• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Bavarianrider said:
To sum it up.
He says that after the altitude training, his engine is still abit rusty. He thinks he'll need some hard miles to get it run smoothly gain. He expects a tough mountain finish tomorrow. His main goal is the TT.
News flash for Tony

EVERYBODY, and I really mean everybody, with GC aspirations in the Tour just came back from altitude training.
Evans, Van den Broeck, Sanchez, Gesink, you name em, they all just returned from 2300+m and beyond. ...

So uhm, if they did the same and are ahead in a discipline that is really tony's, then i worry

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
News flash for Tony

EVERYBODY, and I really mean everybody, with GC aspirations in the Tour just came back from altitude training.
Evans, Van den Broeck, Sanchez, Gesink, you name em, they all just returned from 2300+m and beyond. ...

So uhm, if they did the same and are ahead in a discipline that is really tony's, then i worry

i still believe that the bavarian makes a lot for sense than ryo. really.
he is in the ACF level right? funny fanboyism. little fatcs, lots of fiction.

with ryo i can only remember "rujano is going to kill them--oh he had stomach pain... rujano is going to kill them today!!!!--oh, the rain..rujano is going to kill them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--oh, he was bored.... I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!.... he can put more than 8W\kg for an entyre day!!!!--he just stops to eat...and he eats a lot. that's also why he does not win, he needs to eat but those gels...nhack""

Dekker_Tifosi said:
News flash for Tony

In all fairness, though, Martin needs the racing kilometers to improve on his form. That's always been the case, as far as I know.

Like in Romandie, for example. He improved considerably as the race went on.

(but now I have my doubts considering the course.)

He finished in a solid bad place today.

93. MARTIN Tony 21 HTC - HIGHROAD 3h 39' 22" + 02' 40"

There arn't many options to explain this:
1. He is bad, can't climb at all and will never win a pro race again.
2. He's simply out of form.
3. He had a bad day.
4. He's doing the Sastre thing.
5. This is a singn of the world coming to an end.
6. This is a singn of the world beiing saved from evil forces.

Tony is not interested and saves energy for the TT. Quiet obvious. He'll test his legs on Wednesday and he'll go either for the Saturday or Sunday stage. No need to worry. Tony just changed his gameplan. Nothing to be worried of.
But as a man of honor, i admit that my Top 5 prediction was wrong. So you guys can start thinking about a new avatar for me

Bavarianrider said:
Tony is not interested and saves energy for the TT. Quiet obvious. He'll test his legs on Wednesday and he'll go either for the Saturday or Sunday stage. No need to worry. Tony just changed his gameplan. Nothing to be worried of.
But as a man of honor, i admit that my Top 5 prediction was wrong. So you guys can start thinking about a new avatar for me

was our avatar bet for the dauphine or the tour? i think the tour lol

also he couldn't even keep up with samu and gesink who were both soft pedalling and enjoying the show. so lol if you still think he can climb

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
News flash for Tony

3000m and beyond for VDB. He always trains at the Sierra Nevada. Where does Gesink train for altitude?

Parrulo said:
was our avatar bet for the dauphine or the tour? i think the tour lol

also he couldn't even keep up with samu and gesink who were both soft pedalling and enjoying the show. so lol if you still think he can climb

Both Dauphine Top 5, Tour Top 10

So you can change my avatar after the Dauphine and i have a shot to win it abck at the Tour

How do you know Tony wASN#T SOFTPEDALING TOOß

Bavarianrider said:
Both Dauphine Top 5, Tour Top 10

So you can change my avatar after the Dauphine and i have a shot to win it abck at the Tour

How do you know Tony wASN#T SOFTPEDALING TOOß

for some1 who can top 10 a GT, according to you ofc, even if he were soft pedalling he wouldn't lose that much time. just look at samu and gesink . . . .

but ofc next weekend will confirm that. ;)

Parrulo said:
for some1 who can top 10 a GT, according to you ofc, even if he were soft pedalling he wouldn't lose that much time. just look at samu and gesink . . . .

but ofc next weekend will confirm that. ;)

Well Gesink and Sanchez are natural climbers. While Tony is a big guy who has to run on all cylinders to be upfront in the mountains. But once that big Diesel starts running hot there's little who can stop him. Just give him a couple of days.

Bavarianrider said:
If he's truly targeting the Tour GC, he'd better get a proper test in the mountains.

Tony Martin: "My legs exploded."

He blames yesterdays' poor performance on the fact that he hasn't raced in a bit. He is confident things will get better, or so he says.

Beine explodiert
06.Jun2011

Einmal über den Punkt gegangen und nicht mehr erholt. Bei einer Attacke von Winokurow am Schlussanstieg bin ich direkt ans Hinterrad gesprungen, musste aber voll ans Limit gehen und habe etwas überzogen. Mir sind die Beine explodiert und mit einem Mal ging gar nichts mehr. Mit 2:40 Minuten Rückstand auf Tagessieger Jurgen van den Broeck bin ich ins Ziel gekommen. Das ist sicherlich symptomatisch, wenn man länger nicht unter Rennbelastung gefahren ist. Im Training kommt man nur schwer in diese Bereiche. Momentan kann ich noch nicht ganz so gut mobilisieren. Aber das kommt. Auch wenn es heute nicht so gut wie erhofft lief, bin ich zuversichtlich. Morgen sind dann die Sprinter dran - also auch unser Jonny.

TRENDING THREADS