• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
This is absolutely ridiculous stuff.

The guy went from 6-10 in GC (far from overall victory) to crushing domination (with four stage win at the moment - I count Etna).

He has to be stopped.

Dumoulin went from 6th in the Vuelta 2015, to winning Giro 2017 and beating Quintana at Oropa (and if he didnt stop to poo he´d have won with a bigger margin)

Re: Re:

pastronef said:
Dumoulin went from 6th in the Vuelta 2015, to winning Giro 2017 and beating Quintana at Oropa (and if he didnt stop to poo he´d have won with a bigger margin)
Ha, nice cherrypicking. Dumoulin went from almost winning the 2015 Vuelta, only losing it on the last significant climb, to winning a 2017 Giro where he was perfectly beatable and that he certainly didn't dominate. And even that raised more than a few eyebrows.

pastronef said:
Alexandre B. said:

The guy went from 6-10 in GC (far from overall victory) to crushing domination (with four stage win at the moment - I count Etna).

He has to be stopped.

Dumoulin went from 5th in the Vuelta 2015, to winning Giro 2017 and beating Quintana at Oropa (and if he didnt stop to poo he´d have won with a bigger margin)
Surely no-one thinks Dumoulin - comfortably the world's best time triallist - is riding clean though either. :confused:

DFA123 said:
pastronef said:
Alexandre B. said:

He has to be stopped.

Dumoulin went from 5th in the Vuelta 2015, to winning Giro 2017 and beating Quintana at Oropa (and if he didnt stop to poo he´d have won with a bigger margin)
Surely no-one thinks Dumoulin - comfortably the world's best time triallist - is riding clean though either. :confused:

is there anyone thinking Yates or Dumoulin are riding clean? why the question?

DFA123 said:
pastronef said:
Alexandre B. said:

He has to be stopped.

Certainly not because of his tt abillities...

DFA123 said:
pastronef said:
Alexandre B. said:

He has to be stopped.

Nope, the 2015 Vuelta quickly solved that debate.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:

He has to be stopped.
To be fair the competition is not strong on paper, like Pinot's best result is a 3rd on TdF and a bunch of DNFs. TD has a GT that was suited for him (long time trials), and then Pozzo/MAL....and a Froome that is starting to look like pre-sky Froome (maybe he is off the juice). That leaves Chavez who was showing great form in the 1st week but nowhere to be found .... so yeah ...
i still think that Yates is suspicious

gmedina said:
Alexandre B. said:

He has to be stopped.
To be fair the competition is not strong on paper, like Pinot's best result is a 3rd on TdF and a bunch of DNFs. TD has a GT that was suited for him (long time trials), and then Pozzo/MAL....and a Froome that is starting to look like pre-sky Froome (maybe he is off the juice). That leaves Chavez who was showing great form in the 1st week but nowhere to be found .... so yeah ...
i still think that Yates is suspicious
You can argue that the competition is not world class (despite the narrative between Froome and Dumoulin), Simon Yates is evolving at a ridiculous level, never seen from him.

He.
Has.
To.
Be.
Stopped.

raising eyebrows type of performance by SImon Y. After that monumental grinding on the Zoncolan, trying to catch up Froome, you might think he should have been a bit tired, but he went 18k out and dropped everyone like he was "fresh"......

not normal....

DanielSong39 said:
Stella0596 said:
What will the restday do to him though? Will MS fear he's looking too strong to be believable?

Probably order Simon Yates to drop at least 30 seconds on the time trial to Dumoulin. Obviously he's not dumb enough to smash Dumoulin and Dennis by a minute and win the ITT by a mile.

Yeah, casually beating the WC on a flat course would probably be too much madness :lol:

Stella0596 said:
DanielSong39 said:
Stella0596 said:
What will the restday do to him though? Will MS fear he's looking too strong to be believable?

Probably order Simon Yates to drop at least 30 seconds on the time trial to Dumoulin. Obviously he's not dumb enough to smash Dumoulin and Dennis by a minute and win the ITT by a mile.

Yeah, casually beating the WC on a flat course would probably be too much madness :lol:
He didn't win on a flat course.

Dropping 45 seconds to Dumoulin seems like the sweet spot. Somewhat believable given his form and solidifies his chances of winning the race.

Depends on what Dennis does, too. If Dennis smashes it and Dumoulin is a bit off of Dennis' pace then it's fair game and Yates can try to limit his losses even further or even gain time.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Dropping 45 seconds to Dumoulin seems like the sweet spot. Somewhat believable given his form and solidifies his chances of winning the race.

Depends on what Dennis does, too. If Dennis smashes it and Dumoulin is a bit off of Dennis' pace then it's fair game and Yates can try to limit his losses even further or even gain time.
I don't see Dennis smashing it given that he's also riding for GC.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Nah, Dennis is outside the top 10 and ITT is a huge carrot. Can't imagine that he wouldn't go for the stage win here.
I'm not saying he won't give it all he has, i'm saying that he's been riding hard and must be just as tired as every other GC contender. But this isn't a Rohan discussion thread, so let's end it there.

TRENDING THREADS