (and meant) that to a degree you have to take on certain decisions and consequences yourself, after all he's not 12 anymore.
But I admit, I always trusted DQS very much, as much as I hate some things they do and stand for, I used to think they are incredibly professional and just know what they are doing. This trust has been shaken a bit the last days...

Can't help but think this isn't exactly the best Olympic prep either.

Most logical explanation is that Lefevre has used Evenepoel as sponsor bait. That or they just overestimated what he could do this Giro.

All in all, going to the Giro as a GC effort seems really stupid. With this route, and the Tour route as they are. Or if you don't want that, then try the Vuelta which is more low key and gives plenty of recovery time.

The team has done an awful job at managing him, because they know how eager he is. Remco has always gone full gas. He's always raced full gas. He wants to win, he wants to compete. It's who he is. Last year i got straight up hate comments in this topic, because i held the team responsible for what happened in Lombardia. Like i said before, he'd only raced for 18 months before turning pro, he doesn't have the technical skills, the tactical baggage that other riders have when they turn pro, or better, when they start competing. The writing was on the wall, so many times. First 6 months after turning pro he crashed time after time. Turkey, Romandie (3 or 4 times in one week), UAE, Adriatica Ionica... The team did nothing. Going into Lombardia last year, a descent that has caused so many problems for experienced pros, he got pushed to his limits by Nibali. How did the team prepare him for this? So he crashes, recovery is going well... and after a few months the team lets him go to Spain on his own. At this point you have to start wondering about the intellectual capacities within the DQT staff. So something nobody could ever have imagined happening, he pushed himself too hard, too fast. What. A. Shocker. Now he has to stay off the bike for another two months. Oh, now he only has 3 months to get ready for the Giro. But he really really really wants it so... ok!

They seem to have a hard time guiding him.
Ok, I think these are more than enough reasons to terminate DQS's parental rights concering Remco Evenepoel. Who's with me?

This thread is definitely the most entertaining on this forum. High stakes thread :)

I'd just like to add, that apparently, we are allowed to assume many things. Now here are some folks who were two week ago assuming Remco would win this Giro. They were assuming he is better than rider x. The same folks now don't like when other people start assuming he's not as good as he was supposed to be. Surely we can assume this is his real GT performance right? I mean it may turn out not to be a correct assumption but currently, as far as I (and many others here) are concerned, it is a completely valid one...

Reactions: Sandisfan
My impression is that behind the decision to come back at a GT stands the intention to establish a reliable benchmark for the future as much as GC ambitions do (stand).
Watching Bernal and thinking about Pogačar ascertains me we need Evenepoel as well.

Can't help but think this isn't exactly the best Olympic prep either.

Most logical explanation is that Lefevre has used Evenepoel as sponsor bait. That or they just overestimated what he could do this Giro.

All in all, going to the Giro as a GC effort seems really stupid. With this route, and the Tour route as they are. Or if you don't want that, then try the Vuelta which is more low key and gives plenty of recovery time.
I don't really think this was Lefevere's master plan, just Remco not being able to wait, him being too eager, and DQT not being able to control him. We can only hope that in case there are any indications that he is in fact hurting his preparation towards the Olympics, that they would intervene. The Tour was never a real option, imho. But there has been talks of the Vuelta since February, especially when the possibility first dawned on them that the Giro was out of reach.

I think they downplayed the option of the Giro originally, but that he was making progress rapidly in training and started believing, which also explains the rather late / vague teamleader issues between him and Almeida.

Reactions: Big Doopie
He wasn't given leadership, Almeida LOST leadership, by losing 5 minutes on the first GC test. And we didn't see the whole team working for 2 boni seconds, only blind people with an overactive imagination possibly saw that.

Ok... so if Almeida was the leader why didn't anyone stayed with him on that stage where he lost those five minutes??
Clearly logic doesn't seem to be your friend...

Ok... so if Almeida was the leader why didn't anyone stayed with him on that stage where he lost those five minutes??
Clearly logic doesn't seem to be your friend...
Yes, logic is my friend, and i explained why multiple times in the Almeida thread.
The team was too weak to support both leaders. Remco had support of only Serry for 2 minutes (Serry was dropped from the break and caught by Evenepoel's group). Masnada tried to stay with Evenepoel, but ended in between Evenepoel and Almeida. Once Serry got dropped, he and Knox both helped Almeida. In fact, Almeida had more support that stage than Evenepoel. The team had to make a decision, and chose to put the guy NOT losing 5 minutes on the first climb, first.

I don't really think this was Lefevere's master plan, just Remco not being able to wait, him being too eager, and DQT not being able to control him. We can only hope that in case there are any indications that he is in fact hurting his preparation towards the Olympics, that they would intervene. The Tour was never a real option, imho. But there has been talks of the Vuelta since February, especially when the possibility first dawned on them that the Giro was out of reach.

I think they downplayed the option of the Giro originally, but that he was making progress rapidly in training and started believing, which also explains the rather late / vague teamleader issues between him and Almeida.
If Evenepoel is that eager and Lefevre can't contain him then he's doing a *** job tbh.

If Evenepoel is that eager and Lefevre can't contain him then he's doing a *** job tbh.
The plan last year, wasn't to let Evenepoel debut at the Giro, until Evenepoel started spamming Italian flags in their Whatsapp group. Obviously in good fun, but still. Lefevere apparently also got mad at the team doctors who cleared him to go to train in Spain on his own. After the facts.

Being hyped can be a mixed blessing. Pidcock has steadily grown into his shoes as has van der Poel and Wout van Aert. They are their generation's super talents and now they are delivering. Further being multi-skilled and superb bike handlers anything can be thrown at them. Maybe Remco needs some senior support to flourish?

You are all underestimating Remco's impact at DQS. He will have demanded to start this giro. It has been his decision. It will also be his decision to end his GC ambitions if he would do so. He is not "parented". As young and tiny as he is, Remco is a real leader who also earned his credits winning 14 pro wins before turning 2020. He has not the highest salary but in return I am sure he has a lot of flexibility to demand when and where he competes. He wanted to start this giro, the GT he would have started if he didn't crash in Lombardy, so they did everything to make sure that happened. It was also clearly communicated that there were no specific goals for Remco. He is here to gain experience. All the hype started to go in overdrive when he performed great during the first week but this is just a sideshow. And of course Remco wants to win it if he could. He has never started a race without the mentality to win, regardless if that is probable or not. His mindset is part of the reason why he has been so successful sofar.

You are all underestimating Remco's impact at DQS. He will have demanded to start this giro. It has been his decision. It will also be his decision to end his GC ambitions if he would do so. He is not "parented". As young and tiny as he is, Remco is a real leader who also earned his credits winning 14 pro wins before turning 2020. He has not the highest salary but in return I am sure he has a lot of flexibility to demand when and where he competes. He wanted to start this giro, the GT he would have started if he didn't crash in Lombardy, so they did everything to make sure that happened. It was also clearly communicated that there were no specific goals for Remco. He is here to gain experience. All the hype started to go in overdrive when he performed great during the first week but this is just a sideshow. And of course Remco wants to win it if he could. He has never started a race without the mentality to win, regardless if that is probable or not. His mindset is part of the reason why he has been so successful sofar.

If that version was right I would be 100% behind Almeida...

Sounds like an extremely weird way to manage a young rider.

If you look at this year's Grand Tour's Remco is probably best suited to the Tour de France.
There are two nice length time trials 27k and 31k at Stages 5 and 21, so early enough to put him in position and then a late one to make up any time lost.
More importantly there are no long gravel sections and he would have had eight more weeks of recovery time, plus the opportunity to compete in a short multi stage race to get back into the racing rhythm.
Maybe his eagerness to be fresh for the Olympics was an important factor in taking on this Giro, which is an absolute brute of a race in terrible conditions with little preparation.
Absolutely he’s better suited for the TDF, the problem is that those handling and positioning issues are still a big issue and could cost him the chance of winning a GT

think many of us momentarily got fooled by how well Evenepoel did in the first week.

With no amount of logic can anybody who was out for so long and with such a small base really realistically challenge for a win or top 5 in a GT. Heck if he keeps top 10 it would be astonishing already. There's riders with less worse injuries where it took years to gain back a similar level they had before.

Reactions: Wvv and SafeBet
Ok so Remco is very popular, has many supporters, a large fan base (including myself). Deep down and not so deep, many of us were hoping for a real battle between him and and the top riders in the Giro. It's pretty obvious now that it won't happen, but I can't stop thinking about what a great entertainment it would have been, and what great drama we missed out on. Personally, this Giro is becoming a dud, a bust, or a fizzle. And btw there is still a small chance, very small, that this Giro will become exciting in the last week (one can always hope). So I only have one question: Can Remco compete in the 2022 Tour de France and maybe win it? Before you jump all over me for such a crazy question, and I know how far in the future I am talking about, I know how many ifs and what ifs must become visible to answer such a question, but let's say he acquires the descending skill and positioning ability within 9 to 12 months from now (if that's even possible), will he have such great odds to win it like the odds that were given to him by Las Vegas or the odds-makers? We must also wait to see what parcours the 2022 Tour will look like. I guess I am just trying to look into the future; it's what I do when I don't like the present. Sorry for the long message...and go Remco!!! And I think he has done a superb job in this Giro.

TRENDING THREADS