• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 349 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Yes...I guess Vlasov crashed just ahead of Remco and that's why Martinez took 2 seconds at the finish. I haven't seen any footage of it, so I'm not sure
JnzvxaG.png

If anyone wants to see the reason for the fall at the end, here is a video

Reactions: hayneplane
Really really interesting to see what will happen with Remco tomorrow. So far I have really enjoyed the way he raced this week. He had some tough moments on the steeper climbs, but on other parts he is such an attacking rider.

I think somehow tomorrow he will go down again trying to defend the first place in GC against better climbers. But hopefully he can manage to stay on for a long while to make it an exciting race. For me the big favorite is Martinez now. But interesting to see if Evenepoel can pull this one off.

Really really interesting to see what will happen with Remco tomorrow. So far I have really enjoyed the way he raced this week. He had some tough moments on the steeper climbs, but on other parts he is such an attacking rider.

I think somehow tomorrow he will go down again trying to defend the first place in GC against better climbers. But hopefully he can manage to stay on for a long while to make it an exciting race. For me the big favorite is Martinez now. But interesting to see if Evenepoel can pull this one off.
2 secs is crazy to defend. He needs to drop Martinez, but that is a tall order.

The weather will be a key factor tomorrow. It will likely rain and it will be significantly colder than today. Remco's 'feeling' in his legs has a high correlation with how he performed in the past and even in this race. I think he should attack prior to the last climb to have a chance of winning.

I think the Yellow Jersey Remco now wears in Itzulia is absolutely well deserved. It‘s a reward for the character he showed all week.

I already wrote him off a little bit, after Tirreno.

Since Monday, and especially today, he has been showing that he has the mind and body of a champion. I am very happy for him, and even wish him that he now podiums or even wins the overall there in Basque Country.

It would be another highlight on his palmares.