• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A much more reasonable comparison than with Majka is with Simon Yates. Sometimes superb going uphill, very obviously fragile, very inconsistent. Exactly the kind of rider people would say he will never hold it together for three weeks about. Except that he did once. Majka is a very different type of rider, one who needs more top level ability rather than more consistency to contend.

Reactions: Simurgh
Pinot will be so hungry in 2021. Some unfair people may be questioning his leader status after Gaudu's heroics in La Vuelta, even though the latter was virtually never able to follow the best guys "à la pédale"... but this will just make the revenge even sweeter.

Reactions: Tonton
A much more reasonable comparison than with Majka is with Simon Yates. Sometimes superb going uphill, very obviously fragile, very inconsistent. Exactly the kind of rider people would say he will never hold it together for three weeks about. Except that he did once. Majka is a very different type of rider, one who needs more top level ability rather than more consistency to contend.
Yup. This is it exactly.

Reactions: Zinoviev Letter
Pinot will be so hungry in 2021. Some unfair people may be questioning his leader status after Gaudu's heroics in La Vuelta, even though the latter was virtually never able to follow the best guys "à la pédale"... but this will just make the revenge even sweeter.
I'm glad for Gaudu, but you are right: he wasn't in the mix. Now Kirby questioning Tibo has the leader, he seemed to have forgotten the Nice crash, he's clueless, but there's progress: at least he didn't mistake Pinot and Reichenbach.

It's a lost year, but revenge there will be. I'm curious to see the Giro route, because Demare will be given a shot in the Tour...many flat stages.

I'm glad for Gaudu, but you are right: he wasn't in the mix. Now Kirby questioning Tibo has the leader, he seemed to have forgotten the Nice crash, he's clueless, but there's progress: at least he didn't mistake Pinot and Reichenbach.

It's a lost year, but revenge there will be. I'm curious to see the Giro route, because Demare will be given a shot in the Tour...many flat stages.
May the force be with him.

Reactions: Tonton
Its quite scary to think if Majka had another 5-10% climbing ability he could win multiple GTs because he is really consistent.

Reactions: Zinoviev Letter
I would like to see Pinot do a schedule something like this (assuming FDJ get the needed invitations):

GP Marseillaise
Besseges
Tour de Provence
Haut-Var
Ardeche Classic
Drome Classic
Strade Bianche
Tirreno-Adriatico
Milano-Sanremo

Basque Country
Amstel
Fleche
LBL

Dauphine
Tour de France

Montreal
Quebec
Worlds
Giro dell'Emilia
Tre Valli Varesine
Milano-Torino
Lombardia

Focusing mainly on one day races (I can't believe he's never done the Ardennes) and just go stage hunting in the Tour. I'm not totaly sure what the best approach for Worlds is, but the Canadian races might be good.

I would like to see Pinot do a schedule something like this (assuming FDJ get the needed invitations):

GP Marseillaise
Besseges
Tour de Provence
Haut-Var
Ardeche Classic
Drome Classic
Strade Bianche
Tirreno-Adriatico
Milano-Sanremo

Basque Country
Amstel
Fleche
LBL

Dauphine
Tour de France

Montreal
Quebec
Worlds
Giro dell'Emilia
Tre Valli Varesine
Milano-Torino
Lombardia

Focusing mainly on one day races (I can't believe he's never done the Ardennes) and just go stage hunting in the Tour. I'm not totaly sure what the best approach for Worlds is, but the Canadian races might be good.

That's a full schedule...

Throw some early races away like Provence, Haut-Var and San Remo and put Olympics after the Tour and that's a really fine schedule.
Still, I think he will go to the Giro because FDF will be all-in for Demare at TdF.
I thought this year there was room in that FDJ team to bring Demarre to the Tour this year as a fall-back if things went pear-shaped for Tibo, and so in keeping with that I have to say I think there's a case for bringing Pinot +1 (probably Gaudu) to the Tour next year to do something on the days when Nono will be in the grupetto. The good news is, there can be some overlap between the roles of riders like Kung, Armirail and Madouas to support both efforts.

Demare was very good last season and if he continues showing that type of form, then he should definitely be giving the greenlight and some riders for his sprint train. Tour starts where Gaudu is from, so it would makes sense that he goes too. For GC, stages and so on.

I hope Pinot will do Giro + Vuelta, and gets into great form in the fall.

Last edited:
Thibaut Pinot speaks out about TUE abuse and ketones | Cyclingnews

I might be naive, but he sounds so genuine - and as he himself points out, some of his DNFs could have been avoided...
It is a very idealist, applaudable view to have, but it could also reflect the lack of a "whatever the cost" winning mentality not to exploit the grey area. I doubt that he will ever win a GT if he isn't willing to operate in the grey area, but the more or less dominating narrative of being the most "human" GT contender is partly what makes him popular and likeable - he could be any one of us (of course having the right genetics etc.), so to speak. His views and him as rider appeals to some sort of romanticism, not unlike Contador , but in different ways; Thibaut riding on "bread and water", and Contador's attacking style of a bygone era. Both speak to the idealist, the romanticist in different ways. For me as fan of both, I suppose that is what makes them more interesting for me than the rest of the peloton, even though I sympatize with plenty. Just saw the headline of the original interview in l'Equipe, which is rather telling: "Pour moi, c'était la fin de l'enfance".

Didn't think it is clinic stuff per se, since it is mostly about the exploitable grey areas, the interview is about, but rather prefer to see this post removed than getting banned.

It is a very idealist, applaudable view to have, but it could also reflect the lack of a "whatever the cost" winning mentality not to exploit the grey area.

Idealist, indeed. Unfortunately, it seems that it means that "whatever the cost" becomes "whatever the cost... to his own body." Especially since while a TUE might have prevented the DNFs, as it happened perhaps DNFing earlier - or... at all, as in the case of last year's Tour - might have been better. Yet... I can understand him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
check how many TUEs were granted recently across all Uci races and riders

Et0JeExWQAc74TL

Reactions: glassmoon
Thibaut Pinot speaks out about TUE abuse and ketones | Cyclingnews

I might be naive, but he sounds so genuine - and as he himself points out, some of his DNFs could have been avoided...
It is a very idealist, applaudable view to have, but it could also reflect the lack of a "whatever the cost" winning mentality not to exploit the grey area. I doubt that he will ever win a GT if he isn't willing to operate in the grey area, but the more or less dominating narrative of being the most "human" GT contender is partly what makes him popular and likeable - he could be any one of us (of course having the right genetics etc.), so to speak. His views and him as rider appeals to some sort of romanticism, not unlike Contador , but in different ways; Thibaut riding on "bread and water", and Contador's attacking style of a bygone era. Both speak to the idealist, the romanticist in different ways. For me as fan of both, I suppose that is what makes them more interesting for me than the rest of the peloton, even though I sympatize with plenty. Just saw the headline of the original interview in l'Equipe, which is rather telling: "Pour moi, c'était la fin de l'enfance".

Didn't think it is clinic stuff per se, since it is mostly about the exploitable grey areas, the interview is about, but rather prefer to see this post removed than getting banned.
Then I'll start a "Save Simurgh" thread :). Yes, candid interview from Thibaut, as always. I hope he gets a great 2021 season, bounce back again.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Then I'll start a "Save Simurgh" thread :). Yes, candid interview from Thibaut, as always. I hope he gets a great 2021 season, bounce back again.
This rider is one of the most talented and most singular-linear physiques to get this far. IMO if he did the basic weight training and recovery that classic riders did, put on some weight and then and only then; started thinking about winning one week stage races would we see his potential. He's been overtrained, over-hyped and quickly over-scrutinized like every French hopeful. He needs to take control of his program and have one or two good years, totally strong and confident. There's no question he'll give his entire heart and body to the effort. He needs a little more body, though.

he needs to go to live in Andorra, avoid French races and French journalists (sauf TDF) possibly change team. I´d love to see hin with DSM instead of Bardet.
Or Girona. Get Lance's old pad, fridge, and all. He was so close to winning the'19 TdF that the one-week race stuff doesn't apply. Is he the new Vietto? If so, he'll be remembered. Bad luck, tears, giving it all. A Champion.

Or Girona. Get Lance's old pad, fridge, and all. He was so close to winning the'19 TdF that the one-week race stuff doesn't apply. Is he the new Vietto? If so, he'll be remembered. Bad luck, tears, giving it all. A Champion.
The guy is good but he's lived his life in the French, microscopic media cesspool. He has much more natural talent than the former, self-proclaimed Stud of Girona. You guys are right in that he needs to go to a team to build him up and then let him do what he did to every other GC contender in the mountains. The guy was a killer and could be again. Riding into a mediocre environment would be a waste. He has that in common with a certain tall Dutch rider, also contemplating a future.

Reactions: pastronef

TRENDING THREADS