• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

johnymax said:
glassmoon said:
Lequack said:
glassmoon said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Didn’t Roglic already sign an extension earlier this season?
yep, until the end of 2020 iirc

Actually 2023. Not sure ifs a done deal yet though.
I see, 2020 must've been the original contract then.
They made an offer till 2023 but he hasn't signed anything yet.

His best move would be to look elsewhere. Maybe Astana?

No Vuelta for Tom :(
https://nos.nl/artikel/2296415-rampjaar-dumoulin-nog-niet-voorbij-ook-streep-door-vuelta.html
WCH not certain too.

Google transl.:
Tom Dumoulin's disaster year is only getting worse. The Limburger of Sunweb will have to miss the Vuelta a España after the Tour de France due to its fall in the Giro d'Italia.
He still has too much trouble with the knee injury he sustained during his crash, making it impossible for him to appear fit and in shape at the start of the Tour of Spain in three weeks.
The Vuelta starts August 24 with a flat team time trial in Torrevieja. It is not known whether Dumoulins will participate in the Yorkshire World Championships at the end of September.

Is beyond me what is happenning with him. Sunweb probably ruined his career and I had a feeling that this dude could win 5 straight tours. Only froome could bother him in the mountains and he is probably the best time trialist in the world, somehow I feel sunweb stole the 2019 tour from him. The competition was teally weak there

Pantani had to abandon the 1993 Giro d'Italia with tendinitis after Carrera raced him too hard as a stagaire in 1992 and a domestique in Mexico & Trentino earlier in spring! If my information is correct he didn't race again in 1993 as well. Of course he would be coming back stronger the following year, winning back-to-back mountain stages and finishing 2nd at the 1994 Giro d'Italia, respectively finishing 3rd & winning the youth classification against Virenque at the 1994 Tour de France!

So Dumoulin not racing again at all this season might be not as dramatic as it sounds right now! The problem of course is that Dumoulins tendon is harmed by a fall and a subsequent injury, while Pantani's was simply stressed too much. I've got some worries, too. Then again, apparently Jumbo is confident that Dumoulin is 100% back in action in 2020!

As he wants to leave anyway, maybe Dumoulin simply doesn't have any desire to race again and potentially once again stress his knee too early this year anymore. Simply healing out completely and focus on 2020 with Jumbo already! So Ruben's suggestion sounds quite plausible to me, given his latest injury record and the ongoing contract negotiations!

Last edited:
Is beyond me what is happenning with him. Sunweb probably ruined his career and I had a feeling that this dude could win 5 straight tours. Only froome could bother him in the mountains and he is probably the best time trialist in the world, somehow I feel sunweb stole the 2019 tour from him. The competition was teally weak there
Ruined his career: Remains to be seen if/how he comes back next season.
Stole the 2019 Tour from him: Did Sprekenbrink cause the crash in Frascati? Just because he thought Jumbo might be sniffing around his star? Seems like a serious allegation..

Ruined his career: Remains to be seen if/how he comes back next season.
Stole the 2019 Tour from him: Did Sprekenbrink cause the crash in Frascati? Just because he thought Jumbo might be sniffing around his star? Seems like a serious allegation..
If at all it's the medical team that harmed Dumoulin, not Spekenbrink!

If so, Dumoulin could still fill-in a lawsuit against the medical staff. Most times these lawsuits end-up being endless dead cases. Hence why the acussed often just throws a big paycheck at the suitor, to make the case disappear.

In Dumoulin's case he probably won't ask for smart money, but for a cheap release from his contract to join Jumbo. Thus, he could use a lawsuit for negligence against Sunweb to significantly better his position during the negotiations.

Spekenbrink has zero interest that this happens. He loses his star rider, a big transfer fee and a friend!

The Dutch press reports that it is now certain that Tom leaves Sunweb. Apperently they have reached an agreement. So if the rumors are true, TJV will be his new team.

I think that a fresh start might do him some good.

EDIT: Tom reports on Twitter that he is leaving Sunweb.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Red Rick
I know a rider like Tom Dumoulin must go where he can earn the most money for his family but I for one do not want to see all the GC riders in 2 teams

I also think alot of posters on here are very unfair on Sunweb ...they helped develop Dumoulin just like they are developing talent like Hirschi and Kamna
They have a very limited budget and from that have a womens team and a youth development team. They bought what they could and could afford.I still beleive if al lfit Dumoulin Tour team this year at the Tour with Kelderman,Oomen, Kamna , Mathews & Roche was not too shabby at all
And contrary to many report Dumoulin's move is for the pay ...which is fine ..he has to go where he has to go

Just dont expect the grass to always be greener
But I wish him well and hope he can win the Tour next year

Reactions: SafeBet
I kind of started to hope that there was a way he could stay. I think Sunweb have done very well with the resources they have, and they were the team that brought the Skil jerseys back to the peloton.

But it’s clear that with their resources, they just wouldn’t ever be able to get everything lined up for Dumoulin to win every race he can.

The big question now is if his new employer is definitely Jumbo, or if it’ll be someone else. If it’s Jumbo, why not announce the new team now? Edit: oh, but now I see while I was typing this they already have confirmed it.

Not a fan of his character at all. He is known as a guy that always complains and never sees a fault in himself, instead it is always about the others. Not sure how to correctly express my thoughts in english, but it is really cheap to exploit the situation like he did. Obviously this can't be compared to the Sosa thing, but in terms of holding their word both don't seem to be too far away.

Very good news.
The potential to achieve more was there with Sunweb but they couldn't support Tom in a way fitting a proven GT winner. Tom loved to be in the Team and beleived in them. That's why he signed the multi year contract with them. So the insufficient support alone wouldn't have been enough reason for him to leave but combined with the mishandling of his knee injury... he had enough.

He will get the necessary Support at Jumbo I'm sure. Another positive thing is that his injury cannot be that serious if JV signed him.

TRENDING THREADS