• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas Dekker to cooperate with Anti-Doping Agency

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well I guess Tyler did not list everything out or its under wraps or he'd of written about it or said something in an interview as who Luiggi is.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
According to the Suddeutsche Zeitung in 2010, Dekker was actually "Classico Mano".

Rund 50 Fahrer sollen - neben Profis anderer Sportarten - in den von Spanien blockierten Puerto-Akten stehen. Ein weiterer Codename könnte Thomas Dekker zugeordnet werden - nach gesicherten SZ-Informationen firmiert der soeben von Team Rabobank wegen markanter Blutwerte verabschiedete Holländer als "Classico Mano" in der Liste. Dekker, 24, unterschrieb am Sonntag beim Lotto-Rennstall einen Vertrag.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/doping-im-radsport-razzia-und-neue-tests-1.687240

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
So who identified Dekker as "Clasicómano Luigi"? Did he ever say it was him?

seems there's been a mix-up.

Cancellara seems to have been classicómano luigi.
Thomas Dekker could have been the plain classicómano.
Not sure who was the first to link Thomas Dekker to that nickname. It may have been the Germans who did that.
Ein weiterer Codename könnte Thomas Dekker zugeordnet werden - nach gesicherten SZ-Informationen firmiert der soeben von Team Rabobank wegen markanter Blutwerte verabschiedete Holländer als "Classico Mano" in der Liste.
not sure if Dekker himself has ever said anything about the nickname.

Frosty said:
Havent seen that he said he was. NRC (Dutch newspaper) was claiming that he was.
Hmm, that changes everything. I think the NRC is most likely wrong. I wonder if asking Dekker directly would yield any results...
GazelleFormula said:
According to the Suddeutsche Zeitung in 2010, Dekker was actually "Classico Mano".
Bit of a crappy source. They have Dekker as no. 24, which is "Clasicómano Luigi", not just "Clasicómano" (that's no. 33). And of course "Classico Mano" is just gibberish.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Hmm, that changes everything. I think the NRC is most likely wrong. I wonder if asking Dekker directly would yield any results...

Bit of a crappy source. They have Dekker as no. 24, which is "Clasicómano Luigi", not just "Clasicómano" (that's no. 33). And of course "Classico Mano" is just gibberish.

wait. the number 24 in the article is Dekker's age, I believe.

sniper said:
Cancellara seems to have been classicómano luigi.
Thomas Dekker could have been the plain classicómano.
Cancellara being Clasicómano Luigi is just speculation at this point, though (but that's my bet too).

The problem with Dekker being Clasicómano (Luigi or not) is that the codename doesn't fit him at all. So, it depends on how they got to link him to that code and what evidence they had.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Cancellara being Clasicómano Luigi is just speculation at this point, though (but that's my bet too).
have you seen jfromm's link one or two pages back?
Cancellara's statements there neatly fit onto Tyler's 'Luigi'.

sniper said:
I've seen it, but it's not proof yet. It's not as definite as, say, the identification of LLS.

Has anyone found a news article where Cancellara said anything to the effect of "These guys shouldn’t be at the event" during that ToC? That would be interesting.

sniper said:
Nope, I had missed it. Thanks. The identification looks a lot more definite now (at any rate we can be sure the peloton thought he was Clasicómano Luigi, and the peloton would probably not be wrong about something like that).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Nope, I had missed it. Thanks. The identification looks a lot more definite now (at any rate we can be sure the peloton thought he was Clasicómano Luigi, and the peloton would probably not be wrong about something like that).

a nice coincidence that you asked JV about it yesterday and Tyler's interview comes out today.

Besides, like mentioned here before Dekker and Hamilton got along pretty well. Actually, in that period Dekker trained and hung out with a lot of (ex)dopers. I was never fond of that fact, even if I was stupid enough to convince myself he was racing clean.
But training with all those reputated exdopers like Hamilton, Petacchi and others... it was an ominous sign

TRENDING THREADS