• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 428 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Looking at how skinny his upper body looked at Donostia I find it hard to belief that he's actually 63kg at 171cm.
I also have to agree with Red Rick that it would probably improve his recovery and his TT, not his power to weight ratio.
For someone like him 61kg shouldn't be so low that his power to weight ratio starts getting worse.
Let's wait and see how he does at the Vuelta, but right now I get the feeling that the team doesn't really know how to develop him into a gc rider...

I think they didn't know wtf happened at first and then scrambled for explanations as they went, and so the explanation changed as he gained weight again?

I think the super unprepared thing didn't make super much sense with his decent performances in the first week.

I also would expect the weight gain would improve his recovery and TT before it would improve his W/kg
Well I think his talent alone carried him through the first ten days, but his lack of base and depth, which only comes from proper prep and racing beforehand, ultimately did him in deeper in the race. This, more than his weight, to me was the critical issue. Thus I think the being super unprepared was actually the reason. At any rate, we'll know more later in the Vuelta.

Well I think his talent alone carried him through the first ten days, but his lack of base and depth, which only comes from proper prep and racing beforehand, ultimately did him in deeper in the race. This, more than his weight, to me was the critical issue. Thus I think the being super unprepared was actually the reason. At any rate, we'll know more later in the Vuelta.
Also, sending him to the Giro without having ridden in the bunch since his crash was really stupid. He often lost his position and had to waste lots of energy.

Was reading this article on him in la Gazzetta dello Sport this morning and, apart from misquoting his weight as 61 kg, at 1.71 m in the sidebar, which was his weight at last year's Giro (whereas it is stated correctly as 63 kg in the article), something occurred to me. Remco himself, following the line of thought of his trainer, maintains that his weight of 61 kg at last year's Giro came at the expense of power: "My preparation for the Vuelta has been completely different compared to the Giro. The power to weight relationship is better. In 2021 I weighed less, but I was missing the necessary power. Now my weight is a bit higher and I have it."

Ok, however, and this is my query, did he perhaps not have the sufficient power to weight ratio at last year's Giro, because, as he and everyone else knows, he was "robbed" of nine months after mid-August Lombardia and thus his preparation was simply rushed and woefully inadequite, as he hadn't even raced once since the accident, and not because his weight was too low?

In other words, much ado is being made about the actual weight issue, which is only a difference of 2 kg, and not about the dreadful circumstances that preceeded his GT debut last year. Frankly this is perplexing, as one would imagine that the lack of power experiencd at 2 kg less last year would be at the same weight overcome/compensated by adequite prep and another year's racing in the legs this time around. Unless at his present weight he gains massively in watts to kg ratio, it's difficult to image, again with the right prep and racing beforehand, he would not enjoy the watts of today at last year's Giro weight. But evidently, according to the line of thinking at QS, this is not the case.
The first problem is, is that he/they keep juggling weight numbers. The day before he started the Giro, he was below 60kg. Then the morning of the Giro, he was little over 60kg. Now, a year and a half late, he was 61 kg that day.

I think they didn't know wtf happened at first and then scrambled for explanations as they went, and so the explanation changed as he gained weight again?

I think the super unprepared thing didn't make super much sense with his decent performances in the first week.

I also would expect the weight gain would improve his recovery and TT before it would improve his W/kg
Why wouldn't it make sense? We saw the same happen with Van der Poel this year. Short prep during winter, leading up to his first moneytime races. Winning RVV, and the rest of the season so far very much below what we have come to expect from him, including his Giro which was nothing more but ''passable'' for his standards (whoever thinks that was prime Van der Poel is delusional). When you are missing base form, you can still have a peak, but it clips right after into an abyss.

Looking at how skinny his upper body looked at Donostia I find it hard to belief that he's actually 63kg at 171cm.
I also have to agree with Red Rick that it would probably improve his recovery and his TT, not his power to weight ratio.
For someone like him 61kg shouldn't be so low that his power to weight ratio starts getting worse.
Let's wait and see how he does at the Vuelta, but right now I get the feeling that the team doesn't really know how to develop him into a gc rider...
This is exactly what i have been saying for months.

Reactions: Extinction
Impressive result 14th, looked great near the front, but by the same merit wtf is he doing

Just roll in in 60th
Staying out of trouble?

Probably, but he still has to work on his defending. On stage 1 he ended up leaving too much space between him and the back four.
Yeah. That 1/2 second is gonna matter at the end of 3 weeks.

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I am relatively new to world of cycling so answer to this might seem obvious to some people but I was wondering, why is Remco considered for GC win ? Yes he has talent and has won a lot of races. But he only tried to go for Giro win and didn't even finish, now all of a sudden he is the favourite...there was no progressive improvement of his GC results that would indicate he will now dominate. Even Pogačar, Vinge or Roglič didn't win their first or second try at GT.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I am relatively new to world of cycling so answer to this might seem obvious to some people but I was wondering, why is Remco considered for GC win ? Yes he has talent and has won a lot of races. But he only tried to go for Giro win and didn't even finish, now all of a sudden he is the favourite...there was no progressive improvement of his GC results that would indicate he will now dominate. Even Pogačar, Vinge or Roglič didn't win their first or second try at GT.
I think if you read the previous several hundred pages of this thread you’ll get the full range of thoughts and opinions on that. Unless, of course, you’re asking just to fan the flames of discord even more?

personally, I don’t get trying to nail down whether a rider can do this or that when we’re about to see the result with our own eyes what the reality is. I understand that questions like whether prime Hinault would beat prime Contador or whomever can only be discussed or argued this way. But when we’re about to find out answers (barring mishaps) in the days ahead, I just like to let that anticipation soak in.

Pogacar won his second try and podiumed his first try. Vingegaard podiumed his second try iirc.

I think you will find almost everyone talking about Evenepoel's chances, that there are plenty of conditions that have to be met. If those conditions are met, and if he can overcome certain weaknesses, then yes he could even win this. He has shown on numerous occasions that he is an elite TT'er. He has shown on numerous occasions that he can pump out watts on climbs that would put you in GT-winning territory. He has shown on numerous occasions that on any day, he can be nearly unbeatable. He has shown on numerous occasions that he can beat the worlds best GC riders in 1 week races. However, he hasn't shown all those things consistently or put together over 3 weeks. So that's what we're going to find out. His team also hasn't shown they know how to handle a prep for 3 weeks of GC.

And even though he didn't finish the Giro, he did make it halfway through week 3. So this isn't his first GT and he has that experience. I know they already worked on some of the weaknesses he showed there. He already has an idea of what's coming, they worked on his positioning in the peloton and during chaotic moments (sprints) and have worked with a sports psychologist to help him overcome his fear in the descents.

Last edited:
Reactions: spalco and Andre
Because he is obviously not your ordinary young rider. I myself am sceptical about his GC ambitions in GTs but you have to look at him in an asymmetic payoff way - Gaudu is working his way up the GC ranks in a more or less steady fashion. He is your ordinary young GC hope. If they would have faced each other in a GT this year, I would have given Gaudu odds in his favour to finish in front of Evenepoel. But I know that he wouldn't come close to winning. With Evenepoel you just don't know.

He rode the Giro with hastened prep, after serious injury, without having even raced before. How is that any indication of his potential as a GC contender, and at 21 years-old for Chrissake? For all intents and purposes, this is his first GT (prep wise). Then you have to consider he only started cycling after football and then immediately conquered the juniores' category, turned pro and started winning right away. However, no under-23, no Tour d'Avenir, no Baby Giro, in other words, no parameter to judge GT potential. Yet he won Liege in practically annihilating fashion at 22 and, more recently likewise, San Sebastian on the eve of this Vuelta. You don't do that on meager talent, for which inevitably he is afforded a place amongst the favorites. And this time he shall perform up to expectations, bar incident. We don't know if that's good enough for the win, but he will be up there in GC.

Last edited:

I am becoming a bit tired of these 'Remco didn't finish the Giro arguments'. They are often written in a way that makes it seem like Remco OTLed a stage instead of crashing out which is something that can happen to anyone. And even while having blown up in Giau stage he was still on the path to do a top20 on GC which wouldn't have been bad for a first timer on a GT while having a suboptimal preparation.

He rode the Giro with hastened prep, after serious injury, without having even raced before. How is that any indication of his potential as a GC contender, and at 21 years-old for Chrissake? For all intents and purposes, this is his first GT (prep wise). Then you have to consider he only started cycling after football and then immediately conquered the juniores' category and turned pro and started winning right away. However, no under-23, no Tour d'Avenir, no Baby Giro, in other words, no parameter to judge GT potential. Yet he won Liege in practically annihilating fashion at 22 and, more recently likewise, San Sebastian on the eve of this Vuelta. You don't do that on meager talent, for which inevitably he is afforded a place amongst the favorites. And this time he shall perform up to expectations, bar incident. We don't know if that's good enough for the win, but he will be up there in GC.
Nobody is denying his talent, just the ability to race 21 consecutive GT stages. He still doesn't have that racing in his legs. Sure, Pogacar came third in his first GT but Nobody genuinely expected close to that.

I will be very, very surprised if Evenepoel finishes on the podium of this Vuelta, if he completes the race my prediction is 8-12 with a stage win or two.

Nobody is denying his talent, just the ability to race 21 consecutive GT stages. He still doesn't have that racing in his legs. Sure, Pogacar came third in his first GT but Nobody genuinely expected close to that.

I will be very, very surprised if Evenepoel finishes on the podium of this Vuelta, if he completes the race my prediction is 8-12 with a stage win or two.

The annoying thing is that when he then finishes on the podium, people who write stuff like this beforehand never acknowledge that they were wrong (apart from Ilmaestro and his LBL win) and instead just carry on and probably find other faults with him instead.

The guy is a pure bulldozer, there is absolutely no reason that he shouldn't be able to win this race.

TRENDING THREADS