• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 353 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco needs to do the tour this year

May not be able to beat Pog, but he has a better chance there than the Vuelta.

More ITT kms, plus, some of the uphill finishes, especially the 2 Jura stages to Les Portes du Soleil and the stage to Les Gets are basically made for Remco. Nice shallow to moderate gradients, where he showed this week, he can drop Rog at least. Plenty of stages for him to make time at le Tour.

At la Vuelta, I expect Pog to crush him on the Muritos
But also a "Roubaix" cobbles stage. Where he could lose minutes.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Another problem is his team. While even the classics team is underperforming this year, the "stage" team is far too weak. Vervaeke, Vansevenant, Masnada, Serry, Devenyns, Cavagna..... they can speed up on less difficult climbs. But not in the final or on a difficult climb. Knox is too low a level, even on his terrain, the mountains. The only one who will be able to help Evenepoel in the future, in a final climb, is Van Wilder. Van Wilder can even become the leader in major stage races in a few years.

Another problem is his team. While even the classics team is underperforming this year, the "stage" team is far too weak. Vervaeke, Vansevenant, Masnada, Serry, Devenyns, Cavagna..... they can speed up on less difficult climbs. But not in the final or on a difficult climb. Knox is too low a level, even on his terrain, the mountains. The only one who will be able to help Evenepoel in the future, in a final climb, is Van Wilder. Van Wilder can even become the leader in major stage races in a few years.

When the team is not performing it becomes evidently clear how weak their squad as a whole is both when it comes to classics and the supporting cast for the stage-races, especially compared to a few other teams. Mainly because of a smaller budget. I guess some things gotta give if they want to be able to hold on to the likes of Alaphilippe, Asgreen, Remco, Jakobsen and so on . They have seemed to manage with their stars winning races and many of the other riders chipping in with wins as well, but many of them seems to be out of form right now. Lets see if they will be better in the Ardennes.

It's funny like that, I've had the same weight since I was 17 (under 140 lbs), with only brief periods above that. I'm unsure when exactly I stopped growing, I think either at 18 or 19. I think it's normal for most to have their weight creep upwards throughout their 20's, but professional athletes are of a different sort of course.
What are you doing with all these posts? Go to Southern France ASAP and start drilling it, Fuglsang is starting to getting old.

Cattaneo definitely should be able to help him on a final climb. An in form Masnada can last quite long as well, as we will see when he podiums the Giro.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
I dont really think Evenepoel is good enough right now to warrant a fully dedicated GC train. Those top domestiques are really expensive.
Doesn't have to be a fully dedicated GC train, but at least one or two guys who can help until the foot of the last climb. Vansevenant and Vervaeke are good enough for 2.pro stageraces, but not for GT's or WT 1 week races. I don't think Masnada is really good enough either for that. He might be good enough to hang on himself, but not to do any work himself at that point. Knox has turned into somewhat of a joke. For the moment it's down to Cattaneo and Van Wilder imho, but the latter has his own ambitions, so they'll have to balance his schedule so he can ride his own races as well.

Reactions: Red Rick
I dont really think Evenepoel is good enough right now to warrant a fully dedicated GC train. Those top domestiques are really expensive.

It is hard, right now, to see them changing the identity of the team and let go of their ambition to be a sprint/classics team. Especially when the classics are so centered around Belgium.

It will be interesting to see what they do because it looks they will have to rebuild their squad soon. They have a few older riders like Declerq, Stybar, Morkov, Devenyns, Serry, Steels, Keisse and Cavendish who may only have a season or two left before they retire or doesnt get renewed.

It will be interesting to see what they will do in the future with their squad but I guess the direction will fall a lot on what Remco does in the next 1-2 years in terms of results. If he develops further or if he stagnates somewhat. Still a bit early to know what the ceiling is with him. What type of races may or will suit him the best.

Reactions: Prim and Sandisfan
For the Grand Tours Remco and Van Wider should be the main priority for quickstep: I think they can both be very successful at it. Could they not have kept Uran Uran, or bring him back...for starters? And then just get some climbing domestiques, since they already have enough sprinters. Just thinking out loud....

It is hard, right now, to see them changing the identity of the team and let go of their ambition to be a sprint/classics team. Especially when the classics are so centered around Belgium.

It will be interesting to see what they do because it looks they will have to rebuild their squad soon. They have a few older riders like Declerq, Stybar, Morkov, Devenyns, Serry, Steels, Keisse and Cavendish who may only have a season or two left before they retire or doesnt get renewed.

It will be interesting to see what they will do in the future with their squad but I guess the direction will fall a lot on what Remco does in the next 1-2 years in terms of results. If he develops further or if he stagnates somewhat. Still a bit early to know what the ceiling is with him. What type of races may or will suit him the best.
Another factor for the team is simply that they don't have MvdP, WvA or - should he continue mixing in the cobbles - Pogacar, so they already risk being much more outgunned than ever in their own classics.

Then again, if I remember correctly, only Ineos and Jumbo had 2 guys on the front in the final stage in Baskenland.
It was pretty much a mano a mano type of fight and for the moment his climbing is not yet absolute top tier. Perhaps if he had a top domestique with him he could have podium'ed but a mere podium wouldn't justify the use of a top domestique like Kuss or Geoghen Hart.

His overall performance was inspirational though. Fighting hard, attacking, going all in and never giving up. Good race.

and not hurt his recovery or his vulnerability to illness.

i think he is actually 22 (February?). so just 22. but no matter. call this the Pog Effect. if you are not winning GTs at age 21 these days, then what good are you, lol!? imagine a different time when a 22-year-old did what Remco did just in Itzulia...? i'm not even talking about anything else he has done already. but fans would be going nuts about his potential in GTs.

but there has always been a group here that has suffered from RDS, Remco Derangement Syndrome. They appear to take great pleasure when he misses the mark and consistently change the goal posts. for Itzulia, they said he would never survive the queen stage, he would get crushed, ship minutes upon minutes. but when he loses only 24 seconds, he should give up stage racing...!? Huh, what!? it's a very odd fixation, but oh well...

did these same people know that G Thomas was going to win the TDF and finish second. When he was 22, did he climb with the best?

the other thing that no one has remarked is that he seemed to "strengthen" or at least "weaken less" over the course of the week. while he was dropped by at least a dozen or more riders on the steeper slopes on the first day, he came over the longest 10+% slope on the last day in much better place having dropped riders who had previously dropped him...

he also has clearly learned to pace himself better on climbs, though he has certainly not learned how to save energy during a race by limiting his attacks -- he attacked every single day, nuts, but damn exciting.

I still have doubts about the long climbs above 2000, simply because he has not done this competitively. but those climbs are not 10+%.

i also have major doubts about his team. if he ever gets in the leader's jersey, how does that team possibly defend it, without leaving him completely isolated in the mountains.

Opponents will know now that they have to drop him on the steep stuff, because if they do not wear him out, he is likely to take advantage of the first shallower gradient right after to demolish them.

i really do hope that being the top climber on 13+% slopes does not become a pre-requirement for GT success. That would mean that the bastardization of GT riding was complete.
Acute steepness is one thing, although it could be for 9ks, which he has to digest; another is 20 ks at 5-7-8 percent, and this has to do with motor, which he clearly has, but must still demonstrate. On the steep stuff and on the long grinds, the science of today can either get him to the position of watts per kilo or not. That is the big question. It boils down to what he has in him, like squeexing the orange.

Doesn't have to be a fully dedicated GC train, but at least one or two guys who can help until the foot of the last climb.
Knox has a 11th at Vuelta (2020) and a 14th at Giro (2019). Masnada a 2nd at Lombardia (2021) and a 9th at Giro (2020). Cattaneo was 12th at last years TdF (2021).

In theory thats really good enough. Just need to get it right form-wise.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ok, yeah. Masnada is a bit doubtful in sacrificing for a captain. But why wouldn't Knox be good again (I agree its not looking well at the moment)?
Knox never was as good as his best GT GC has you believe. He achieved that not by climbing consistently, but by going in long breaks and gaining back huge chunks of time that way, if i remember correctly. Furthermore he doesn't look like the climber who is going to pull Evenepoel across in the valley after having been distanced on the penultimate climb for instance. I think Knox is the kind of rider that would be lucky if he could hang in the wheel of his leader, in that case, maybe just good enough to give him a proteine bar or a bottle and that's about it. I believe a rider like Serry, though maybe not as much of a pure climber as Knox, could be a much bigger help in many stages.

On top of that, Knox hasn't looked like that rider for well over a year now.

Dunbar and Valter could be two good signings for Quickstep. Give them a bit of freedom in some races and have them as a domestique for Remco in other. Have Masnada, Van Wilder and Cattaneo in the same role with a bit more freedom for Van Wilder and then Remco is surrounded by a decent squad in most races.

Dunbar and Valter could be two good signings for Quickstep. Give them a bit of freedom in some races and have them as a domestique for Remco in other. Have Masnada, Van Wilder and Cattaneo in the same role with a bit more freedom for Van Wilder and then Remco is surrounded by a decent squad in most races.
I think a guy like Teuns could be a great signing for QS on all fronts. On his day, he can be a top 10 climber. Not consistent, but definitely a rider who has the volume/engine to go in a break, survive most mountains and strong enough of a solo rider to do some work in the valley before the final climb when necessary or even until the final climb and do some work. On top of that he would fit well within the classics team at QS as well. He can rider Flemish classics, Ardennes classics, and i still think he has potential in races like Strade Bianchi.

Reactions: ppanther92
I think a guy like Teuns could be a great signing for QS on all fronts. On his day, he can be a top 10 climber. Not consistent, but definitely a rider who has the volume/engine to go in a break, survive most mountains and strong enough of a solo rider to do some work in the valley before the final climb when necessary or even until the final climb and do some work. On top of that he would fit well within the classics team at QS as well. He can rider Flemish classics, Ardennes classics, and i still think he has potential in races like Strade Bianchi.
Suspect Teuns is too expensive for QS, especially considering if they sign him as a domestique that's probably also less opportunities for him.

Just noticed this: https://www.strava.com/activities/6955506454/segments/2947925773196294476

14 second difference. This year Krabelin came 45 minutes later in the race as well.

Suspect Teuns is too expensive for QS, especially considering if they sign him as a domestique that's probably also less opportunities for him.
Like i said, he'd be a part of their classics team as well, not as a domestique but as a co-leader in many (semi-)classics. Would have been their 2nd man in Flemish classics this year, could be a protected rider in Ardennes. Could do one GT as domestique and one GT as stage hunter. They could improve on many fronts and get rid of 2 riders for the money. I'd take Teuns over Knox+Sénéchal, and especially with Devenyns getting old. Fits like a glove.

Ok, yeah. Masnada is a bit doubtful in sacrificing for a captain. But why wouldn't Knox be good again (I agree its not looking well at the moment)?
Masnada seems much more open to work for Evenepoel than he was for Almeida in the Giro of 2020 though.

Another one from Bahrain whose contract expires and could be a good signing is Poels. He has the experience of being a mountain domestique and has a history with QS. Couple of years older than Teuns, but he has been quite good this year.

dumbest tactics that i think i have ever seen.

just so dumb.

to be the most energetic member of a break with 3 Ineos riders in it.

he should have been willing to let it fail as soon as he realized how outnumbered he was. why not sit on, immediately and let Ala and other teammates come back to the break? I kept thinking he must know that he is unbelievably strong and can drop this group later, but no... i mean, seriously, wtf was he thinking?

TRENDING THREADS