• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Opened this thread and first thing I saw was Tony Martin going for GC at Tirreno.

Oh booy, brught tears to my eyeys those comments.

On that postion and Tony - he's by far the best ITT'er right now, no one is close to him. Phinney could be though.

Gloin22 said:
Opened this thread and first thing I saw was Tony Martin going for GC at Tirreno.

Oh booy, brught tears to my eyeys those comments.

On that postion and Tony - he's by far the best ITT'er right now, no one is close to him. Phinney could be though.
Phinney and probably Durbridge in a few years, but not yet.

Netserk said:
It only counts if you get to wear stripes, so no.

No, I said "won most world championship gold medals". That means it counts whenever he wins a world championship gold medals.

He now has 5 so by my count he has more than anyone else in history, unless as del pointed out there are some who won multiple in u23. Cant see it though. Cancellara won a silver as did Freire (though that would be 4 for Freire)

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No, I said "won most world championship gold medals". That means it counts whenever he wins a world championship gold medals.

He now has 5 so by my count he has more than anyone else in history, unless as del pointed out there are some who won multiple in u23. Cant see it though. Cancellara won a silver as did Freire (though that would be 4 for Freire)

Cance won 6 gold medals

Tony has won every single flat ITT (which is everyone except the second in the Tour, the one in the Vuelta and the uphill prologue in Romandie) this year that he has participated in! _O_

Volta ao Algarve, Stage 4 : Castro Marim - Tavira I.T.T. (34.8 km)

Tirreno - Adriatico, Stage 7 : San Benedetto del Tronto I.T.T. (9.2 km)

Vuelta al Pais Vasco, Stage 6 : Beasain - Beasain I.T.T. (24 km)

Tour de Romandie, Stage 5 : Genève - Genève I.T.T. (18.7 km)

Ronde van België / Tour de Belgique, Stage 3 : Beveren - Beveren I.T.T. (15 km)

Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 4 : Villars-les-Dombes - Parc des Oiseaux I.T.T. (32.5 km)

National Championships Germany (Wangen) I.T.T. (50 km)

Tour de France, Stage 11 : Avranches - Mont-Saint-Michel I.T.T. (33 km)

World Championships (Montecatini Terme - Firenze) I.T.T. (57.9 km)

Talk about dominating :cool:

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
After today's race he stated, that he is not going for the GC experiment and that he won't lose weight for this. His big goal is Rio 2016 and the Gold Medal in the TT.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Lupetto said:
After today's race he stated, that he is not going for the GC experiment and that he won't lose weight for this. His big goal is Rio 2016 and the Gold Medal in the TT.

That's good to hear, glad he's learned that losing weight to target GC's is pointless when he can dominate the TT.

Really dominating ride by him today, if he continues for the next couple years TTing like has been he could become the greatest time trialist in cycling history.

Where's Bavarianrider by the way?

Afrank said:
That's good to hear, glad he's learned that losing weight to target GC's is pointless when he can dominate the TT.

Really dominating ride by him today, if he continues for the next couple years TTing like has been he could become the greatest time trialist in cycling history.

I don't see why Martin couldn't become a gt contender. He has shown glimpses of being a far better climber than Wiggins pre transformation.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I suppose if Wiggins can do it...

Of course, like Wiggins, all the stars would have to align. Time trial heavy route, the right team, weak competition (or maybe just not a ton of elite climbers for competition), etc. Personally, I would rather go for becoming the best time trialist then try to become a GC rider and hope that everything comes together one year.

Afrank said:
Well, I suppose if Wiggins can do it...

Of course, like Wiggins, all the stars would have to align. Time trial heavy route, the right team, weak competition.

Vuelta 11 was a tt heavy course?

Oh, you mean winning the tdf right? Well thats not the same as gt contender but fair enough.

Dont want to hijack the thread but cant let this go.

None of this was neccesary for Wiggins. For 1 the competition wasnt weak. It had Nibali who is the best non sky gt rider in the world now that Contador is ****.

Route was time trial heavy but didnt need it. He was better than all his opponents in the mountains, and even an uber short tt course would have given him enough of a lead. If you take away every single tt km from the 2012 Tour wiggins still ends up as the winner.

Figure that.

Netserk said:
Tony has won every single flat ITT (which is everyone except the second in the Tour, the one in the Vuelta and the uphill prologue in Romandie) this year that he has participated in! _O_

Vuelta al Pais Vasco, Stage 6 : Beasain - Beasain I.T.T. (24 km)

This one was hilly- even better.

Congrats to Tony for his dominant victory.

Afrank said:

I couldn't log in to the forum for the last couple of days. Don't know why.

Anyway, it's working again.

Well i hope Tony has a go at Paris Roubaix than. I don't really think he'll be sucesfull there, but it's still the race that should offer him the ebst chances within the classics. Being a TT guy only would really be a waste of his talent.
So if he decides to no do the GC thing, Tony should look for a new challenge. TT and Roubaix should co exist well.

TRENDING THREADS