• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He also rode really smart today everytime he got dropped, a really good overall performance.
A slightly better team or somebody up the road who could do some pulls to close the gap faster might have made a big difference. Maybe not enough to beat Martinez in the end, but he could have salvaged his podium. Regardless, a better result than expected and definitely a much better effort/achievement than i expected.

Pogi knows he can win it on RaF, he won't follow moves on Redoute.
Pog also knows he can go from far, and if he joins Evenepoel he can beat him in the sprint while reading his newspaper, sipping a cup of tea, while making a phonecall to his mother.

The problem with Liege is

1) Being in the front on top of La Redoute. Sure he can be but they will probably do it at a less even pace that he likes

2) Everyone and their mother will know his wheel is the one to watch and be on. Especially as everyone should be equally eager to not go to the RaF with Pogacar.

Had the TT been the normal length for this race, Remco would have won

This is how Remco needs to ride. Full diesel. As I've said many times, he is an Ullrich clone
I think remains the same as the end of last year—we don’t know how he will fare in a GT with high mountain stages featuring multiple 2000m+ climbs. Especially in a 3rd week. We won’t know that till he performs in those. I understand people want to try to anticipate but on the other hand it’s ridiculous that folks (not at all just you) keep trying to extrapolate his possible GT future from these races. For the same reason I don’t see how you can call him an Ullrich clone when Ullrich was a monster-GT performer.

He loses 24 seconds on the stage that many said he would be crushed.

he finishes 4th in the hardest one-week stage race with more ramps above 10% than in most GTs.

only 7km TT. He likely would have won had it been even 15.

he was the most attacking rider throughout.

he was the only GC leader that set up a teammates sprint.

he had no team support in the most important stage and closed all the gaps himself.

I hardly think this race is a reason to give up stage racing and limit himself to one day races at age 22. Lol.

Last edited:
I think remains the same as the end of last year—we don’t know how he will fare in a GT with high mountain stages featuring multiple 2000m+ climbs. Especially in a 3rd week. We won’t know that till he performs in those. I understand people want to try to anticipate but on the other hand it’s ridiculous that folks (not at all just you) keep trying to extrapolate his possible GT future from these races. For the same reason I don’t see how you can call him an Ullrich clone when Ullrich was a monster-GT performer.

It's the style of riding. Even in 1997, Ullrich was dropped hard on AdH and struggled on Madeliene. Those were the 8% climbs. He crushed Arcalis and the Croix de Chaburet (sp), which were between 5.5-7.5%. Remco similarly, has had his success on the shallower grades, while gets dropped once the gradient approaches 10%

Last edited:
In case of Remco, the length (as in real mountains) seems to be a bigger factor than gradient.

Isn't the Ulrich comparison a bit off? Ulrich was a TT climber who was great in the high mountains.

Remco is not a climber. He is a time trialist who is also a great diesel in hilly and medium mountain terrain.

In case of Remco, the length (as in real mountains) seems to be a bigger factor than gradient.

Isn't the Ulrich comparison a bit off? Ulrich was a TT climber who was great in the high mountains.

Remco is not a climber. He is a time trialist who is also a great diesel in hilly and medium mountain terrain.

Remco was fine on long climbs in the first half of the Giro last year. Kept up fine with Bernal. They also were of the 6-8% variety

He faught like a lion, but alas it wasn't enough. In any case, it was an improvement from TA. I think it's still the tougher gradients he has difficulty dealing with, but at only 21 he should have a margin for improvement. And it's not like he was dropped by minutes today. So it is feasable he can bridge the gap with this mountains competition in the future. In addition, he seems to be carrying a couple of kilos in excess. Perhaps he just needed this power with 2 kilos less and he would have been there in the end.

Yeah, I think it is a bit off too.

He is more like a Thomas De Gendt, who tbf came close to winning a Giro. He just never had the interest to do what it takes to be a GC rider. He could climb, but maybe not as well as the best, TT and he could pull of some great rides. Solos and super-days.

Remco was fine on long climbs in the first half of the Giro last year. Kept up fine with Bernal. They also were of the 6-8% variety
I'm not impressed by a 4th place on the Piceno. Riders who I think are similar to him (Wellens, Benoot) have done the same thing on harder mountains.

My point is that he is nowhere near a real climber like Ulrich who had the ability to be good in the high altitude for over 3 weeks.

TRENDING THREADS