Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Inquitus said:
TomekA said:
This guy is incredible. I'm afraid, after Froome retirement, Sky will sign him and with Sky protection he will dominate TdF like Indurain.

With a Sky Train to protect him instead of a weak sauce Sunweb team, he clearly would have the chance to win many Grand Tours.

Without his key lieutenant crashing out, Dumoulin would have a perfectly respectable Giro contender's team. The loss of Kelderman in a freak accident doesn't mean that they gave him a sub par team, it just means he got unlucky. Of course what's perfectly respectable for a Giro contender is a long way short of the kind of support a multiple Tour winner can expect. If Sunweb want to keep him they will have to get the chequebook out, both to pay Dumoulin and to hire in the support he should demand. If they can't do that, Sky is unfortunately a logical place for him to go. The only barrier would be that Froome isn't old enough for the transition to be smooth or easily managed.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Amazing. He basically rode at the front for the last 4 kilometres, taking matters into his own hands, chapeau!

Now, a 20 minutes effort after 3 flat days is something else entirely to a 220 km wrecking day after a restday.
Well he has trained for more obviously

"Climbing workouts

I don't need to change my style. I just need to learn to climb a lot more. It means that your body is going to maintain a lot more power while training in specific zones. That's different to what I'm used to when I'm training in the Ardennes, where the climbs are shorter and the efforts are more explosive. That's important for me so I can work on pushing out X number of watts for half an hour, three times a day."
 
Ofcourse not. It's basically hinges on the strength of Laurens Ten Dam, Preidler and Haga vs Anacona, Amador, Izagirre, De La Parte and Jose Herrada...

Even with a lesser day he could limite the damage, but with a lesser day and the team being wiped away. It will be a repeat of Vuelta 2015.

However, it will take a lot more to break him I think. He should be much better prepared this time. That's why I don't like the comparisons people keep making with the 'old' Dumoulin. It makes no sense.

That's like comparing Froome to pre-2011 Froome. Why would you do that?
 
Jul 29, 2016
634
1
0
What a ride today!

From what I have seen, this was especilly important from psychological point of view, Quintana really tried and clearly was shocked, that he did not succeed... . Important for Tom!
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
However, it will take a lot more to break him I think. He should be much better prepared this time. That's why I don't like the comparisons people keep making with the 'old' Dumoulin. It makes no sense.

That's like comparing Froome to pre-2011 Froome. Why would you do that?
Not remotely comparable. 2011 Froome and pre 2011 Froome are completely different riders in terms of their power output, whereas the new and the old Dumoulin are pretty much the same rider.
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
del1962 said:
Definitely stronger than Froome of 2017 , I think only 2013 Froome would beat him.

Let's not get carried away here...

This. Let's see how things progress in the 3rd week. Nothing is over.

That said, It was awesome seeing him give it to Quintana in the finale. Everyone wants to sit behind him....he'll just ride them off his wheel.
 
A wee bit frivolous but how do you actually pronounce big Tam's surname in English. In my head, I've always given it a French pronunciation for some reason (do moi lain) and I don't think anyone on ES has got it right either as they all pronounce it a wee bit differently. Can we have a definitive for us non Dutch speakers?
 
Jun 28, 2015
16
0
0
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
He has somethings going against him.
Weak team, Multi Mountain stages and Dutch bad luck. But it is equally possible that Quintana will run out of energy with the effort and crack in the final TT

The TT will be crucial. Strangely not many people thought the TTs would matter much but not many picked Dumoulin to be Quintana's main opposition obviously.

Every MTF is a TT for our man TD :)

 
Re:

ferryman said:
A wee bit frivolous but how do you actually pronounce big Tam's surname in English. In my head, I've always given it a French pronunciation for some reason (do moi lain) and I don't think anyone on ES has got it right either as they all pronounce it a wee bit differently. Can we have a definitive for us non Dutch speakers?

How can there be a universal non-Dutch pronunciation of a Dutch name?

I also pronounce it the French way. It's difficult to describe it in English since the vowels in English are quite random but it is something along the lines of "Dymulang" (with Danish pronunciation rules). Just don't use the stupid English always-stress-the-first-syllable method which butchers French names. And the second syllable should definitely not be pronounced "moi" like me in French.
 
May 14, 2016
62
0
2,680
Talking about weak team, I wonder if Sky is going to help him. To make Quintana's effort harder. Also Astana and Trek might be options, on condition they are not much interested in fighting for 6th place in Giro.
 
MightyWheelSucker said:
Talking about weak team, I wonder if Sky is going to help him. To make Quintana's effort harder. Also Astana and Trek might be options, on condition they are not much interested in fighting for 6th place in Giro.

Not overtly imo, but maybe when their interests align.

Anyway, it's going to be a hard week for Quintana either way at this point. Even if Dumoulin cracks completely, like losing half an hour on the Stelvio or something, he still has to worry about Pinot and Nibali.
 
Probably, yeah, but he's not clear of them yet. My point is that even without Dumoulin in the picture, Quintana still has to make a real effort to win the race. I don't know if he actually expected to freewheel to Milan, but it's not happening.

And I don't think Dumoulin will crack. He just looked too composed so far.
 
I've been checking the results from the Vuelta 2015 again.

Dumoulin's performances in multi mountain stages where quite consistent with his performances on the bigger uniclimb stages in the 2015 Vuelta. He was 8th and 7th of the GC men in the 2 queen stages. Even on the stage where he 'cracked' he was dropped by about 6 GC riders, and then rode solo against a cooperating group of 5 riders.

He was 12th, 10th and 10th in the Cat 1 uniclimb stages, and did damage himself on the murito's in the first 9 days.

I don't think Dumoulin's climbing is that much worse on multi mountain stages. I think that altitude is the bigger question
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
I've been checking the results from the Vuelta 2015 again.

Dumoulin's performances in multi mountain stages where quite consistent with his performances on the bigger uniclimb stages in the 2015 Vuelta. He was 8th and 7th of the GC men in the 2 queen stages. Even on the stage where he 'cracked' he was dropped by about 6 GC riders, and then rode solo against a cooperating group of 5 riders.

He was 12th, 10th and 10th in the Cat 1 uniclimb stages, and did damage himself on the murito's in the first 9 days.

I don't think Dumoulin's climbing is that much worse on multi mountain stages. I think that altitude is the bigger question
The race situation is completely different to the Vuelta. No-one was riding against Dumoulin in the Vuelta multi-mountain stages, until the last one - where he lost huge time. Quintana, Aru and Purito were all just looking at each other and riding really cautiously up until the final climb. None of them were prepared to go hard on an earlier climb and risk being counter-attacked by another climber.

This time everyone will ride against Dumoulin, and look to drop him early on any one of the five consecutive multi-mountain stages. We know he can time trial very well up a MTF when he paces himself. But on the earlier climbs, when he simply has to stay on the wheel of the likes of Quintana and Nibali, even when they ride at an inconsistent pace to try to break him, he will be really tested. And he has to do that for five days in a row. He's going to crack at some point; the question is whether or not his team can limit the damage enough.