• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 185 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently in the paywalled article he says something like "Giro, Tour or both." So likely no Vuelta for Dumo

I really hope that he doesn't go to the Tour unless he wants a pure domestique role because with Roglić, Van Aert and Vingegård there is no room for his personal ambitions.

Giro-Vuelta is the obvious choice but sadly he doesn't seem to care about the latter one.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really hope that he doesn't go to the Tour unless he wants a pure domestique role because with Roglić, Van Aert and Vingegård there is no room for his personal ambitions.

Giro-Vuelta is the obvious choice but sadly he doesn't seem to care about the latter one.
Unless Vingegaard goes to another GT as leader, but that seems unlikely with barely any TT kms in the Giro and Roglic going for revanche again in the Vuelta.

Apparently in the paywalled article he says something like "Giro, Tour or both." So likely no Vuelta for Dumo
I don’t see that in the article. It says he

Tom Dumoulin has revealed that he will return to targeting the overall classification at a Grand Tour in 2022 but did not specify if he will take aim at the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France or Vuelta a España.”

The Writer of the article says,

”Dumoulin could return to the Giro d’Italia, a race he won in 2017, but could also be tempted to build his form during 2022 and then target the Vuelta. This year’s race starts in the Netherlands and has both a team time trial and an individual time trial that could help Dumoulin pull back any time lost in the steep mountains. “

Theres no actual news in the article.

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
Clearly, first even if there is only 25km of lTT it's already 1'30-2min on Lopez /Yates/Landa/ Carapaz & co. When you see that in the TDF 2020 he was 7th, at less than 2min of Landa and Mas 5th and 6th, 1min of Lopez in very mountainous TDF with only one TT (with the planche des belles filles who is normally to the advantage of thèse Guy), With a TD who back to racing After 420 days, overtrained according to him and saddle problems. I don't know why je couldn't fight for the pink or for the podium.

Clearly, first even if there is only 25km of lTT it's already 1'30-2min on Lopez /Yates/Landa/ Carapaz & co. When you see that in the TDF 2020 he was 7th, at less than 2min of Landa and Mas 5th and 6th, 1min of Lopez in very mountainous TDF with only one TT (with the planche des belles filles who is normally to the advantage of thèse Guy), With a TD who back to racing After 420 days, overtrained according to him and saddle problems. I don't know why je couldn't fight for the pink or for the podium.
yeah... but then he took some time off in 2021. Although he was already on a very high level at the olympics TT and Benelux Tour, we don't know about climbing yet.

Saw him training in Maastricht yesterday btw, looked very lean.

Tom doubters, is your theory that he won’t get back to his level or that his old level isnt competitive at the very top end of the current field?
I'm not a Tom doubter, i've always been somewhat of a fan of his. But i do fear his 2017-2018 level won't be enough to compete with the Slovenians. Podium, yes. Any GT without Pog/Rog, yes. And on top of that i also fear he might not even reach his old level, when in fact he should even do better than his old level.

yeah... but then he took some time off in 2021. Although he was already on a very high level at the olympics TT and Benelux Tour, we don't know about climbing yet.

Saw him training in Maastricht yesterday btw, looked very lean.
hv6D2yS.png

I don't think there are Tom doubters. It is just that some people have concerns about the time off from last year and racing a bit less than usual. Probably the biggest concern that I have is if he is going to pick up exactly where he left off when he was challenging for GT's.
I think oddly, the biggest Tom doubter is...Tom. He's said as much many times and his actions have backed this up. I think when he shows he really wants to be there, and then starts compete for the win in top races, we'll all see that and believe in what he's doing. Maybe he's heading in that direction. I hope so, I like him as a rider.

I think he will surprise many people this season. To me, he showed at OG TT that he still got it. He was second after alien Roglic, but to come back after quitting and beating the likes of Rohan, Gana and Kung, it shows he still has the physical aspect. Only question is his headspace. I reckon he will put Pogacar in his place already at UAE Tour :D. In more serious note, he will win Giro 2022.

TRENDING THREADS