• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 179 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who is he more likely to beat? Ineos’ 2nd rank GC leader in a Giro or Vuelta? Or Ganna/VanAert in an Olympic/Worlds TT?
I dont think that should be the primary question. His comeback should mainly be about what he wants to do, and compete where he feels good and isnt compromising health and happiness. Of course to be a professional athlete He will have to deliver sooner or later, but let him take his time.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think he could still come close in a GT if he really wanted to go for it. He came 7th last year in the tour but if you see the JV documentary, you see how he struggled through it mentally and pysically. If he had none of those issues he would have been able to come very close this year. This year’s tour suits him well. But of course with the break we will never know.

I think he could still come close in a GT if he really wanted to go for it. He came 7th last year in the tour but if you see the JV documentary, you see how he struggled through it mentally and pysically. If he had none of those issues he would have been able to come very close this year. This year’s tour suits him well. But of course with the break we will never know.
I agree. Especially his ITT in the Tour made me think he still had it. Then he forgot to change bikes and flattered to deceive once more.

• Wow
I dont think that should be the primary question. His comeback should mainly be about what he wants to do, and compete where he feels good and isnt compromising health and happiness. Of course to be a professional athlete He will have to deliver sooner or later, but let him take his time.
Well obviously his mental health should be the most important factor, but I don’t think that goes against what I was saying, or the post I was replying to. It’s perfectly reasonable to speculate about what Dumoulin can or cannot achieve after his comeback.

Like it or not, there will be pressure on him, be it from the team, the sponsors, the fans, the media, or even just from himself. He may never get back to his old level, and nobody would blame him if he didn’t, but until we see what his level is, the question of what he can do will be out there.

Reactions: Cassirer
I missed the big guy :)

E3W70PVWEAEmztk

I doubt it too, although it would be nice thing to maybe get him excited in cycling again.

Because I fear that f he will be beaten, he will definetely end his career
Huh? If he only wanted to keep cycling if he became Olympic Champion, he'd be putting a lot of pressure on himself, exactly what he didn't want anymore. You could ask why he would even bother, since there is maybe a 15% chance of him winning that ITT. Dennis, Van Aert, Ganna, Evenepoel have at least as much, if not more, chances of winning. I think it would be unfair to himself to expect that or to have that being the condition that needs to be fulfilled in order to keep cycling.

Huh? If he only wanted to keep cycling if he became Olympic Champion, he'd be putting a lot of pressure on himself, exactly what he didn't want anymore. You could ask why he would even bother, since there is maybe a 15% chance of him winning that ITT. Dennis, Van Aert, Ganna, Evenepoel have at least as much, if not more, chances of winning. I think it would be unfair to himself to expect that or to have that being the condition that needs to be fulfilled in order to keep cycling.
I agree that there are a lot more stronger riders and the chance he even wins a medal is small. But I do think he is definetely putting the bar high, he wants that win. Or at least a medal.
Of course circumstances were different at last tour, but he was so disappointed after that last time trial.
I fear that disappointment again if he loses out on a medal to maybe someone lesser known.

But I hope I am wrong and he really refound his love for cycling. He is an amazing cyclist and olympic win or not, I am sure he could still bring us fans a lot of excitement by doing some great racing.

I agree that there are a lot more stronger riders and the chance he even wins a medal is small. But I do think he is definetely putting the bar high, he wants that win. Or at least a medal.
Of course circumstances were different at last tour, but he was so disappointed after that last time trial.
I fear that disappointment again if he loses out on a medal to maybe someone lesser known.

But I hope I am wrong and he really refound his love for cycling. He is an amazing cyclist and olympic win or not, I am sure he could still bring us fans a lot of excitement by doing some great racing.

It might also depend on the time? If he misses out but is close that's probably different from "I'm minutes behind".

I think his problems stem from overthinking and over training throughout the year especially in the offseason. The offseason the riders should totally be off the bike IMO. But the obsession to be ready in the early races or the fear that it will become an uphill task later on probably forces the riders to train in the off season as well.

I think his problems stem from overthinking and over training throughout the year especially in the offseason. The offseason the riders should totally be off the bike IMO. But the obsession to be ready in the early races or the fear that it will become an uphill task later on probably forces the riders to train in the off season as well.
I hope he paces himself as well throughout the year just as well as he does during the race

I hope he paces himself as well throughout the year just as well as he does during the race

I don't see how it's really possible to have an off-season off the bike considering how short it is these days. I mean they are back racing in January and there can be pressure to perform well in the early races (e.g. Pogacar in UAE Tour).

yeah ppl underrate the level he had last year considering the difficult comeback and saddle issues and mental issues. Its kinda impressive he still finished 7th with that and still be so good at the end of the Tour to finish 2nd in the ITT

Back to winning ways

He's really happy and relieved to have won. Also really happy with the progress he's made. He was overtrained last year and this year when he took the break and he really struggled with how his body didn't react like it should after training.

He started training seriously in early May and he's been consistently getting better. Especially recovering properly after efforts is the most important thing.

TRENDING THREADS