• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 605 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
It seems like it was an admin who didn't understand that he wasn't accusing Van Aert for doping but implying that the French people might be glad that Gaudu could beat a "doped Van Aert", as in, the masses thinking well-performing riders are all doping, as long as it's not riders from their own country. I thought it was pretty clear what he meant but apparently not.

He wrote to me on Twitter with a screenshot of the post that has since been deleted.

It seems like it was an admin who didn't understand that he wasn't accusing Van Aert for doping but implying that the French people might be glad that Gaudu could beat a "doped Van Aert", as in, the masses thinking well-performing riders are all doping, as long as it's not riders from their own country. I thought it was pretty clear what he meant but apparently not.

He wrote to me on Twitter with a screenshot of the post that has since been deleted.

Well that sucks. I will will understand if it's a one day ban at most, but even that seems harsh.
PS: Also I know we're being off topic, as this belongs in the Moderation thread:

hopefully they clear up the misunderstanding....

Evenepole and Masnada get along very well but logic always trying to wind me up by poking fun at Fausto
He is always jealous of you, because he knows masnada already did a top 10 in the giro, and he took pogacar to his limits at il lombardia 2021.
Evenepole never been able to do that.

He can't recognize greatness. Fausto masnada is synonym of greatness.

He is always jealous of you, because he knows masnada already did a top 10 in the giro, and he took pogacar to his limits at il lombardia 2021.
Evenepole never been able to do that.

He can't recognize greatness. Fausto masnada is synonym of greatness.
Very good post. And remember that Fausto actually worked for Recmo and Julian in that lombardia, and they couldn't finish the job so fausto then had to attack himself. Maybe if he was chosen as leader he would be a monument winner. He had no fear in the presence of pogacar, he even worked with him a little bit to keep the gap to the chasers so that they could race mano a mano, even thought is not the best tactics

Fausto a very gracious guy who has no problems to sacrifice personal chances if it's best for the team. It annoys me that people criticise him for going in breakaways when he's working for evendepoel, it's a good tactic to race aggressively and give the team more options. He will be useful for creating a bit of chaos when they are trying to beat Roglic in the giro

Lefevere saying Evenepoel will do De Ronde "One day".

Weird phrasing tbh. With Sanremo they were more specific saying it was likely next year.

I think he could do a similar schedule to Pog and do TA/PN and then Sanremo, Ronde and Liege.
I think his goal is to do the big 8. (5 monuments + 3 GTs) or big 12 (5 mounments + 3GTs+ WC ITT, WC RR, Oly ITT, Oly RR), which is wildy ambitious but he and Pogacar are the only two that look to have the ability to do it currently.

I think RVV will pop up a few years down the road like Lefevre said. Roubaix will also run by Remco but in 2025/2026 IMO.

I think his goal is to do the big 8. (5 monuments + 3 GTs) or big 12 (5 mounments + 3GTs+ WC ITT, WC RR, Oly ITT, Oly RR), which is wildy ambitious but he and Pogacar are the only two that look to have the ability to do it currently.

I think RVV will pop up a few years down the road like Lefevre said. Roubaix will also run by Remco but in 2025/2026 IMO.
Evenepoel hates Roubaix though, but it's been a while since he said anything about it.

RvV is his home monument, and it still fits easily in a TdF centric GC season, it shouldn't really require bulking up or anything weird.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

he thinks admins can't read too? maybe only Belgian guys are

Evenepoel hates Roubaix though, but it's been a while since he said anything about it.

RvV is his home monument, and it still fits easily in a TdF centric GC season, it shouldn't really require bulking up or anything weird.
Wilfried Peeters says in Het Nieuwsblad that Remco won't say no to a RvV participation. So I conclude that it is part of his bucketlist. I can imagine that for a first TdF they do want to manage risk a bit and let him start 2025 earliest. The weather, the cobbles and the incredible atmosphere of more than a million people firing you up along the route make it a risky day.

We can all fantasize about that, but 4kg before the Giro isn't going to happen. Even if it would physically be possible to drop 4kg, it will come at a huge cost to try and do that in month and a bit.
Totally. You'd hope the natural demands of a 3 week race would get him appropriately lighter when it would aid in week 3. Attempting to lose that weight could also affect TT power as others have noted. Starting the Giro with less power is not a good plan as the courses can be demanding enough.

TRENDING THREADS