• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems that Dumoulin slightly benefited that his peak came at a time where the then current generation started to slightly decline, while the new kids on the block weren't quite there.

Even though Bardet looks quite sharp again and Carapaz somehow is a late bloomer.

But for those you mentioned that were already around when Dumoulin had his first gc attempts at the 2015 Tour of Switzerland and Vuelta a Espana it certainly was the case in 2017 & 2018.

Well first and foremost it's Dumoulin having too little hard racing between 2019 and 2022 I think. 2020 was decent but level was already starting to go. The 2021 break was the nail in the coffin, as far as GC readiness goes.

If he's willing I think he can still be a great TT-er/stage-hunter and perhaps even classics man.

Reactions: Sandisfan
FSqGwOzWYAU-kHE

FSpi-tkXsAARZDu

It seems that Dumoulin slightly benefited that his peak came at a time where the then current generation started to slightly decline, while the new kids on the block weren't quite there.

however, perhaps more than anyone his GT ambitions have been thwarted by the recent GT routes that have largely eliminated TT.

Dumo might have been the dominant GT rider of his time if we still had 100+ kms of TT.

Would have won more the brief window of time he made podiums in GTs. But in these days 0 or 100km of TTs it would still be a Pog vs Rog show.
The only thing Roglic is really superior to peak Dumoulin at (which we might never see again) is his punchy sprints. I think on his best day Dumoulin was a better TT'er and an equally good climber. So i think he would have had as much chance as Roglic to beat Pogacar. But where as Roglic has been rather consistent for the past 4 years, Dumoulin has not.

Reactions: Big Doopie
The only thing Roglic is really superior to peak Dumoulin at (which we might never see again) is his punchy sprints. I think on his best day Dumoulin was a better TT'er and an equally good climber. So i think he would have had as much chance as Roglic to beat Pogacar. But where as Roglic has been rather consistent for the past 4 years, Dumoulin has not.
Nah they're not the same level climbing wise. Even in his lone GT win Dumoulin got dropped in the mountains several times.

The thing with Roglič is he is always underrated. Likely due to being a ski jumper. But once you start adding things up. GT hat-trick, second at the Tour, third at Giro (injured), monument winner, best week long stage racer, great one day racer, Olympic ITT champion, silver ITT word champion ... Mountain top finish sprints are just icing on the cake.

Would have won more the brief window of time he made podiums in GTs. But in these days 0 or 100km of TTs it would still be a Pog vs Rog show.

2015-2019

Could have racked up a ton of wins.

been the big mig of those years easy.

I like Rog. Particularly his good sportsmanship and ability to shrug things off. Truly admirable. Talent-wise he gives me a cadel evans vibe. Really hardworking.

my 2 cents

2015-2019

Could have racked up a ton of wins.

been the big mig of those years easy.

I like Rog. Particularly his good sportsmanship and ability to shrug things off. Truly admirable. Talent-wise he gives me a cadel evans vibe. Really hardworking.

my 2 cents

No. I am an Australian and I say please don't compare him to Cadel.

And that's in defence of Roglic!

Last year's Vuelta multi mountain stage, with - and destroying - Bernal. Evans could never produce that level.

TRENDING THREADS