• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1081 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
if he wins the gold tomorrow, I wish he'd skip the RR and go to the Vuelta instead. Spend a couple weeks at altitude

come down from altitude win the vuelta and sweep the worlds
I'd like to see it. Not sure a week's difference is going to be deterministic with regard to those potential goals. I think with the late TdF peak (which I believe is how he timed it), it might be tough either way. Unless he's found out how to do a Pogi year-long peak. Then you can do anything.

Crappy roads for the Olympic TT. Remco is unhappy the road has holes in it.

« Des routes de merde » pourraient venir lui gâcher la fête. Le champion du monde Remco Evenepoel, qui fera partie samedi des favoris du contre-la-montre de 32,4 kilomètres tracé entre les Invalides et le Pont Alexandre-III, a regretté la qualité des chaussées parisiennes.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Remco Evenepoel's performance in the Tour de France was impressive, especially considering it was his debut. His third-place finish and white jersey for best young rider demonstrate his immense potential and growth as a Grand Tour contender.

However, he still has some way to go before he can consistently challenge Tadej Pogacar at the highest level. Pogacar's dominance in recent years, with multiple Grand Tour victories and numerous other accolades, has been extraordinary. Comparisons to Eddy Merckx, while perhaps premature, highlight the level of talent and potential we're seeing in the young Slovenian.

Evenepoel is still very young and has ample time to develop and improve. He's already shown that he can compete with the best in the world, and with continued growth and experience, he could very well become a serious contender for Grand Tour victories in the future.

The rivalry between Pogacar and Evenepoel has the potential to be one of the most exciting in cycling history. It will be fascinating to watch their careers unfold and see how they push each other to new heights. But he has to be able to beat Jonas Vingegaard first! so I suggest he is still a rather a long way from being described as the New Eddie Merckx.

Reactions: Wvv and James M
Remco Evenepoel's performance in the Tour de France was impressive, especially considering it was his debut. His third-place finish and white jersey for best young rider demonstrate his immense potential and growth as a Grand Tour contender.

However, he still has some way to go before he can consistently challenge Tadej Pogacar at the highest level. Pogacar's dominance in recent years, with multiple Grand Tour victories and numerous other accolades, has been extraordinary. Comparisons to Eddy Merckx, while perhaps premature, highlight the level of talent and potential we're seeing in the young Slovenian.

Evenepoel is still very young and has ample time to develop and improve. He's already shown that he can compete with the best in the world, and with continued growth and experience, he could very well become a serious contender for Grand Tour victories in the future.

The rivalry between Pogacar and Evenepoel has the potential to be one of the most exciting in cycling history. It will be fascinating to watch their careers unfold and see how they push each other to new heights. But he has to be able to beat Jonas Vingegaard first! so I suggest he is still a rather a long way from being described as the New Eddie Merckx.
Did you use ChatGPT to write this?

Breaking news: the revised Tour de France classification after they removed two aliens (whose DNA could not be confirmed to be human). It turns out Remco has won the TdF with 10 minutes advantage!

(the largest winning difference since 1984 and on par with Eddy Merckx' victories, so he has finally proven he is indeed the next Eddy Merckx)

juziXQk.png

Breaking news: the revised Tour de France classification after they removed two aliens (whose DNA could not be confirmed to be human). It turns out Remco has won the TdF with 10 minutes advantage!

(the largest winning difference since 1984 and on par with Eddy Merckx' victories, so he has finally proven he is indeed the next Eddy Merckx)

juziXQk.png

Show me the rule stating that only humans are allowed in the Tour.

juziXQk.png
I love how you made it look so official.

juziXQk.png
Finally Landa has his deserved podium

No chance to win today

Cornering is going to be far too important with the rains
Even the best on a technical parcours need to take those corners very slowly. You can't win this TT in the corners imho (there is simply too few of them), but you can lose it in the corners if you crash. The rest of the parcours suits him, but the biggest question mark (unless he crashes) will be how fresh he is a week after the TDF.