• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Tonton if he can win on Belles Filles, or even just top-5, I don't think he will give up that easily...
...and that would be a big mistake IMO. Losing time to win the KOM, and in the process being pretty much guaranteed a BOD stage win should be the main objective.

The PDBF is in Pinot's backyard, but in '14 he finished second, 15" down on winner Nibali. Tibopino has progressed since. The competition will be much stronger though. It's so tempting, he will go for it. But then, no matter what, he has two stages to lose a lot of time if he wants to be BOD eligible.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Netserk said:
In '14 Majka didn't get any points before stage 13, afaik.

But for sure, he should be in the break in the stage over Chat.

Or even on the stage to Les Rousses (stage 8).

I apologize if I didn't make my point clear enough, which is that there are many tempting potential objectives for Pinot at Le Tour. He can't be too greedy. As far as my mention of Majka, in '14 the first 12 stages were undulating at best (except stage 10 - PDBF). The GC situation was unique as well.

'16 is very telling though: a masterpiece. Majka was already 20 minutes behind after four stages. He scored big by finishing 3rd on Le Lioran (stage 5). After that, Majka could take all the BOD and cash in,i.e. stage 15, when he put it definitely in the bag, having an insurmountable lead.
He scored 2 points in that stage...

He would have been better off if he had ridden more like in '14 and concentrated more on the MTFs and saved himself more.

With the current system it is all about HC climbs and MTFs. There's only 17 points available on stage 8. 85 points the day after. So clearly, it's dumb to waste any energy in the first of them. The best would be to target stage 9, 12 & 17 (+18 if necessary, but it shouldn't be; anyway I doubt that stage will go to the break) and then tank all other stages.
 
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton if he can win on Belles Filles, or even just top-5, I don't think he will give up that easily...
He won't win in PDBF... he should lose 10 minutes there to have a free card in mont du chat

He can win PDBF and lose time stage 6 and 7. Get his 10-15 minute deficit.

I just viewed, again, the '12 and '14 PDBF. In '12, TP finished a meh 15th. 2nd in '14, too far when Nibali made his winning move, and then, after an acceleration, he let the others do the job. Porte (new Sky leader after Froome's DNF) began doming for the group and then looked back, probably thinking: "what the heck am I doing?" The group started watching each other, no one wanted to ride, and Tibopino took off, dropping Bardet and Valverde among others. Thibaut actually made up ground on Vincenzo in the final 500 meters.

We all agree that the '14 shark had a serious bite. The '14 Pinot was only 15 seconds down. The Giropino is much better than the '14 Tourdepino. So why not? Still, Froome and Porte will be tough customers on that one.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton if he can win on Belles Filles, or even just top-5, I don't think he will give up that easily...
He won't win in PDBF... he should lose 10 minutes there to have a free card in mont du chat

He can win PDBF and lose time stage 6 and 7. Get his 10-15 minute deficit.

I just viewed, again, the '12 and '14 PDBF. In '12, TP finished a meh 15th. 2nd in '14, too far when Nibali made his winning move, and then, after an acceleration, he let the others do the job. Porte (new Sky leader after Froome's DNF) began doming for the group and then looked back, probably thinking: "what the heck am I doing?" The group started watching each other, no one wanted to ride, and Tibopino took off, dropping Bardet and Valverde among others. Thibaut actually made up ground on Vincenzo in the final 500 meters.

We all agree that the '14 shark had a serious bite. The '14 Pinot was only 15 seconds down. The Giropino is much better than the '14 Tourdepino. So why not? Still, Froome and Porte will be tough customers on that one.

And GiroNibali was much worse than TourNibali.
And both Froome and Porte are way better than Pinot.
Quintana and Bardet are also better. And Aru.

He would have more chances of winning if PDBF was not so soon.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton if he can win on Belles Filles, or even just top-5, I don't think he will give up that easily...
He won't win in PDBF... he should lose 10 minutes there to have a free card in mont du chat

He can win PDBF and lose time stage 6 and 7. Get his 10-15 minute deficit.

I just viewed, again, the '12 and '14 PDBF. In '12, TP finished a meh 15th. 2nd in '14, too far when Nibali made his winning move, and then, after an acceleration, he let the others do the job. Porte (new Sky leader after Froome's DNF) began doming for the group and then looked back, probably thinking: "what the heck am I doing?" The group started watching each other, no one wanted to ride, and Tibopino took off, dropping Bardet and Valverde among others. Thibaut actually made up ground on Vincenzo in the final 500 meters.

We all agree that the '14 shark had a serious bite. The '14 Pinot was only 15 seconds down. The Giropino is much better than the '14 Tourdepino. So why not? Still, Froome and Porte will be tough customers on that one.
I never saw a mod who is a blind fanboy too...
 
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
I never saw a mod who is a blind fanboy too...
That's because LaFlo never wanted to be a mod :p . I like to be a mod actually, although I don't have much free time. Too much work. Having said that, it's thanks to the mods that CN hasn't turned into the comments feature on YouTube. Just saying :) .

Fan boy...and proud of it. I overdo it sometimes to get reactions. Still, in the end, look at Tibopino's record. A lot of queen stages, some big wins, 4 top-10 in GT, just finished 4th at Il Giro, that's better than 4th or 6th at the Dauphine if you ask me :D ;) ...
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
lenric said:
And GiroNibali was much worse than TourNibali.
And both Froome and Porte are way better than Pinot.
Quintana and Bardet are also better. And Aru.

He would have more chances of winning if PDBF was not so soon.

Froome yes, Porte probably, Quintana yes, Bardet no, Aru toss-up.

Everyone's free to believe in fairy tales and no one can do a thing to counter it, so be my guest.
 
Re: Re:

lenric said:
Tonton said:
lenric said:
And GiroNibali was much worse than TourNibali.
And both Froome and Porte are way better than Pinot.
Quintana and Bardet are also better. And Aru.

He would have more chances of winning if PDBF was not so soon.

Froome yes, Porte probably, Quintana yes, Bardet no, Aru toss-up.

Everyone's free to believe in fairy tales and no one can do a thing to counter it, so be my guest.
Where am I wrong according to you? The only responses that were not "yes" were Porte (yet to have a clean GT, perform to his potential), Bardet (ninja for the public, not for the win), and Aru (with Astana you never know)?

Fairy tale: I watched Il Giro. Tibopino was really good. Many here gave him no shot, and still don't give him any credit. What's the excuse this time? Froome and Contador DNF? Like in '14? Porte and Bardet have yet to be in contention week 3. Thibaut was, just one month ago. Remember?

That's not a fairy tale. It happened before our eyes. Maybe you don't like him for some obscure reason, but at least give Pinot his props. C'mon man!!!
 
Re:

lenric said:
Relax please, I wasn't addressing his quality (I have already addressed it, so that's not a new topic). I would have said the same about Nibali and Zakarin (though not obviously about Quintana), since they all have ridden the Giro.
Only Tibopino can stop the dark forces of Sky, past and present, he's the savior...OK. I'm getting too far this time :p . Don't take everything I say/write literally please. I often push the envelope. That's how I win my bets :) .

Pinot and Bardet have nothing to win at the Tour. You can only better a podium by winning the whole thing, and they're not strong enough. Close, somewhat, but no cigar. AG2R has to go for the GC, or hope that Bardet will have an issue like Landa at Il Giro and go for the KOM-stage target. Or both. For Thibaut, if it's all about entertaining the masses in July, bad call. I'd rather have him in La Vuelta, not a friendly environment (course/heat), but something new and fun...
 
Alain Mimoun won the '56 OG Marathon, went to Rome to defend his title, finished as an also ran. I give props to Tibopino for not skipping the whole thing together, being old school, but man, it was rough on me. Thibaut wasn't in the ITT position that much, looked like a GVA going for a monument win and forget the TT bars. After 10K, he was no ITT but guts, nothing like an ITT specialist. His entourage didn't want Pinot to be there, he went for it, but the result is bad. Tibopino is focusing on clmbing, why be there in the first place? Weird.
 
It's interesting to see riders put their GC potential aside and go stage hunting instead. One doesn't completely exclude the other, but it's an advantage if you're twenty minutes behind and get freedom. However there might be a lot of riders like this: Pinot, Majka, Gesink and Rolland all want to win a mountain stage. It will be crowded in those breakaways.

I'm looking forward to see who will actually lose twenty minutes on purpose in the first week, in order to have a better chance in the Jura stages.
 
In a remake of the classic Jacques Tati movie, "Les Vacances de Monsieur Pinot", Tibopino's "vacations" are starting quite well thank you very much. He rode super vanilla, almost stopping in the corners, and still ended up ahead of quite a few top-10 GC favorites. Now Thibaut, lose (a lot of) time and see you at the PDBF...