• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Unipublic way

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Completely agree with hrotha Eshnar and co on the Vuelta.

It's designed for 5' of excitement, nothing more. Short stages, few, if any difficulties before the end, basically guaranteeing that nothing will ever happen in the GC before the last few kilometers. Make it as easy to control as possible, as unattractive as possible to try something early. All for the last kms! Be it the sprints, the ramps, and even 2 of the MTF, Cuitu Negru and Bola del Mundo, make sure it's in the last 2 or so km that everything happens. Unless Valverde crashes of course.
Ok, we had 2 succesful escapes now, kind of surprising, before the Vuelta I predicted 0, with 2 possible... yesterday, which in the end turned out to end with an escape. And that strange thing next week, the easy long "mountain finish". We already had 2 now, Valdezcaray, didn't expect that. Next stages? Of the mountain stages today the best chance IMO, but won't happen. So... most of the time, just 5' of excitement at the end, don't bother with anything before that.

And that's not what a GT should be about.
It's like if you change an athletics meeting . No more 5000 meters, no more 800 meters etc. let's just have 10 100 meter races.

A good GT should have bit of everything, long stages, short stages, easy sprints, harder sprints, stages for classic riders, (stages, not just the finish like in Barcelona), single climbs, multiple climb stages, maybe a downhill finish, maybe a finish with 10 km flat after a downhill, ramps.. ok, I'm getting a bit tired of the 'rampism' lately, Some are great, Mur de Huy, San Luca in Emilia. Now, we have ramps in the TdF too, there at least it's kind of understandable, no more bonifications, so to keep the fight for yellow in the first days open, ok, put in 2 ramps per year... I'd rather have a hard classic stage.... but obviously Prudhomme is afraid that, then differences would be too big, no more excitement.. fake excitement really, but ok. Ramps ok, but that many and everywhere?but the Vuelta too, ramps ramps ramps.. .ok, let's have one, why not.

But of course the riders make the race as well.. Yesterday was a nice example, Degenkolb too dominating, his team too weak, no sprint. With a less dominating Degenkolb yesterday would have been a sprint too IMO. (BTW, can't understand why most of the top sprinters didn't start here... best GT for sprinters in a while, x straight forward sprints, no hard mountain stages with a big fight to stay inside the timelimit) BUT, the riders make the race according to the route as well. Here, there is 0 possibility for a GC rider to ever try something early. Either it's a single ramp/mtf, or the last mountain is clearly the hardest, so it's assured that nobody goes on a suicide mission, since that's what it would be on the Bola del Mundo and Cuitu Negru stage.

Agree less on the criticism of the TdF. The route was good IMO, generally Prudhomme is doing a good job anyway, just think back to Leblanc. This year a bit much TT, 10-20 KM less had been ok, but the route gave the riders the possibility to try something. In the end... nothing happened almost. The 'culprits': Sky, jsut to strong. Knees/EBH and even more so Porte and Rogers just controlled the whole thing too well. It could have been only 20 km of TT and nothing would have changed, SKY was just to strong. Similarly the Giro, the route while far from perfect, too backloaded mostly, did allow attacks, but Liquigas with a strong team and Basso that finally was too confident controlled to well. Can happen, you could have the perfect course and a boring GT, if one team is just too strong. But in this Vuelta you don't even need a strong team, average will do. You could say that's good, so really the strongest wins, ok. And it wouldn't really have taken much to improve on this route. Like the last days, in Galicia of all places they managed to make 2 stages along the coast, mostly flat. Just head to the interior and you can't find a flat meter... Here you have a real stage that is hard to control, that gives good chances for an escape, that if it's hard enough (but without an all deciding ramp at the end) can allow a GC attack. Most of the time then it doesn't happen, but sometimes it does, Simoni Faenza for example. But if you don't offer the possibility it will never happen.

So... my vote for the route would still be a 1, worst thing I've ever seen.

Excitement, spectacle? 7 so far, it's been fun to see those 5 minutes per day. It's close, 4 guys in it for the win. Depending on how it goes from now my vote can even go up more... but down too of course... it risks being decided after the next 3 stages... the last week doesn't really promise much except Bola del Mundo (which is the same as Cuitu Nigru, couldn't they just have had one this year, one next?)

Dude just wrote a bible to say parcours is overrated and we had right about how it is the riders (rather then the parcours) who brings the fun. Of course with a little help of some thoughtful route design. I love you guys. Priceless. :)

No_Balls said:
Dude just wrote a bible to say parcours is overrated and we had right about how it is the riders (rather then the parcours) who brings the fun. Of course with a little help of some thoughtful route design. I love you guys. Priceless. :)
Is it so hard to get we are talking about chances? Of course parcours aren't ALL what matters to have entertainment, but do are a part of the problem. There are riders, weather... tarmac... chaos... Everything is involved. But parcours are too. This Vuelta could turn out to be good (as for now, it isn't) despite the bad parcour, but the parcour itself decrease the chance for that to happen. That's all.

To me the most depressing part is how race organizers seem to use a lot of effort to design routes that make as small gaps as possible. And often it's times where the stage easily could be made, so there actually would be a chance for GC action on more than one place on the stage. A good example of this is the all hated Tour '09, where the stage to Verbier was the last before a rest day, and could easily have been beefed up. I mean what's wrong with making a mountain 1-2, and climbed one of Col du Lein or Col de Planches just before Verbier? :confused::mad:

In the end despite the easy stage, the race was decided on that mountain, so there really couldn't have been any losses in giving an extra mountain to attack on. :eek:

Eshnar said:
Of course parcours aren't ALL what matters to have entertainment, but do are a part of the problem. There are riders, weather... tarmac... chaos... Everything is involved.
I don't think anybody would disagree with this statement. Add other factors like SRM meters, radios, WT points that need to be changed or regulated and we'll have a better chance to have a race.

Eshnar said:
This Vuelta could turn out to be good (as for now, it isn't) despite the bad parcour, but the parcours itself decrease the chance for that to happen.
Exactly, the issue is that you guys seem to give a lot of weight to the parcours, that's all. :)

The Hitch said:
out of interest, what would you guys say was the last good Vuelta parcors?

2006 was also good, perhaps even better.

The 2009 had a great triptico in the south, but unfortunately Unipublic placed the three stages the other way around... it should have been Pandera first, then Sierra Nevada with Ragua, then Velefique+Calar Alto+Velefique.

The mountain stages of 2009:

8_alzira_alto-de-aitana_profil.gif

9_Alcoy_Xorret-del-Cati_profil.gif

12_almeria_alto-de-velefique.gif

13_berja_sierra-nevada.gif.gif

hrotha said:
In my argument? 100%.
In a race being good? Dunno. Much less. 50%? 33%? Too many variables to know. The only variable the organizers can control, however, is the parcours.
Fair enough. IMO without thinking too much or making calculations, the parcours would have a maximum weight of 33%.

cineteq said:
Fair enough. IMO without thinking too much or making calculations, the parcours would have a maximum weight of 33%.
And you say we overrate it? Your talking about one third of the total outcome. Seems quite enough for me to start thinking about how can we improve that third, seeing it's the only variable organisers can manage.

Eshnar said:
And you say we overrate it? Your talking about one third of the total outcome. Seems quite enough for me to start thinking about how can we improve that third, seeing it's the only variable organisers can manage.
Overrated is 100%, that's what you guys think. And I agree it can be greatly improved. It's just another variable in the equation where the 'riders wanting to race' have the highest weight.

cineteq said:
Overrated is 100%, that's what you guys think. And I agree it can be greatly improved. It's just another variable in the equation where the 'riders wanting to race' have the highest weight.
Uh? I just said 33%, 50% or whatever, and you agreed on a guesstimate of 33%. Where does this 100% figure come from all of a sudden?

Again, it's the only variable the organizers can control and manipulate. Well, they can manage the riders' will to race to some extent, through prizes, secondary classifications and what not, but mostly through the parcours.

cineteq said:
1. I don't think, and I already said it, it's 100%.
2. When you guys say "parcours don't matter, riders make the race" you're basically saying it's riders 100%, parcour 0% so you're overrating riders way more than we do with parcour.

Eshnar said:
2. When you guys say "parcours don't matter, riders make the race" you're basically saying it's riders 100&#37]

hrotha said:
Again, it's the only variable the organizers can control and manipulate. Well, they can manage the riders' will to race to some extent, through prizes, secondary classifications and what not, but mostly through the parcours.

My position is the parcours is part of the equation, and it's important to a certain extent (max. 33% IMO). Having a well designed parcours improves the chances of having a better race, yes.

cineteq said:
My position is the parcours is part of the equation, and it's important to a certain extent (max. 33% IMO). Having a well designed parcours improves the chances of having a better race, yes.
...And that is the ONLY thing that can be changed by the organizers, therefore is 100% important for those who create the races :rolleyes: