• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

frisenfruitig said:
Red Rick said:
frisenfruitig said:
Red Rick said:
Because that was so terribly televised, we'll never know. He did get away in the last km though.

Dumoulin is probably the only rider who can compete in everything apart from races with no selection at all.

*cough* Valverde *cough*
If a race is barely selective, Valverde will always run into the better sprinter. Dumoulin isn't dependent on hills alone to make something happen, as his rouleur skills are good enough to damage on flat parts too.

Well you did say "compete", not win. Also Dumoulin literally has no sprint to count on and can only win solo, which becomes harder the less selective the course is.
even though it was uphill, his victories on Oropa and in the Vuelta were sprint victories

Bardamu said:
frisenfruitig said:
Red Rick said:
frisenfruitig said:
Red Rick said:
Because that was so terribly televised, we'll never know. He did get away in the last km though.

Dumoulin is probably the only rider who can compete in everything apart from races with no selection at all.

*cough* Valverde *cough*

Well you did say "compete", not win. Also Dumoulin literally has no sprint to count on and can only win solo, which becomes harder the less selective the course is.
even though it was uphill, his victories on Oropa and in the Vuelta were sprint victories

Against other guys with no sprint, sure. He's nowhere near as explosive as Valverde or Kwiatkowski.

Red Rick said:
memyselfandI said:
Dumoulin is probably next #1 GT star, but I really don't understand why he skips Vuelta as he needs 2nd GT to be competitive at the TdF next year ?
I don't understand the assertion that he needs a 2nd GT to be competitive next year?

To get out of the season on a high level. Of course there is risks by creating too much fatigue, risk of illness, crashes aso but. TD could likely tolerate the training load of Vuelta, take a nice recovery period then get back to a structured training again. Look at Froome, always trying to do Tour-Vuelta double. Training is racing is training for them too. It's hard to replicate GT fatique accumulation in training as these people are so trained already.

frisenfruitig said:
Also Dumoulin literally has no sprint to count on and can only win solo.
YMC6hSf.gif

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:
I think Valverde and Kwiatkowski are more versatile than Dumoulin, but he is certainly high up there.
I agree.
Dumoulin doens't have their sprint.

However, on cobbles he is better than Valverde, he already showed that in ENECO tours. I'm curious what he will do at the Binck Bank Tour this year

He must use the 20-30-50K sprint a la Fabulous Cancellara :cool:

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well since he started doing specific training camps his programma has become lighter. Even until giro he only rode dubai, tirreno, strade bianchi and lbl

His efficiency per race day however is paying off:
http://prntscr.com/g04hyq

Well it depends on statistics..Points/100k (procyclingstats) some picks:

Career:

Froome 8.9
Dumoulin 6.3

2017:

Froome 15.5
Dumoulin 16.6

2016:

Froome 21.0
Dumoulin 10.4

I don't think he will many due to his lack of sprinting qualities, but I do believe he is capable to win a wide variety of races. From GT's to classics like LBL and Lombardia, but also Flanders and Roubaix (if he focuses on it, which he might do in the future).

I think it's quite amazing he was up there with all those supercompensating tdf riders while it was just his first race after a long break and training period.

Being up there with that elite group was quite nice, but even better as it was his first race day.

ice&fire said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Impressive to be with the TDF supercompensation rider as only non TDF rider in that lead group.

I think the Giro only made him stronger. I hope he will target LBL next to the Tour next year.
He's after Martin and Alaphilippe in the queue waiting for Valverde to retire :D

And Kwiat of course.
(Kwiat was the only rider in this years race who could have beaten Valverde. His positioning was simply horrible)

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well since he started doing specific training camps his programma has become lighter. Even until giro he only rode dubai, tirreno, strade bianchi and lbl

His efficiency per race day however is paying off:
http://prntscr.com/g04hyq

This is usually pretty inaccurate as CQ only has top 20 riders for HC and below races (Tom has no missing days though). Also, Valverde is being insane as usual with no missing days.

TRENDING THREADS