• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As for Valgren - yes he can do the same job - but both Honore and Kron have been better, last year and this year
In what races?
Kron has never ridden a Monument in his life. As far as I know, the longest race he's done was the NC last week, and it's not like he won with a one minute gap on the peloton.
Honore has ridden 2 Monuments in his life and cracked the top50 once (yes, he was working for others, but still...).
In the time frame you mention Valgren was 11th in a very hard WC, 21th in the Ronde, 13th in AGR. He also has a history of overperforming in national teams events, as @Samu Cuenca says.

The youngsters have surely impressed in the last few months, but this is a different beast entirely. We're talking about 237 km Olympic course with almost 5000 mt of climbing. Winning a Catalunya or Itzulia stage to me has little relevance in this context.

In what races?
Kron has never ridden a Monument in his life. As far as I know, the longest race he's done was the NC last week, and it's not like he won with a one minute gap on the peloton.
Honore has ridden 2 Monuments in his life and cracked the top50 once (yes, he was working for others, but still...).
In the time frame you mention Valgren was 11th in a very hard WC, 21th in the Ronde, 13th in AGR. He also has a history of overperforming in national teams events, as @Samu Cuenca says.

The youngsters have surely impressed in the last few months, but this is a different beast entirely. We're talking about 237 km Olympic course with almost 5000 mt of climbing. Winning a Catalunya or Itzulia stage to me has little relevance in this context.

They have won.

Italian team

RR: Moscon, Bettiol, Nibali, Caruso, Ciccone
TT: Ganna, Bettiol
I can understand why Formolo won't be there. Giro+Tour and the jetlag is probably too much.
He is also faster than Formolo in a sprint.

No Ulissi is the most important thing. He's a great stagehunter and a guy for semiclassics, but a poor descender and he can't really handle a long, hard one day race.

I could care less about the Olympics. I’ll watch it and a lot of riders invest in it, but it’s just not my thing when it comes to cycling. I’ll watch it and enjoy it, but don’t find it any more valuable than a Lombardía, LBL, or rainbow jersey.

On the plus side, this course is pretty badass.

Benoot, Vansevenant and Van Avermaet will join Van Aert & Evenepoel.
Not sure if Van Avermaet can still be of use on this course.
I don't recall the rules, is he selected on a personal extra spot because he is the reigning champion, or does the country just get an extra spot and the federation decides?
I would think neither? We got 5 spots, same as other countries, and his name has only just been revealed, so he had no more "dibs" on that spot than anybody else.

He'll be the road captain. Last year at the Worlds he proved to be a good teammate for Van Aert, and on a good day he can still survive a hard course in a one day race. He's usually also very resistant to heat.

I agree the years begin to count a little and he's not always up there as much as he was for many, many times. But he still can be of value, and I believe he will show himself in Tour the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Colombians have to play this smart because they've chosen an unbalanced - They must ensure one of their riders gets into every break as they have no flat land grunt in the team , outside of Martinez.
Every country has a small team, so not a lot of countries have the "luxury" of having a dedicated flat road domestique. There are countries with only one or two participants. Everybody will need to play it smart to maximize the potential of a small team. They can, just like many others, profit from the work of other teams. I think flat land grunt wouldn't get far on this course anyway. It's not like Higuita, Martinez and Uran can't hold their own on flat roads. For a moment i was thinking about Narvaez, but he's not colombian... Who would you have picked?

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS