• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 380 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
It is a official win, of course. I think you are confusing the term kermiskoers "kermesse" race with a criterium. This last one is not a official race, but a showrace of only a few tens of kilometers. Often the winner is known before the start. But a kermiskoers is a normal race, on a local level. Mostly on a flat course. In stead of riding from A to Z, the cyclists ride a number of laps on the same circuit. Gullegem is the most famous of "kermesse" races.

Maybe not in a ''romantic'' way, but if he weren't charismatic at all, he wouldn't have nearly as many people not being able to stand him i think. Then people simply wouldn't care.

I think his character shines through in his way of riding. Always eager, never holding back, driven, impatient, brazen... those are not the traits of an uncharismatic rider.
Arguably the only riders more charismatic than Remco in recent times are Sagan, MVDP, Contador. De Gendt also worthy of a mention. By charisma I am firstly looking at a swashbuckling attacking way of racing and willingness to go no risk no glory. Personality is a secondary factor for me as someone like Wiggins actually has a god dry sense of humour but his riding style was not overly entertaining.

You have a lot of very good points, and I am a Remco fan, but he is anything but charismatic.

I think he ticks a lot of boxes on this list.

From the Oxford English Dictionary.

charisma
/kəˈrɪzmə/

compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.
"he has tremendous charisma and stage presence"
Similar:
charm
presence
aura
personality
force of personality
strength of character
individuality
magnetism
drawing power
attractiveness
appeal
allure
pull
magic
spell
mystique
glamour

a divinely conferred power or talent.

Last edited:
Yes, The Tour of Suisse is a major objective for Evenepoel at this time of the year. The Vuelta is his second major objective, later this season.

In that sense suisse is a major objective for every cyclist who does it as preparation for the tour.

For Remco it is to test his legs on climbs and see where he is before departing on altitude training. If it was a goal to win, he would have peaked towards it. Very similar objective as all the cyclist using it for tour preparation.

Imo unless you've already won the Tour or are a clear contender, going to TdS or Dauphine expressly to "test your legs" or "preparation" is pretty disrespectful, although I know many view it that way. Certainly Remco would like to win it, as will most of the peloton I suppose.

Just looked at the Vuelta parcours. That's a lot of really steep climbing. Good luck to him there, but I don't expect a ton.
Is there more steep climbing than is typical for the Vuelta? I don't think so.

Before the season began:

I think Pogačar makes a rather immense difference in expectations. I expect him to fight for the win in the Vuelta and to lose to Pogačar. I think most people hoped/expected him to fight for the win in the 2020 Giro but understood it was a wild card with his lack of prep. This field is shaping up to be a lot tougher.

Yes, I expect him to fight for second and I expect him to podium. I don't rule out any result for this guy with full prep.

I think no one is expecting him to win because of Pogačar, and that's a major difference from the Giro 2020. I think also a lot of folks saw him fade hard in that race and may have lesser expectations for him than they did previously. I disagree with that point of view, and think he has all the tools to do really well in a GT with the right prep. I'm excited to see what he can do, and still rule out nothing with this guy. He's kind of a nutter how much he believes in himself and how aggressively he takes racing. I love it. Can't wait.
Has he fared worse on steep climbs so far in this season than you expected, or why the change of heart?

Imo unless you've already won the Tour or are a clear contender, going to TdS or Dauphine expressly to "test your legs" or "preparation" is pretty disrespectful, although I know many view it that way. Certainly Remco would like to win it, as will most of the peloton I suppose.

Not being a major goal doesn't mean they don't want to win it. But the same is true for all those other contenders like you say. Of course you want to win in every race you participate, but having that drive doesn't mean that it was a major goal.

The same thing you see in the early classics, yes every favourite for rvv/pr will try to win that as well if they start, but its not like they peaked early to specifically win that race.

And this is the part of Remco, he will try to win it or fail trying. but that doesn't mean he 'peaked' for this race. Want to make it clear cut, because there is a difference in expectations and results depending on your intention/preparation state.

If we go for this is a major goal, him not winning or at least making a huge impression would be a huge let down and some will spell doom and gloom.
Making clear this is a preparation race sets the minds more that he is also not in his peak form/abilities and we shouldn't judge it as that as well.

I know, might be nitpicking, but tbh in this forum it is better to be clear as expectations can go really wild very fast :D

I love it that he continues to prove the naysayers wrong. Granted, he still needs to eat the grand tour pudding, but the way he picked up where he left off in 2020 is very promising. I wrote a blog post about it on kingoftheechelon.com. Let me know what you think of it.
If I'm not mistken Pogacar won his first Tour still aged 21 and turned 22 the following day.

Reactions: Big Doopie and KZD
i believe remco had two big peaks planned.

LBL (success)
Vuelta (tbd)

the difference between remco and a lot of other riders is that he is determined at least to try to win no matter what -- see TA and Itzulia (and even Valenciana) despite being a few kgs heavy, not having yet done an altitude training camp, and/or a route that did not favor him (Itzulia). Remco could have said firmly that Itzulia was simply a prep race for LBL (which it was) and he could have ridden it as such. Instead, he led out Ala in sprints and was the most determined rider attacking to expose Rog's weakness and then fighting to defend his lead despite the last stage not benefitting him. Again, all reasons to like him. (And btw, does anyone think he would lose any time in that last stage now...? LOL!)

That’s my impression too and it’s frustrating because I Read this thread to learn more about Remco but have to wade through aggrieved comments re: what other people are saying (or are suspected of saying or thinking) about Remco. Why not just let his riding do the talking and then talk about his riding?
Where's the fun in that?

It is a official win, of course. I think you are confusing the term kermiskoers "kermesse" race with a criterium. This last one is not a official race, but a showrace of only a few tens of kilometers. Often the winner is known before the start. But a kermiskoers is a normal race, on a local level. Mostly on a flat course. In stead of riding from A to Z, the cyclists ride a number of laps on the same circuit. Gullegem is the most famous of "kermesse" races.
It's a race but not a race with UCI points. So it depends what you define as a 'win'.

That’s my impression too and it’s frustrating because I Read this thread to learn more about Remco but have to wade through aggrieved comments re: what other people are saying (or are suspected of saying or thinking) about Remco. Why not just let his riding do the talking and then talk about his riding?

Because when he wins, he's the best thing since sliced bread and he becomes the favourite in any race he enters in the future. If he doesn't win, there's always an excuse.

Looking forward to seeing how he gets on in his next races. Good luck to him.

Is there more steep climbing than is typical for the Vuelta? I don't think so.

Before the season began:

Has he fared worse on steep climbs so far in this season than you expected, or why the change of heart?

Not sure how much of a change of heart we actually have here, if any. I don't expect him to win, I didn't then. I still would not bet against a podium for him–I think he'll compete for the podium. When I said "don't expect much" I meant don't expect a win.

That said, he did in fact struggle a bit this year in some short steep climbs, a bit more than I expected. I think it was in Tirreno. I had thought the "can't climb steeps" think was overblown a bit, but seems like it's a fair critique so far in his career. And I probably hadn't looked closely at the parcours in January. Amazed that you dug up that comment! But I don't feel much different about him now, and if anything, his recent performances make me a tiny bit more positive about where he can land. He seems to have the ability to address weaknesses as evidenced by his sprint win in Norway. That really surprised me.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In that sense suisse is a major objective for every cyclist who does it as preparation for the tour.

For Remco it is to test his legs on climbs and see where he is before departing on altitude training. If it was a goal to win, he would have peaked towards it. Very similar objective as all the cyclist using it for tour preparation.
As I wrote. The Tour of Suisse is a mayor objective AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR. But not the main objective this year. That is the Vuelta and was Liege concerning the one-day races. Evenepoel had his first peak during the Liege-Bastogne-Liege-period. After a week rest, and training again, he was still good in Norway. In Switzerland, it will be more difficult, because his formlevel will already go down. But Switzerland is a opportunity to test his climbing abilities in the high mountain, with still a good form. But no topform. So, I don't think he could compete for the win. Or he will come up short in every mountain stage. Or he will suffer a serious breakdown in a tough mountain stage. But that's no problem (unless for the many Evenepoel haters). Evenepoel is there to learn.

Reactions: Riek s
GC of Norway was the 30th victory he celebrated on IG, not Gullegem.
Maybe he celebrated his GC victory of Norway, in Gullegem?

eyebrwswjji1.gif

TRENDING THREADS