• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 604 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Well what Bruyneel first said is that Remco is 4kg above his lowest ever weight. I think this may actually be true but we need to bear in mind that allegedly his lowest ever weight was around 60kg in the Giro 2021 while in the Vuelta last year he was 63kg or just a bit lower so if his Vuelta weight is the target he won't shed more than 1-2kg.
I just listened to this podcast, and Bruyneel is talking about 4kg compared to the Vuelta, not "lowest ever/Giro". Which would be further evidence that he was weighing significantly less than the 63kg they claimed to be targeting.

Isn't there a tumb rule saying 0,5 kg per week is doable for cyclists without a big risk for energy deficit? So dropping about 2 kg before Giro start should be within reach, 4 kg sounds very unrealistic.
He can also lose weight during the Giro. I think he doesn't need to lose that much in the next month. Just fine tuning. He's doing the same schedule prior to the Vuelta, so I'm assuming they know what still needs to happen. He's always good after altitude camps, I'm not worried. He's on the right track, no crashes, no sickness. Looking forward.

Reactions: Sandisfan
We can all fantasize about that, but 4kg before the Giro isn't going to happen. Even if it would physically be possible to drop 4kg, it will come at a huge cost to try and do that in month and a bit.
Like i said two posts above yours, it was 4kg from his Vuelta weight, not his Giro weight.

I think he could realistically lose 2kg before the Giro, and as Didinho said, it's possible that they plan on losing a bit more by the last week of the Giro. (Though i'm not convinced losing weight during a GT is something to strive for, Dumoulin actually gained a bit of weight during the Giro he won).
It is also possible the 4kg claim was made either a while ago, or was a situation of a while ago which Bruyneel only heard about recently. Maybe at this moment, it's only 3kg. Maybe the claim was exaggerated and 3.1 kg became "more than three" which became "between 3 and 4" which became "almost 4" which became 4. Who knows.

Last edited:
Like i said two posts above yours, it was 4kg from his Vuelta weight, not his Giro weight.

I think he could realistically lose 2kg before the Giro, and as Didinho said, it's possible that they plan on losing a bit more by the last week of the Giro. (Though i'm not convinced losing weight during a GT is something to strive for, Dumoulin actually gained a bit of weight during the Giro he won).
It is also possible the 4kg claim was made either a while ago, or was a situation of a while ago which Bruyneel only heard about recently. Maybe at this moment, it's only 3kg. Maybe the claim was exaggerated and 3.1 kg became "more than three" which became "between 3 and 4" which became "almost 4" which became 4. Who knows.

I agree, but I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was referring to losing weight before this Giro. (not in relation to a previous weight in a race).

I agree, but I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was referring to losing weight before this Giro. (not in relation to a previous weight in a race).
Oops, yes, i misread and assumed you meant like the 2021 Giro. I agree 4kg is not going to be happening, but i doubt he is still 4kg below his Vuelta weight (just speculating). I can't imagine them thinking it is a good idea to start a Giro with more climbing significantly heavier than the Vuelta he won. Unless they completely mistimed it all.

Agreed, judging by his looks (compared to the Vuelta) he can realistically lose 2-3 kg by the 3rd week of the Giro. As for losing weight during a 3 week race it probably depends on what is one's weight at it's start - if it's above what is regarded one's optimal weight then losing it should be ok, if it's already optimal then further mass reduction may be detrimental.

Oops, yes, i misread and assumed you meant like the 2021 Giro. I agree 4kg is not going to be happening, but i doubt he is still 4kg below his Vuelta weight (just speculating). I can't imagine them thinking it is a good idea to start a Giro with more climbing significantly heavier than the Vuelta he won. Unless they completely mistimed it all.

Unless the extra kilo is to provide additional power for the 2 early race TTs. 54.6km of flat ITT over the first 9 stages