• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 374 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Sure but we don't have relaible kermesse records for older riders, and ultiamtely we can only compare across similar/same races.

Also, I would love to get a good valuation system to rate riders that does an excellent job of rating the value of a win.

I wsa jsut posting what appears to be the win totals in races that currently count as pro wins.
According to Cycling Archives Briek Schotte had 46 road victories (excluding criteriums).
Impanis also had 46.
Aerts had 37.
And Andre Dierickx had 78.

do we dare say that Remco would have won this Giro? I'm serious.

no. I don’t think so. Not yet.

unbelievable crappy race with mediocre contestants.

but I am one that still needs to see Remco climb well over several peaks in a day and over three weeks.

so…can he climb with the best?

Yes.

can he climb with the best over successive high mountains over three weeks?

not yet determined.

imo.

also he would be super isolated in the mountains. QS must invest in some climbing support.

however, I will say this. You put a 30 km ITT in the second week and that Torino stage and Remco has several minutes on the present podium going into the third week.

now Carapaz, Hindley and Landa need to really attack and cannot only match each other.

and even if Remco succumbs to these attacks and has a bad day. At least that’s drama!!

the giro has been UTTERLY devoid of drama and that is despite the fact that the top two are separated by 3 seconds!

GTs must return to being designed to suit more than one type of rider.

Last edited:
no. I don’t think so. Not yet.

unbelievable crappy race with mediocre contestants.

but I am one that still needs to see Remco climb well over several peaks in a day and over three weeks.

so…can him climb with the best?

Yes.

can he climb with the best over successive high mountains over three weeks?

not yet determined.

imo.

also he would be super isolated in the mountains. QS must invest in some climbing support.

however, I will say this. You put a 30 km ITT in the second week and that Torino stage and Remco has several minutes on the present podium going into the third week.

now Carapaz, Hindley and Landa need to really attack and cannot only match each other.

and even if Remco succumbs to these attacks and has a bad day. At least that’s drama!!

the giro has been UTTERLY devoid of drama and that is despite the fact that the top two are separated by 3 seconds!

GTs must return to being designed to suit more than one type of rider.

I think QS has built a future team of climbers for Remco. Mauri should be a valuable resource for him in the future and he's had a good Giro. Van Wilder will also be a good lieutenant going forward as well. However, yes I would agree that QS needs more climbing depth to assit Remco.

It will be interesting to see who else is put on the QS Vuelta team.

Reactions: Big Doopie
I think QS has built a future team of climbers for Remco. Mauri should be a valuable resource for him in the future and he's had a good Giro. Van Wilder will also be a good lieutenant going forward as well. However, yes I would agree that QS needs more climbing depth to assit Remco.

It will be interesting to see who else is put on the QS Vuelta team.
Mauri will be of use in hilly stages. Once the mountains come and Mauri is the one pacing you, chances are you are not going to be a GC contender.

A few months ago it was clear for this forum that he couldn't climb. Now he does this and people start speaking about winning Suisse and a top result at Vuelta.

to be fair, a few months ago there were those who were convinced (already?) that he couldn’t climb. Then there were those who hoped that his crash had not derailed his potential but started to have their doubts (like me). And there were those who stood fast in their faith (logic).

to me LBL and Norway puts him back on track with 2020 (in fact I would argue Itzulia was the start of that).

i don’t really think anyone (other than haters) can now say that he cannot climb.

however, to be fair, questions still remain regarding any succession of mountains and three weeks. Because we have never seen this version of Remco attempt that.

switzerland will tell us more.

and vuelta yet more.

Couldn't climb is a misrepresentation of "can't climb well enough to win a GT". There's a lot of good climbers who aren't good enough to win GTs. And I think that's in the air until he at least shows it in a WT stage race like Suisse or the Dauphine.

And yes, I realise in that sense Norway seems like an unfair test in that he has little to win and a lot to lose. But we'll see in Suisse.

to be fair, a few months ago there were those who were convinced (already?) that he couldn’t climb. Then there were those who hoped that his crash had not derailed his potential but started to have their doubts (like me). And there were those who stood fast in their faith (logic).
Because you let Vaughters mess with your head!

It had nothing to do with faith, but with common sense. After such a trajectory with his injury, the physical issue itself, the relapse, the rehab, lost winter... it was one bumpy road towards the Giro and the 2021 season as a whole. You could see he was simply not consistent throughout the season. The day most people took as proof he couldn't cut it, i saw as proof he just needed more time: Zoncolan. It's not uncommon for riders after a severe injury and long rehab to go through a period of inconsistency and need an extra season to get back to their best shape. There were enough signs that the class was still there.

The question remains, just like in 2020, if he can do it day after day for 3 weeks. But i think we are indeed back where we were then.

TRENDING THREADS