The Shlecks and doping

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
McLovin said:
“It’s their decision, but a guy like Bobby Julich, who admitted to using EPO but changed his attitude afterwards, should not be disowned. I know him for a long time. At Saxo Bank, he helped me a lot and he was one of the cleanest on the team. "

Pure gold Andy. He should put a stamp on everyone, beginning with Riis.
I really doubt he said that, or was lost in translation for that matter.

From Velonation
"It's their decision, but a guy like Bobby Julich, who admitted to taking EPO but then changed his attitude should not be punished,” said Schleck. “I've known him a long time. In Saxo Bank, he helped me a lot and was one of the most honest. Everyone deserves a second chance."

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13626/Andy-Schleck-The-Tour-is-still-a-long-way-away-Ill-do-my-best-but-Im-not-favourite.aspx#ixzz2H796G5ie
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Ride to forget said:
Even the Velonation version is hardly a glowing endorsement of anyone at Saxo, Andy included.
Why would you expect a glowing endorsement of a Riis team?
 
Dazed and Confused said:
well he doesn't. Seems to say Julich, a proven EPO and blood doper, was the cleanest on the team.
It would be good if someone could source the original interview. No way has he described Julich as the cleanest and I would be very interested to know what he really said about why Wiggins will win the Giro due to his 'character'. Which has obviously been misinterpreted also.
 
thehog said:
A Belgian source which has quoted Le Monde's article.

"C'est leur décision, mais un gars comme Bobby Julich, qui avait admis avoir pris de l'EPO mais qui a ensuite changé d'attitude, ne devrait pas être répudié. Je le connais depuis très longtemps. Chez Saxo Bank, il m'a beaucoup aidé et il était l'un des plus propres de l'équipe. Tout le monde a droit à une seconde chance."

http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_andy-schleck-nous-ne-pouvons-pas-faire-plus-contre-le-dopage?id=7902318
 
cineteq said:
A Belgian source which has quoted Le Monde's article.

"C'est leur décision, mais un gars comme Bobby Julich, qui avait admis avoir pris de l'EPO mais qui a ensuite changé d'attitude, ne devrait pas être répudié. Je le connais depuis très longtemps. Chez Saxo Bank, il m'a beaucoup aidé et il était l'un des plus propres de l'équipe. Tout le monde a droit à une seconde chance."

http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_andy-schleck-nous-ne-pouvons-pas-faire-plus-contre-le-dopage?id=7902318
il can refer to both the rider as well as the team IIRC
 
Sep 3, 2012
40
0
0
Benotti69 said:
Why would you expect a glowing endorsement of a Riis team?
I wouldn't.

I was just saying that even the VN translation makes Andy's inept attempt to defend Julich sound like it has backfired in characteristic Schleck fashion.
 
Netserk said:
il can refer to both the rider as well as the team IIRC
Not here. I'm a native French speaker and "il était l'un des plus propres de l'équipe" exactly means "he was one of the cleanest of the team". This is a pretty straightforward translation.
 
cineteq said:
A Belgian source which has quoted Le Monde's article.

"C'est leur décision, mais un gars comme Bobby Julich, qui avait admis avoir pris de l'EPO mais qui a ensuite changé d'attitude, ne devrait pas être répudié. Je le connais depuis très longtemps. Chez Saxo Bank, il m'a beaucoup aidé et il était l'un des plus propres de l'équipe. Tout le monde a droit à une seconde chance."

http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_andy-schleck-nous-ne-pouvons-pas-faire-plus-contre-le-dopage?id=7902318
Propre, I think, does not necessarily have to mean "clean".
 
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Man, I thought it was a mistranslation, but if Schleck actually said that... damn. Much props to him for speaking out, no matter how dirty he is now.
I hope he was speaking out, otherwise he's really dumb. Of course, I'm assuming Le Monde has quoted him correctly and RTBF copied/pasted what Le Monde printed
 
cineteq said:
I hope he was speaking out, otherwise he's really dumb. Of course, I'm assuming Le Monde has quoted him correctly and RTBF copied/pasted what Le Monde printed
Indeed. Add to this that, being from Luxembourg, Schleck isn't a native French speaker, even though he speaks French pretty well.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY