• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Pinot will podium, having a team in the mountains for some is necessary but for some it doesnt matter, you just sit behind others and follow the peleton/lead bunch however small it is, that is your team. Having a team for sprinting is a necessity. As for his weight, Pinot aint no fat boy slim fast! problem with many of you is your inside the fishbowl of cycling and sometimes your perspective because of that is limited. Im outside the fishbowl looking in and I am telling you all now you are wildly under-estimating Pinot, he has a fair chance of winning, granted less than 4 others but its fair and he chances of podium are very great. without crashing or illness I almost expect Pinot to podium 75% chance for me. Watch n see! :)
I like your optimism. Today was a setback though. To me top 5 - 75%, podium - 40%, 2nd - 15%, win <5%. Pinot himself (per his interviews) sees the Big 4 as better than him. For now. For a podium,many things need to go well; being on the good side of today's bordure was one of them. Hopefully for him, he won't miss other opportunities, and the other guys will.

All changed now for so many GC riders, Pinot can just still get 3rd, unless Contador or Gardren crash its Froom's TDF to lose now really but with 10 great climbers shafted today the mountains will be a free for all of attack on attack!

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
In my opinion he did ok today.

French teams on echelons...
Yep. The first week in general does/will expose the French weaknesses, wind, cobbles, TTT. Today was a setback but there are more traps to overcome, others will get caught. All about survival, and see after the TTT what you do next. Thibaut lost his gains from the ITT but still looks good compared to his nemesises: i.e. Valverde. These stages are taking a toll on teams: what on the paper looked like a good TTT team may be washed up when the TTT comes. FDJ has not done much, Movistar got hurt, Astana got hurt. So much for the "bad route" threads. It's going to be a superb TdF.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one expecting big things from him tomorrow? He seems to have a nice punch. He'll definitely top10 tomorrow, maybe even top5.

Re:

rm7 said:
Am I the only one expecting big things from him tomorrow? He seems to have a nice punch. He'll definitely top10 tomorrow, maybe even top5.
No you're not. If Madiot (who admittedly goes to CN on a daily basis) is smart, Pinot should focus on outdoing Piti week one. Get his wheel tomorrow, if you watched tape, you know where to take off before he gets in his "as usual" zone. Hit early, go for brokes. Get the time bonus, or at least some of it.

Re:

qwer said:
finally all this hype around pinot, is almost over... pinot never will make top5 in this tour...

Hype? I think after a good showing last year (and dropped Nibali at the top of Port de Bales), and stage wins in Romandie and destroying everyone on the Rettenbachferner, it is only natural that we have high expectations.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Simurgh said:
qwer said:
finally all this hype around pinot, is almost over... pinot never will make top5 in this tour...

Hype? I think after a good showing last year (and dropped Nibali at the top of Port de Bales), and stage wins in Romandie and destroying everyone on the Rettenbachferner, it is only natural that we have high expectations.
tour de suisse has 0 competition... rui costa won 3 times tour de suisse and what he does in tour? nothing!!!
he won a stage in romandie only because quintana and others left him go

Simurgh said:
qwer said:

Perhaps he is just talking about the unnecessary hype give to Pinot from this nelsonsmen71 person within the last few days. You're right; in general, I don't think he is hyped to much.

qwer said:
Simurgh said:
qwer said:

tour de suisse has 0 competition... rui costa won 3 times tour de suisse and what he does in tour? nothing!!!

Rui Costa has never really proven himself as a GC man over 3 weeks, has he? So using him as an example is useless.
Spilak, Pozzovivo and Fuglsang (mediocre in that stage I'll give you that) is fine competition. Not A-level riders (Big 4), but certainly B or B+level as Pinot himself.
I can understand your opinion about Romandie, but managing to attack from a group consisting of Froome, Quintana etc. is still impressive, and more impressive is it to manage to keep them (and an in-form Zakarin) behind.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Simurgh said:
qwer said:
Simurgh said:
qwer said:

Rui Costa has never really proven himself as a GC man over 3 weeks, has he? So using him as an example is useless.
Spilak, Pozzovivo and Fuglsang (mediocre in that stage I'll give you that) is fine competition. Not A-level riders (Big 4), but certainly B or B+level as Pinot himself.
I can understand your opinion about Romandie, but managing to attack from a group consisting of Froome, Quintana etc. is still impressive, and more impressive is it to manage to keep them (and an in-form Zakarin) behind.
i will wait for stage 10 to prove that you are wrong :)

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Think he would be better off abandoning and going for a win in the vuelta cause, lets face it, he is not going to make up any time on Froome, Contador, Quintana or nibali in the mountains. Purito seems in good shape and so is tvg.

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Think he would be better off abandoning and going for a win in the vuelta cause, lets face it, he is not going to make up any time on Froome, Contador, Quintana or nibali in the mountains. Purito seems in good shape and so is tvg.

So he should just abandon after 3 days because he is 3min down !? He is no Richie Porte... He will carry on and easily make top 10 and maybe top 5.
His teamate William Bonnet got a broken vertebra in the crash, and Pinot was right next to him and saw everything. According to his declarations on twitter, the shock of seeing his teamate crashing paralysed him for the finale. At least he shows he is not some radio-guided watt-fueled robot. The problem today was more psychological than physical.

TommyGun said:
Ramon Koran said:

So he should just abandon after 3 days because he is 3min down !? He is no Richie Porte... He will carry on and easily make top 10 and maybe top 5.
His teamate William Bonnet got a broken vertebra in the crash, and Pinot was right next to him and saw everything. According to his declarations on twitter, the shock of seeing his teamate crashing paralysed him for the finale. At least he shows he is not some radio-guided watt-fueled robot. The problem today was more psychological than physical.
Porte didn't abandon because he lost a few minutes. He abandoned because he crashed, consequently rode a crap TT and a horrible mountain stage, losing 30 minutes, not 3. But of course you knew that.
That said, I think he can still do top 10, he certainly shouldn't abandon. Top 5 will be hard, seeing how for example TJVG is going.

If all four favorites make it to Paris, TJVG is the clear favorite for 5th place. Another setback, two in a row, but no reason to freak out just yet. Things are getting a lot more complicated though. He needs to ride very well tomorrow and hopefully several GC guys will lose a little time. After the TTT, we'll see. 3 minutes down may give him a small pass from Bertie and Dawg that he would not otherwise have been allowed. The suggestion that he should give up is ridiculous. You don't quit a tennis match when you get broken in the first set: you man up and fight back. Thibaut has a lot of fighting left in him. At least yesterday and today put to rest the "he peaked too early" BS.

TRENDING THREADS