• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1029 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think he will go absolutely nuts on Friday in an all out effort to go for yellow.
agreed. because he is a competitor.

however, hard to imagine anyone taking 46 seconds out of this Pog.

Pog at last year's worlds TT, sure -- I think he beat him by 3 minutes or so -- but much longer, flatter course and Pog was at the absolute end of a TDF and Worlds that he had prioritized.

Yes, exactly. It's also in the back of my head. He basically lost 1kg per week, which is likely not ideal when it comes to recovery. I am not sure how losing muscle weight factors in, as i think he lost both muscle as well as fat. Maybe if he only lost roughly 1kg of fat in total (and 1.5kg muscle) since Dauphiné, the risk isn't that big?

But i hope it's clear to everybody now, that when he gets his weight down, he is an actual contender. Like i've always said.
sure he is, still waiting for that time that he will beat pogacar; will NEVER happen

sure he is, still waiting for that time that he will beat pogacar; will NEVER happen
200w.gif

sure Tour; as a Pog fan I dont see Remco as a threat, he will lose a lot of time on at least one climb, will be top 10 in the end.
First part fair, he’s not a threat to Pogi. Only Vingo and MVDP are, depending on the race and whether it’s a A race for them.

The second part…sounds like maybe you’re not adjusting your opinion to current facts? Hard to see assessing Remco as top 10. Right now he looks like the 3rd strongest in the race and could well win the TT.

Reactions: slim charles
I know he ended up being out-punched near the top and then put in his place on the descent, but my God, he looked like he was absolutely floating on the Galibier.

I was skeptical as to his form when I heard he had shipped 2.5 kgs since the Dauphiné because I don't think it's particularly performance boosting to be energy deficient for lengthy periods of times just before a competition, but so far it seems to have worked for him.

But why was he Fatco at the Dauphiné? It seems to have deteriorated into a meme but I assume there must be a reason? Is it just incompetence on his trainer's part?

Reactions: Lui98
I know he ended up being out-punched near the top and then put in his place on the descent, but my God, he looked like he was absolutely floating on the Galibier.

I was skeptical as to his form when I heard he had shipped 2.5 kgs since the Dauphiné because I don't think it's particularly performance boosting to be energy deficient for lengthy periods of times just before a competition, but so far it seems to have worked for him.

But why was he Fatco at the Dauphiné? It seems to have deteriorated into a meme but I assume there must be a reason? Is it just incompetence on his trainer's part?
The crash in Itzulia. He was off the bike 3 weeks and puts on weight like a champ. And he did specific exercise for his shoulder (and maybe collarbone) to strengthen the muscles in that area.

Reactions: tobydawq
His descending was not very good but in the end he only loses 18s to Pogacar from the top to the finish. There have been GC riders who lost minutes on descends.

But it is one of the other issues the team was supposed to address 3 yeas ago. They were going to have him do some training on cornering at high speeds with a MotoGP friend of Cavendish (when they were still team mates). Never happened. But since Evenepoel descends "well" on training, they assume he will do the same when riding 20kmh faster for GC in the biggest race of all and the issue got solved by itself.
Didn´t he do some descent training with Alaphilippe?