• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, he maybe deserves a spot, but I guess Valverde had much influence about selection, and all this guys are his friends, and bar Gorka all rode with him in Innsbruck.

If that's the reason I can understand even better that Bilbao is angry.
Really, in general I like Valverde, he seems like a nice, warm-hearted person and what he continues to do at his age is jaw-dropping, but the influence he seems to have in Spanish cycling is almost ridiculous. For sure you like a helper you can trust, but how can everything at Movistar and in the Spanish selection be about what and whom he likes and wants?
I just hope that's not true.

For me, it would have been a tough selection, Bilbao is a very strong rider, but it's not like the others aren't and maybe on this route they can do more. Anyway, the time to tell him like Bilbao says didn't seem perfect. These things are always so delicate, I don't know why coaches and managers cannot be a bit more sensitive with them.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
On another note, who are your favourites for the race?

The Spanish team seems very strong... on the other hand, how are they going to beat The Amazing Wout?

Of course I'm also hoping for a very good placing for Schachmann, and if he doesn't crash he should get that, but I don't see him winning.

The French squad is depleted, but still not weak.
The Colombians have a good team, but no favourite unless Higuita has saved himself.

Almeida should be good, but seems a bit lonely.

The Italians on the other hand also have an amazing team, around Ciccone, I suppose.

What I wish for the most is a win for Kwiatkowski. Does he even start?

Oh, there are so many amazing possibilities, I can't wait for this race!

Reactions: Sandisfan
On another note, who are your favourites for the race?

The Spanish team seems very strong... on the other hand, how are they going to beat The Amazing Wout?

Of course I'm also hoping for a very good placing for Schachmann, and if he doesn't crash he should get that, but I don't see him winning.

The French squad is depleted, but still not weak.
The Colombians have a good team, but no favourite unless Higuita has saved himself.

Almeida should be good, but seems a bit lonely.

The Italians on the other hand also have an amazing team, around Ciccone, I suppose.

What I wish for the most is a win for Kwiatkowski. Does he even start?

Oh, there are so many amazing possibilities, I can't wait for this race!
I don't see anyone beating Van Aert. Only Pogacar and maybe the Yates bros if they're in peak shape might have a chance.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Did Landa get snubbed or is he not fit enough for selection after the Giro crash injuries?

Pogacar looks the favourite and if Roglic is also there they can play the cards of firing into all the moves rather than trying to hold the race together. A slight disadvantage to have 4 rather than 5 riders but Pogi has spent most of his 3 Grand Tours with very little team around him and flourished.

Schedule
  • Saturday, July 24: Men's Road Race from 3 AM (GMT+1)
  • Sunday, July 25: Women's Road Race from 5 AM (GMT+1)
  • Wednesday, July 28: Woman's Time Trial from 3:30 AM (GMT+1) and Men's Time Trial from 6 AM (GMT+1)
Just realised, that the Olympic road race will already take place in 11 days.. :)
So the race will start at 3 AM (GMT+1 so in the middle of the night here). When is the estimated finish time? Seems that one can easily watch the finale in the morning here'?

Didn't saw him doing much of a work, and I guess main reason for waiting his captain is because he was not in contention for the win.
They barely showed the leaders between the crest of the penultimate climb and the foot of the final climb. When they did it always was van Aert leading the group though. And as G. Martin has shown us the decent took quite some energy from those leading it.

They barely showed the leaders between the crest of the penultimate climb and the foot of the final climb. When they did it always was van Aert leading the group though. And as G. Martin has shown us the decent took quite some energy from those leading it.
Regardless of van Aert's performance on Sunday, it can be said that there are riders in the peloton who are better suited to the Mikuni Pass than van Aert. So it will be their task to gain enough time on him here, so that van Aert cannot catch up the time he lost on this mountain in the last 34 km. Because in a sprint he will be dificult to beat...

Regardless of van Aert's performance on Sunday, it can be said that there are riders in the peloton who are better suited to the Mikuni Pass than van Aert. So it will be their task to gain enough time on him here, so that van Aert cannot catch up the time he lost on this mountain in the last 34 km. Because in a sprint he will be dificult to beat...

I'm also doubting the tactics of the Belgian team and also sometimes van Aert's own tactics. I still think he could have won the last WC if he had worked more in the group - I think he still could have won the sprint from the group.
So if it gets tactical I'm not sure he's going to make it. Otherwise I think there's enough time after the Mikuni Pass to catch whoever went up faster than him there.

It would be amazing if van Aert and Pogacar went really head to head in the final of a one day race.

But it would be even cooler if an "outsider" made it after a wild series of events like the last time...

Just realised, that the Olympic road race will already take place in 11 days.. :)
So the race will start at 3 AM (GMT+1 so in the middle of the night here). When is the estimated finish time? Seems that one can easily watch the finale in the morning here'?

Japan Standard Time (JST, +9) to Central European Summer Time (CEST, +2) is 7 hours earlier, so the men's road race starts 04:00 (CEST) and is expected to finish 11:15 (CEST)

Date and Time: Sat 24 July 11:00 - 18:15
Venues: Fuji International Speedway

• Men's Road Race
  • Men's Road Race Victory Ceremony
*Start from Musashinonomori Park.

Date and Time: Sun 25 July 13:00 - 17:35

• Women's Road Race
  • Women's Road Race Victory Ceremony
*Start from Musashinonomori Park.

Date and Time: Wed 28 July 11:30 - 17:40

• Women's Individual Time Trial
  • Women's Individual Time Trial Victory Ceremony
  • Men's Individual Time Trial
  • Men's Individual Time Trial Victory Ceremony

Favorites will probably be the nations that can go with a 1-2 at Mikuni as in have one guy attack and try to TT it to the finish and have the other guy just sitting on the chasers. Which would make Slovenia the big favorite if Pogacar and Roglic are fit and recovered/rested enough. Belgium and Spain kinda as well, who else?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts