• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Well even Froome looks like he's struggling. Without a 80km solo, Dumo would perhaps be on for the first Giro-Tour double since pantani, a year after losing a fair bit of form in third week of Giro
I agree, with a right route and a decent team he can absolutely do it

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
On course to have an Ullrich / Zoetemelk career of many second places
Steady on. His first time riding the TdF for GC. With a long mountain stage and a TT still to come, he’s in 2nd place, less than 2’ behind yellow. Without his time lost at Bretagne, he would be less than 1’ down. He’s 4-5 years younger than Thomas or Froome so has a few years left of GC contention. It’s too early to call this Tour over (though it probably is) let alone future years.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

true, but deserves so much more.

at least for ullrich and zoetemelk there was a traditional amount of ITT.

GTs are so skewed these days that dumoulin - who is in the mold of GT winners past (just ask Thomazeau of cycling podcast) - will win far fewer than his class deserves.

also, dumoulin attacked more in this stage (i.e. once) than zoetemelk did in his entire career. ;-)

then again, zoetemelk's career literally bridged perfectly over the careers of the two most dominant riders of all time.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Who knows. He has a fantastic year, we can say that now, the second fantastic year in a row. And he is still progressing, he has better climbing legs than last year. Bernal (and Gaudu, etc.) is coming, but I wouldn't be sure he will be an instant Tour winner in the next 2 years. Dumoulin is climbing like the best climbers in this Tour and I very much doubt that Bernal will be MUCH better than a prime form Quintana, if better at all. Btw Dumoulin has the TTs on his side and he is very good tactically (despite losing the Giro partly because a tactical error - that was a very hard decision he had to make at that point quickly). I think if Sunweb shows up with the best possible team and Tom focuses on the Tour next year he will have a very good shot at winning it!

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I dunno, he tried peaking 3 times in a season earlier and that failed badly (Giro, Olympics TT, World TT). He was bad at worlds.

However, he had a super light schedule up to the Grand Tours. So who knows.
We're in uncharted freaking territory anyway. What else is there to do but try? He can end the season, which doesn't happen too often but I wouldn't begrudge him for it, or he can ride some races that are still worth riding

I mean he already far exceeded any expectations. I had some confidence he would do well for at least 2 weeks, because I thought the course suited him more than you'd think. But I kinda expected him to fade in the 3rd week. But he shows no real signs of that. I'm really surprised that he has no bad days in 2 GT's as well. In the Giro last year he was really fading in the last week.

The only difference I can find he's mainly been the chaser, not the chased. He could ride in the wheel a lot more and didn't need to respond to every attack himself (Sky train).

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
L'equipe today announces he will target the Tour in 2019, no Giro. They are quoting Spekenbrink who says they will bring Oomen and Kelderman.

I expect some kind of coupe for tomorrow between him and Roglic. They are both great in the decent and the Tourmalet provides an excellent opportunity for that. Sunweb has the ability to send guys in the front. Haga, Kragh Andersen & Arndt could set a very high pace in that tricky part after the Tourmalet and Lotto-Jumbo can put pressure on the sky train uphill. It's going to be a very spectacular stage on friday, "for sure" (Roglic)

Re:

Cinemaniak said:
I expect some kind of coupe for tomorrow between him and Roglic. They are both great in the decent and the Tourmalet provides an excellent opportunity for that. Sunweb has the ability to send guys in the front. Haga, Kragh Andersen & Arndt could set a very high pace in that tricky part after the Tourmalet and Lotto-Jumbo can put pressure on the sky train uphill. It's going to be a very spectacular stage on friday, "for sure" (Roglic)
Expect a battle for the breakaway
Expect Quintana to throw a huge bomb on the climb of the Tourmalet.

They'll need a decent gap and a lot of manpower ahead. And they'll all need to make it.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I dunno, he tried peaking 3 times in a season earlier and that failed badly (Giro, Olympics TT, World TT). He was bad at worlds.

However, he had a super light schedule up to the Grand Tours. So who knows.
I guess he'll take some weeks rest after the Tour and then will properly build up to the WC (and Lombardia), he must be aware that this is the WC course where he has a chance of winning, it will not happen often.

TRENDING THREADS