• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Puckfiend said:
I just want to know if he is still riding the stage, or did he finally finish?

CZE 77 KREUZIGER, Roman (MITCHELTON - SCOTT) + 38:51
ESP 78 NIEVE ITURRALDE, Mikel (MITCHELTON - SCOTT)
GBR 79 YATES, Simon (MITCHELTON - SCOTT)

Re: Re:

SlickMongoose said:
Yup.

Rider wins - doping.
Rider cracks - doping.
Rider consistently in top ten - doping.
Rider gets stronger over 3 weeks - doping.
Rider gets weaker over 3 weeks - doping.
Riders hangs on in the grupetto all race - must be doping just to keep up.
You'd probably be right in most cases.

After reading over the last few pages, I tend to agree with Mac. It wouldn't surprise me if Yates was better this year for non-doping related reasons. And that his disaster today was also for non-doping reasons. Doping provides a convenient Deus Ex Machina to explain all cycling related performances, but I think it sometimes is understated how other factors might also play a role.

movingtarget said:
TubularBills said:
#donewithprocycling

#donewithnfl

Another Landis.

I'll continue to watch the Spring Classics & Strade Bianchi.

The sport is dead.

I am mourning the death of the Grand Tours?

+ Yates? How does it feel to be out-doped?

Good to know the classics are dope free.........

I think it's more that you are more likely to get farces in the GTs than in the classics. Most of the time even the long range attacks are plausible.

Koronin said:
movingtarget said:
TubularBills said:
#donewithprocycling

#donewithnfl

Another Landis.

The sport is dead.

I think it's more that you are more likely to get farces in the GTs than in the classics. Most of the time even the long range attacks are plausible.

I don't believe that, it's just that time gaps are much bigger in the GTs. If riders are doping they are not easing off when there are monuments to be won and careers to be made. The same riders are often winning stages of GTs anyway.

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:
movingtarget said:
TubularBills said:
#donewithprocycling

#donewithnfl

Another Landis.

The sport is dead.

I don't believe that, it's just that time gaps are much bigger in the GTs. If riders are doping they are not easing off when there are monuments to be won and careers to be made. The same riders are often winning stages of GTs anyway.

As Valverde has explain in the past the way you race a one day race is very different from the way you race a stage race. In a one day race you can empty yourself because you have more time to recover for your next race, which in a stage race and even more so in a Grand Tour you have conserve some energy for recovery and not empty everything into a stage otherwise you won't have anything for the next day.

The unbelievable thing about Yates was the fact that he was a 2nd or 3rd tier GT rider 7 months ago. Then he dominated Froome, Pozzovivo, Dumoulin, Aru and Pinot. We know he’s already on the tue wagon from previous ban, so to suddenly improve this much and becoming a world beater both in high mountains, punchy climbs and tts indicated he started up a new “program”. Now it simply seems as if he peaked earlier than the rest, but still a bit suspicious how he improved over 7 months. Now I think the giro has been nothing special in terms of clinic matters. Just the ebb and flow of people fading in or out of form. It’s been an incredible tour, even better perhaps than last year (even though I became a big major Tom fan that year)

Btw, funny how someone thinks the classics are clean vs GTs lol, “nah, I wouldn’t dope for Paris Roubaix, it’s not really worth it, and doping doesn’t really work in the classics anyway” that’s funny:)

Re:

Oude Geuze said:
Btw, funny how someone thinks the classics are clean vs GTs lol, “nah, I wouldn’t dope for Paris Roubaix, it’s not really worth it, and doping doesn’t really work in the classics anyway” that’s funny:)

Nope that's not what was said. What is being said is that in the classics what we see is plausible. What Froome did yesterday and today was not plausible without being heavily doped.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Koronin said:
Nope that's not what was said. What is being said is that in the classics what we see is plausible. What Froome did yesterday and today was not plausible without being heavily doped.

What makes a classic long range attack like Terpstra, Gilbert, Sagan etc more plausible than a GT long range attack? Especially in a GT when everyone's way more tired and the terrain is mountains you'd expect you'd see small differences between riders exaggerated.

deValtos said:
Koronin said:

What makes a classic long range attack like Terpstra, Gilbert, Sagan etc more plausible than a GT long range attack? Especially in a GT when everyone's way more tired and the terrain is mountains you'd expect you'd see small differences between riders exaggerated.

Actually I think most people actually did think Gilbert was doping last year and definitely a couple years ago before he signed the big contract with BMC.
With Terpstra he's at Quickstep which is known as the top classics team. At Flanders he along with 3 teammates made the final selection. All 4 of them were very capable of winning from an attack and his three teammates did attack forcing the other non QS riders to chase. Terpstra was the last of the QS riders to attack and the other didn't have anything left to bring him back after he was basically following wheels in that final group. Having teammates who are just as big of a threat is a help. Then when you get a gap having those teammates to actually help slow down the group and refuse to work also helps. Because if they caught Terpsra one of the others would have immediately attacked. This is why it's plausible. Sagan is a very strong rider (although not as strong as a Cancellara in his prime). If I remember right some have questioned Cancellara winning in his prime while he was the best TTer in the world. However, his TTing lead to being able to make what he did plausible as well.

Koronin said:
deValtos said:
Koronin said:

Actually I think most people actually did think Gilbert was doping last year and definitely a couple years ago before he signed the big contract with BMC.
With Terpstra he's at Quickstep which is known as the top classics team. At Flanders he along with 3 teammates made the final selection. All 4 of them were very capable of winning from an attack and his three teammates did attack forcing the other non QS riders to chase. Terpstra was the last of the QS riders to attack and the other didn't have anything left to bring him back after he was basically following wheels in that final group. Having teammates who are just as big of a threat is a help. Then when you get a gap having those teammates to actually help slow down the group and refuse to work also helps. Because if they caught Terpsra one of the others would have immediately attacked. This is why it's plausible. Sagan is a very strong rider (although not as strong as a Cancellara in his prime). If I remember right some have questioned Cancellara winning in his prime while he was the best TTer in the world. However, his TTing lead to being able to make what he did plausible as well.
Wow. Pro cycling plausible. Cancellara plausible. :razz:

silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:
deValtos said:
Koronin said:

Wow. Pro cycling plausible. Cancellara plausible. :razz:

Most fans want plausible vs definitely doping. There is a big difference. Just like going to the movies. You want something where you can realistically suspend belief, not something that just flat out doesn't work.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Its still baffling to me how Yates capitulated. It was night and day. It does not add up at all. Was he warned that he was glowing after that amazing time trial? The way he looked strong and confident before the rest day and then after that a blow out. It really does not add up/

If anyone has any theory on this I would like to hear. I had such high hopes for the yound man, perhaps another Bertie was in the make

TRENDING THREADS