• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 603 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
its possible. However, Rog seems to be at his best ever early season form already. I'm not 100% sure he can improve as much as Remco can
Lol...how did you come to this conclusion? It's quite the opposite really. Roglic has been this good or better in early season basically every year since 2018. On the other hand for Remco it's the first time he has been this good this early in the season. First time he's won a WT stage race in spring, first time he's been 2nd in a WT stage race in spring.

Having said that, it doesn't say much about their Giro form. I'm sure they'll both be in great shape. If I had to make a prediction I'd say Remco will gain time in the first two ITTs, but I expect Roglič to be better in the third week. Who'll come out victorious in the end? We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe Almeida spoils the R&R show.

I remember being ridiculed last year by another forum member because it was my opinion that he (Evenepoel, not the other forum member) needed to lose more weight, and that 63 which was said to be his target Vuelta weight was still too much. After the Vuelta it was revealed he actually lost considerably more weight than that and he lost 3 extra kg compared to his Liège weight, which was (according to him and the team) around 64kg. He also looked considerably skinnier during the Vuelta than Liège.

Anyway, i think he is now already skinnier than he was last year during Liège. So i have a hard time believing he is going to drop another 4kg. Two seems realistic, though Evenepoel himself is talking about "that last kilo".
So what do you think? Is he...The New Froome? :Do_O;)

Lol...how did you come to this conclusion? It's quite the opposite really. Roglic has been this good or better in early season basically every year since 2018. On the other hand for Remco it's the first time he has been this good this early in the season. First time he's won a WT stage race in spring, first time he's been 2nd in a WT stage race in spring.

Hmm very dubious claim giving the timeline of Remco and what WT he participated in. (or i"m reading more into it than you intended).

Joined in 2019 at 19year old.
Started the season 2020 with 2 victories early season (no WT since covid hit.) cycling started again in august --> (won WT stage race), then the crash happened.
in 2021 he didn't have an early season.
in 2022 his early season (e.g before LBL win.). he partipated in only 2 WT stage races. Tirreno didn't go well (11th but was very active and tried) Itulzia he was 4th (3minutes ahead of Roglic)
2023 is now.

So just want to point out that the lack of data doesn't mean its 'bad'. This is his second full early season (i'm excluding the early season he went from Junior to profs for obvious reasons). So yes, he never had a better start, but on the other hand its only the second time.. so don't know how much weight that statement has as such)

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Hmm very dubious claim giving the timeline of Remco and what WT he participated in. (or i"m reading more into it than you intended).

Joined in 2019 at 19year old.
Started the season 2020 with 2 victories early season (no WT since covid hit.) cycling started again in august --> (won WT stage race), then the crash happened.
in 2021 he didn't have an early season.
in 2022 his early season (e.g before LBL win.). he partipated in only 2 WT stage races. Tirreno didn't go well (11th but was very active and tried) Itulzia he was 4th (3minutes ahead of Roglic)
2023 is now.

So just want to point out that the lack of data doesn't mean its 'bad'. This is his second full early season (i'm excluding the early season he went from Junior to profs for obvious reasons). So yes, he never had a better start, but on the other hand its only the second time.. so don't know how much weight that statement has as such)
Yes, you are right. It's normal for Remco to improve from the past seasons. He is still young, he had that terrible crash in 2020, he finished a GT for the first time in his career last year, so his best ever start of the season should have been expected. And I think we should all agree that Remco has never been as good in March as he has been this season. He'll probably be even better in May.

But my answer was more directed to the statement of Roglic having the best ever early season form.
For example I can't remember when was the last time Roglič did a worse ITT than the one in T-A this season. So rest assured, he has still more room to grow.

Reactions: Riek s
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, you are right. It's normal for Remco to improve from the past seasons. He is still young, he had that terrible crash in 2020, he finished a GT for the first time in his career last year, so his best ever start of the season should have been expected. And I think we should all agree that Remco has never been as good in March as he has been this season. He'll probably be even better in May.

But my answer was more directed to the statement of Roglic having the best ever early season form.
For example I can't remember when was the last time Roglič did a worse ITT than the one in T-A this season. So rest assured, he has still more room to grow.

Rog in past years wasn't winning multiple WT stage races. He struggled at PN last year and got mauled at Pais Vasco. It's a much different Rog this year

Let me get this straight.

Evenepoel won Liege, Worlds and Vuelta in one year, but he's still not back to his level of when he was winning much higher level races like Pologne or Burgos?
Performance level in terms of the way his level was trending post Covid break yes I think he was absolutely flying back then and Burgos especially had a stacked field due it being the first major event of the resumed season and he crushed everyone in both Burgos and Poland.

He looked like he was floating up the Sormano in Lombardia and had he stayed on his bike victory seemed inevitable. He would have been very hot favourite for the Giro but obviously we can’t just say he would have won it.

It’s that expected development that I think people are mainly referencing in saying he is back to his pre crush level as in that his potential is now clearly that he can be the rider we thought he was going to be had the crash not happened.

Performance level in terms of the way his level was trending post Covid break yes I think he was absolutely flying back then and Burgos especially had a stacked field due it being the first major event of the resumed season and he crushed everyone in both Burgos and Poland.

He looked like he was floating up the Sormano in Lombardia and had he stayed on his bike victory seemed inevitable. He would have been very hot favourite for the Giro but obviously we can’t just say he would have won it.

It’s that expected development that I think people are mainly referencing in saying he is back to his pre crush level as in that his potential is now clearly that he can be the rider we thought he was going to be had the crash not happened.

So he didn't crush the opposition in Liège or Wollongong last year, or how am I to understand this?

So he didn't crush the opposition in Liège or Wollongong last year, or how am I to understand this?
We didn’t see him fully complete his big goals (Lombardia/Giro) in that form curve so can’t directly compare but I would say that yes the Liege and Worlds efforts were very much in the ballpark of where his 2020 peak shape was likely to be but imo just a fraction below 2020 though this is subjective.

What is 2020 form based on? Just looking good in Lombardia? Because Evenepoel is the guy you'd expect to just attack Sormano if he's confident he can drop everyone there.

And the first races post-lockdown were super weird in general. Loads of riders were absolutely nowhere, and the overall level of riders needed to correct itself.

Reactions: yaco
The big thing, however, is that the crash stunted his growth curve. Without it he'd already have done the Giro in 2020, then another GT properly prepared in 2021 (Tour? Vuelta?) and thus he definitely would have been riding the Tour this year. At any rate, last season was a demonstration that his trajectory is back on track. If he meets his objectives in the upcoming Giro, expectations more or less align with those before the Lombardia fall off the bridge.

Reactions: red_flanders
The big thing, however, is that the crash stunted his growth curve. Without it he'd already have done the Giro in 2020, then another GT properly prepared in 2021 (Tour? Vuelta?) and thus he definitely would have been riding the Tour this year. At any rate, last season was a demonstration that his trajectory is back on track. If he meets his objectives in the upcoming Giro, expectations more or less align with those before the Lombardia fall off the bridge.
Keyword being expectations.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya

Exactly

He got beaten by Sosa in the final MTF in Burgos and perhaps if there wasn't crosswinds on the day of the first MTF he'd have lost there as well. Objectively, his level there was not even remotely close to nowadays and even accounting for the massive improvements we've seen across the board over the last couple years, Blanco wasn't a great performance.

The only thing you can't be sure of is if he is now at the level he could have been at this moment in time, had he never crashed in Lombardia. Expectations for him might have been higher, since everything seemed to go his way and everything he tried, he was successful at. Where as now people are more sceptical because since (/due to?) his crash, he has had some failures. So expectations have been kept more in check. Before Pogacar lost the Tour and imploded on two stages, he was also deemed invincible.

But saying he is not at his precrash level is obviously absurd. In 2020 Algarve he won the TT with 10 or 20 seconds on Dennis and Küng. Last year he won the TT in Algarve on the same course (few km longer though) with a cool minute ahead of Küng. His solo in Poland was impressive, but how does that compare to the WCC and Liège? Burgos was great, but Pico Jano and Les Praeres were a level or two above. Etc.

Reactions: LucVdB
Good point. We need alignment.

Reactions: Extinction

TRENDING THREADS